gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 16, 2024, 07:32 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  ***We were Rad*** Official Book submission/chat thread ***
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ***We were Rad*** Official Book submission/chat thread ***  (Read 15462 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: ***We were Rad*** Official Book submission/chat thread ***
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 12:49 PM »
I'm definitely up for this mate! I won't be able to submit any pics as the few that I have from bitd are buried in the bowels of my storage back in Blighty, but I'm happy to supply some stories! :daumenhoch:

Is there a deadline?
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 11:29 AM »
Christmas day 82

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 11:31 AM »
Great pic Paul. Somehow looks more pristine than even the finest builds  ???
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 12:03 PM »
Love these old photos just wish I had some from back in the day so many great memories

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2017, 02:40 PM »
One of my all time favourite pictures Paul! Love that Ultra Burner :smitten:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2017, 10:49 PM »
One of my all time favourite pictures Paul! Love that Ultra Burner :smitten:

I agree, a great photo. I love that you don't have any shoes on. Straight out of the house for a photo. I love it Paul

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 11:59 AM »
I've just had a load of negs and slides from the early to mid eighties transfered to digital that you may be able to use..

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 12:14 PM »
I will submit a few

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 12:23 PM »
Sounds good lads  :daumenhoch:

We really need some short (or not so short) pieces from everyone about their recollections to go with the pics  :)
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

griff

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Like I said, I don't have any pics from BITD, but one of my fiondest memories is below

There was that time that me and my BMXing mates were illegally trespassing on our bikes in the grounds of the local mental hospital.
They had these tennis courts on a bit of a hill, so they'd had to create 'terraces' to keep them level (with steep grassy gradients between them  :slayer: )
This meant that we were able to re-enact one of our favourite scenes from E.T. by pedaling like the clappers as if being chased by the cops, and then doing sweet jumps down the slopey bits

It was all going great Until my mate Darren went into a nosedive, landing from about 8 feet up - front wheel first with his gentleman's area firmly on his (unpadded) handlebar stem. Obviously none of us laughed at all as we were simply concerned about his wellbeing

Like fook  :2funny:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 05:38 PM »
More great stories and pics!

Please keep them coming lads!

We'd much rather go with you Radsters first before heading into FB.  fistblump

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 10:26 PM »
I havent got many pics but BITD i rode for a couple of shops in North Wales/Chester
Claude Crimes Cycles and Top Gear cycles sadly both now gone. 
Dave Park used to swap my DP Parts out FOC as he always wanted me on a great looking bike.

Me with Glyn Lewis fo a Magazine shoot in about 84

Cologne on a random strangers bike

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:35 PM by brettypeeps »

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 09:30 AM »
Amazing pics Brett and a great story to boot!  fistblump

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2017, 09:35 AM »
Excellent Brett, thanks for posting. Is that RAD's very own Retrodan on that first black & white photo?

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2017, 10:01 AM »
That picture of you with Glynn Lewis amazing !!!

We're thinking of a "....with our heroes" section this would be perfect :4_17_5:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2017, 03:30 PM »
I realise its quieter in here than previous years but im guessing at least 90% of the people reading this have some story to tell about their bmx years. It doesnt have to be "The day i met eddie fiola" we want alsorts of stories. How you chipped a tooth doing a kerb endo outside you mates house, dragging you bike over the school wall at the weekend because the playground was perfect to practice on, puting skyway stickers on your halfords turbo cos its all your parents could affort.... all that sort of stuff  :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2017, 04:07 PM »
Not sure if this is book material but...

Before our local track was built we made a makeshift track in the yard of an old derelict bus depot... concrete slab with a few dirt jumps and all that jazz. Anyway a kid who lived round the corner from me was riding his sisters Mini Burner and decided to hit a jump and do a bar cross-over but as he came in to land he hadn't manage to straighten up and hit the deck with his front wheel at 90° and went over the bars... like you do. Which we thought was fookin hilarious  :LolLolLolLol:  :LolLolLolLol:  He then got up and ran home screaming to which we thought "fookin mard arse". We later found out that as he landed he'd only gone and caught his ball bag on the exposed bar end and ripped the fooker right open as he flew over the bars.  :shocked:  Was fookin funny at the time but not so much afterwards.  :-\  Then again he always was a bit of a numbskull.  :bellend:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

griff

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 04:12 PM »
ball bag injury stories are always worth a read  :daumenhoch:

didn't Jono tear his open with a Kashi Aero on one of the rides?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2017, 04:28 PM »
ball bag injury stories are always worth a read  :daumenhoch:

didn't Jono tear his open with a Kashi Aero on one of the rides?

Never did see what all the fuss was about in kashi aeros........ even more so now  :shocked:

griff

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2017, 04:46 PM »
I might have got mixed up, but someone who was there will be able to confirm  :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2017, 06:26 PM »
Excellent Brett, thanks for posting. Is that RAD's very own Retrodan on that first black & white photo?

It certainly is. It was at the hawarden town show in 1985. I was on the Glyn Lewis prototype on the black and white photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2017, 06:27 PM »
Not sure if this is book material but...

Before our local track was built we made a makeshift track in the yard of an old derelict bus depot... concrete slab with a few dirt jumps and all that jazz. Anyway a kid who lived round the corner from me was riding his sisters Mini Burner and decided to hit a jump and do a bar cross-over but as he came in to land he hadn't manage to straighten up and hit the deck with his front wheel at 90° and went over the bars... like you do. Which we thought was fookin hilarious  :LolLolLolLol:  :LolLolLolLol:  He then got up and ran home screaming to which we thought "fookin mard arse". We later found out that as he landed he'd only gone and caught his ball bag on the exposed bar end and ripped the fooker right open as he flew over the bars.  :shocked:  Was fookin funny at the time but not so much afterwards.  :-\  Then again he always was a bit of a numbskull.  :bellend:

In my view, this ^ is perfect. Real recollections that we can all relate too. I was taking a run up to perform what in my mind would have been a spectacular jump over a large dirt jump. Unfortunately the run up was very narrow and bumpy. I hit a bump, lost the front end and landed in a stinging nettle bed. I wasn't wearing anything on my top half. I was only 7. Never known pain like it in me life

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2017, 06:29 PM »
I might have got mixed up, but someone who was there will be able to confirm  :daumenhoch:

Yes he did on the Chester ride in 2013/14 I think. New jeans were the order of the day but he bravely drunk through it.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2017, 06:33 PM »
That picture of you with Glynn Lewis amazing !!!

We're thinking of a "....with our heroes" section this would be perfect :4_17_5:

I knew Glyn well as a kid and he used to lodge with my parents.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 12:10 AM »
Keeping the tennis court theme started by griff above, here’s one of the many stories that springs to mind from bitd.

In my hometown there’s a mini golf course next to some tennis courts and of the many places we used to hang out at, we’d occasionally ride across the golf course, jumping up and down the various drops between and sometimes on the fairways and greens. Needless to say the owners were less than impressed and the groundsman would usually come out and run after us, shouting. We therefore didn’t go there too often as the fun was so short-lived, but it was definitely a buzz choosing a line across the course before being chased off!

Then one day, the groundsman upped the ante! A group of us were riding across the course when we suddenly heard an engine fire up, and turned round to see the groundsman, who was quite a large guy, sat on a little moped, riding straight towards us. The first reaction was laughter, because he looked way too big for the bike, and the second was to leg it! The fastest, most direct way out from where we were was the tarmac path that ran between the golf course and tennis courts, so I immediately got to the path and started pedaling like crazy. Unfortunately we all had the same idea, and with the path hemmed in by the tennis court fence on one side and a stone wall on the other, there was no room to overtake each other! We therefore raced line astern along the path, with the sound of the moped engine getting louder and louder behind us, laughing half at the sight of the guy and half in that nervous, excited way!

At the end of the path was a public pavement and a road, so when we reached that it was like a champagne bottle being popped, with bmx riders spraying out in all directions, irrespective of pedestrians or traffic. Thankfully none of us hit anything or anyone, and we shot off in different directions, leaving the groundsman shouting behind us. Regrouping later, we had a good laugh about it, and to be fair to the groundsman, it did stop us from going there. For a while! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:12 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  ***We were Rad*** Official Book submission/chat thread ***

gfxgfx
gfx gfx