gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 01:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Hi all I'm looking to buy a Bmx
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hi all I'm looking to buy a Bmx  (Read 11967 times)

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Hi all I'm looking to buy a Bmx
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 03:37 PM »
thanks for that would love to build a bike from scratch but work commitments no time

i've seen a few on ebay and have messaged the sellers
heres one of them don't like the crank design

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232234920910?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

i'm looking to spend £200 max at the moment

also looking at this beauty but might go way over my budget

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172528376264?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Stay away from that first link you posted mate... it's a real POS. :-\

The bars in the second link you posted would gobble up your budget so I'd say that's a no no too.  :LolLolLolLol:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

griff

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 03:51 PM »
Try not to be too impulsive/impatient or you'll end up paying over the odds for some real crap

Your budget pretty much rules out anything Old School unless you get very lucky (but that budget would still only really get you something that needs a bit of fettling, which you said you don't have time for)

New school bikes can be had easily for that money - a decent one second hand would be a good starting point as you would be able to find full cromo F&F/bars/sealed hubs etc for that money BUT they are only really suitable for proper riding on ramps etc, not cruising (unless you jack the seat right up)

So... I'm back around the mid school era... your best bet would be to bide your time and see what comes up, in the meantime do some digging around the sales section here to see what completes have gone for in the past and what sort of thing you like the look of best

ebay and gumtree are full of chancers and scumbags just dying to fob you off with some old shite they have decided is worth thousands

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 04:00 PM »
I don't know much about these but looks ok...someone else may have a different opinion who actually knows about them...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/old-mid-school-mongoose-menace-bmx-20inch-wheels-/112302366962?hash=item1a25be20f2:g:tZoAAOSw2xRYcnXW
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline AceFto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 04:02 PM »
thanks guys the seller is dodgy
says its sold last month on shpock
and then another listing, rang him he wants payment asap and nothing about collection address as I had previously mentioned to him
then he messaged saying his phone broke so he can only message no calls,

just going to keep my eye out on a nice bike ad go and collect it  cheers chaps

What is your max budget? I don't have a bike to sell you, just need to know before I can make any reccs. I spend a lot of time hawking on Ebay for parts etc so will keep my eyes open for you :)

If you think you can build a BMX I suggest this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Heavy-Tools-BMX-Frame-Vintage-old-school-bmx-mid-school-bmx-khe-/302204186968?hash=item465cc5f158:g:oyUAAOSw5cNYhmBy

I had one in the late 90s. It is a copy of the Standard Shorty and I put mine through merry hell and it came out fighting. I have never had such a strong frame tbh. I rode down a 50ft fire escape on that thing and did not get the front wheel up at the bottom. There was this enormous crack and I thought I had snapped the frame. Turns out I had snapped the bearing cup in half and all of the bearings fell out. Took it home, grabbed a set of cups and pressed them in, perfect.

It's also a great shape for flatland tricks etc with a good geometry.

how much do you think it will cost to build this

griff

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 04:05 PM »
I don't know much about these but looks ok...someone else may have a different opinion who actually knows about them...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/old-mid-school-mongoose-menace-bmx-20inch-wheels-/112302366962?hash=item1a25be20f2:g:tZoAAOSw2xRYcnXW

that hasn't changed my opinion much about bikes on ebay  :teef:

Offline AceFto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:

Offline AceFto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 04:38 PM »
thanks for that would love to build a bike from scratch but work commitments no time

i've seen a few on ebay and have messaged the sellers
heres one of them don't like the crank design

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232234920910?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

i'm looking to spend £200 max at the moment

also looking at this beauty but might go way over my budget

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172528376264?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Stay away from that first link you posted mate... it's a real POS. :-\

The bars in the second link you posted would gobble up your budget so I'd say that's a no no too.  :LolLolLolLol:

cheers dude thats out the window  fistblump

Offline AceFto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Try not to be too impulsive/impatient or you'll end up paying over the odds for some real crap

Your budget pretty much rules out anything Old School unless you get very lucky (but that budget would still only really get you something that needs a bit of fettling, which you said you don't have time for)

New school bikes can be had easily for that money - a decent one second hand would be a good starting point as you would be able to find full cromo F&F/bars/sealed hubs etc for that money BUT they are only really suitable for proper riding on ramps etc, not cruising (unless you jack the seat right up)

So... I'm back around the mid school era... your best bet would be to bide your time and see what comes up, in the meantime do some digging around the sales section here to see what completes have gone for in the past and what sort of thing you like the look of best

ebay and gumtree are full of chancers and scumbags just dying to fob you off with some old shite they have decided is worth thousands

will be looking closely at the for sale section , I've seen mostly every Bmx on eBay my wife thinks I've gone mad lol
really appreciate your advice  :daumenhoch:

Offline AceFto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 04:45 PM »
if all fails what are your opinions on going for the kush 2+
for a cruiser for now I have 5 days till this one ends on eBay

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 04:55 PM »
Everyone will have a different opinion about what's good and what isn't. If you're after mid school and chrome, and with a limited budget, maybe look for a diamond back (two words) /diamondback (one word) Venom. Ok, so they aren't the best bikes in the world, but:
They come in chrome, they are a bit on the heavy side but robust, they have an old school look but are from 1995/96, and they are fairly cheap

Here's an example of an albeit slightly tatty one on ebay

A nice example on bmxmuseum (but not for sale)

And another twist, done in an old school style. This one's mine, and defo not for sale

Another option could be a Dyno comp/slammer/air/vfr. These were made throughout the 90's, and i dont think the prices are too bad. Someone might correct me, or say they're crap. I don't know much about midschool to be honest. Just giving you a few suggestions...

As others have pretty much said, ebay is full of overpriced crap. If it looks all blingy with white wall tyres, handle bars pushed forward, is on for a 'buy it now' and hasn't sold, then that means that it's probably crap and being listed at 2-3 times it's true value, probably by some idiot who thinks they own something that's rare and high end. Avoid these sellers like the plague-you will get ripped off. Just browsing for bikes after reading this thread has made me shudder. Some prize tools out there. Be aware!!

Offline AceFto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 06:54 PM »
That adidas bike is epic love it and the work u have done to it
Absolutely fantastic

Offline AceFto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 01:20 PM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Hsin-Lung-CW-Bars-Full-Pro-Size-28-4130-Chro-moly-vintage-old-school-bmx-/302229350687?hash=item465e45e91f:g:T3YAAOSwNRdX9~~X

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302204186968?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Frame and Forks would be £100
Bars £22.50
Headset £5
Stem in silver or black £12.50

just striking a deal with the guy got to go old skool he's doing me a special price

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 03:58 PM »
I'm no midschool expert, but that looks expensive ???

I've just sent you a pm as I have something dirt cheap lying around but you need to put a bit of effort into cleaning it up. I also have tubs of midschool stuff that you could probably build a bike out of, or at least get you 90% of the way there :coolsmiley:
Still limping......

griff

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 04:13 PM »
he's doing me a special price

is he?  :chin:

I've just sent you a pm as I have something dirt cheap lying around but you need to put a bit of effort into cleaning it up. I also have tubs of midschool stuff that you could probably build a bike out of, or at least get you 90% of the way there :coolsmiley:

I would strongly suggest you at least have a look at the above - no idea what's on offer but despite his limited height Spen is an honourable fellow and a much better source of advice than someone off ebay

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 04:15 PM »

The frame is a great price. I paid £100 for mine BITD. This sort of stuff usually gains value, not loses it.

And I can vouch for that frame literally with my life. It's a Standard Shorty replica (they were about £400 for the frame) and it's built like a tank.

I used to use it for gaps, drops and so on. I bought it to abuse, because my daily rider cost a fortune. Any way, one day we were out at the local leisure centre and I saw the fire escape. Big old diamondplate metal steps and the height of a swimming pool ceiling. I was determined to ride it, but at the bottom there was a hole where people had been up and down it a lot. Probably to clean the skylight windows but yeah, a good old depression in the mud.

I knew I was going to have to pull up at the bottom. If I didn't bad things would happen. What I totally didn't calculate was how fast I would be going and how close to impossible pulling up would be. I landed with a serious crack and sat on the seat waving my hands around in agony. Mates were all cracking up laughing. Any way, the headset was all of a sudden very very loose. I thought I had either snapped the frame or the forks. Turns out I actually shattered the bearing cup and all of the bearings had fallen out.

Rode it home, pressed in a new headset and I was off again.

I don't think you will get a bike like that for less than £65. It's fantastic for pretty much every type of riding too other than race.

Plus of course you can put Standard decals on (I might be able to help there dude, for free of course :) )

The seller is OK. He's quite short tempered I noticed from reading his feedback but I have bought from him and the seat I bought came quickly :)

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 04:20 PM »
Oh BTW. I have some parts kicking around. You can have them for postage. I've got grips, brake levers, tyres (I might need these yet will let you know) as well as a few other bits and bobs. Got a brand new Blank pivotal seat in orange, black rail seat (padded).

I just want it gone, so you pay the postage whatever it may be. I've got a brand new orange chain as well, so if you do an orange build you would be pretty much sorted. Just some grips and your colour code is done :)

I also have some brand new 9/16 pedals (black) a chain disc/ring (black and chrome) and whatever else I can find. Tomorrow I will get it all together and get you a pic.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:27 PM by Midschoolfool »

Offline AceFto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 04:31 PM »

Hi Spen replied to your pm  :daumenhoch:

Offline AceFto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 04:32 PM »
he's doing me a special price

is he?  :chin:

I would strongly suggest you at least have a look at the above - no idea what's on offer but despite his limited height Spen is an honourable fellow and a much better source of advice than someone off ebay

brilliant thanks griff  :)

Offline AceFto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 04:34 PM »
Oh BTW. I have some parts kicking around. You can have them for postage. I've got grips, brake levers, tyres (I might need these yet will let you know) as well as a few other bits and bobs. Got a brand new Blank pivotal seat in orange, black rail seat (padded).

I just want it gone, so you pay the postage whatever it may be. I've got a brand new orange chain as well, so if you do an orange build you would be pretty much sorted. Just some grips and your colour code is done :)

I also have some brand new 9/16 pedals (black) a chain disc/ring (black and chrome) and whatever else I can find. Tomorrow I will get it all together and get you a pic.

thats brilliant thanks mate  :daumenhoch:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2017, 10:37 AM »
I am busy all day dude. I will gather it all together later and get some pics.

Offline AceFto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2017, 03:14 PM »
I am busy all day dude. I will gather it all together later and get some pics.

no problem thanks

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Pic.

Two SE racing street tyres. No branding. Black.

Three chain rings (assorted) and a ring adapter for 19mm cranks. There are two oldskool and one newskool depending on which you decide to make.

SE Racing wings grips and bar ends.

Brake pads (not pictured)

Orange KMC chain.

Blank orange padded pivotal seat.

SE racing plain black padded seat (no logos etc) no guts

Brake levers.

Salt AM plastic pedals (Shimano shaped) 9/16 (3 piece only)

Rear brake cable (black)

OK so here is the deal. I am not just going to send you these parts unless you need them. So, once you decide on frame forks etc post  a pic of it when you have it with your forum username on a piece of paper next to it.

I'm not funding you to buy a complete bike. I would rather give the parts away locally (there's a couple of chaps down here in my area).

I would imagine postage to cost around £20 tops because of the tyres. I will need to use an old microwave box and it's pretty bulky. Still, just the tyres alone would cost you that.

Offline AceFto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 05:13 PM »
Pic.

Two SE racing street tyres. No branding. Black.

Three chain rings (assorted) and a ring adapter for 19mm cranks. There are two oldskool and one newskool depending on which you decide to make.

SE Racing wings grips and bar ends.

Brake pads (not pictured)

Orange KMC chain.

Blank orange padded pivotal seat.

SE racing plain black padded seat (no logos etc) no guts

Brake levers.

Salt AM plastic pedals (Shimano shaped) 9/16 (3 piece only)

Rear brake cable (black)

OK so here is the deal. I am not just going to send you these parts unless you need them. So, once you decide on frame forks etc post  a pic of it when you have it with your forum username on a piece of paper next to it.

I'm not funding you to buy a complete bike. I would rather give the parts away locally (there's a couple of chaps down here in my area).

I would imagine postage to cost around £20 tops because of the tyres. I will need to use an old microwave box and it's pretty bulky. Still, just the tyres alone would cost you that.

thats brilliant mate really appreciate it

once again  Thank You  :daumenhoch:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 08:12 PM »
No worries. Let me know when you are all ready and I will get it packed up and get you some shipping quotes.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Hi all I'm looking to buy a Bmx

gfxgfx
gfx gfx