gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 10:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Recreating my '98 Quadangle. Come with me on a journey of epic proportions.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Recreating my '98 Quadangle. Come with me on a journey of epic proportions.  (Read 7045 times)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Super work and fun read.
Looks like a very shiney fruit salad chew  8)

hahaha it does !

I have been calling it the banana split. A local fish and chip place I go to does a wicked banana split with strawberry syrup, it kinda reminded me of that :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
OK so the crank didn't prove to be very difficult and the powder is not too thick so the seat clamp went straight on.

I also fitted the seat to the post. Headset shipped yesterday, so I should get it Tuesday. Really loving how this is starting to (slowly) take shape now though !

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
I fitted the tyres and tubes today. One thing's for sure, they are gonna need a bath to get the yucky coating off. It's just gone everywhere :D

Tyre dandruff :D I got grenades for this bike as they reminded me of the cover of American Idiot (Green Day).

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Quick update. Still no headset. Must be coming tomorrow (he said, hopefully).

So today I was digging around on Ebay and had a few bucks and saw this.

And well, you know how it goes...

So I now own it.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Sold the seat from my Mike Buff so I got this :)

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
OK, big confession here: I have no idea how these 'detangler' thingies work. Not a clue. Never seen one in the day, never knew they even exisited until I came here. I can not be the only one?! I would love to know how they work; and not afraid to look silly!
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
OK, big confession here: I have no idea how these 'detangler' thingies work. Not a clue. Never seen one in the day, never knew they even exisited until I came here. I can not be the only one?! I would love to know how they work; and not afraid to look silly!

It's very simple dude. You get two "2 into 1" cables. The first goes into the brake lever and comes out as two cables. These two cables screw into the top plate (the I like it a lot thing) and then hook through into the top of the gyro. The top plate turns with the stem etc.

The second 2 into 1 cable goes 2 into the bottom of the gyro and then fixes to the frame (either on built in mounts, mounts you fit on modern bikes or a headset cup with them on) this stays still. That then goes down into 1 cable which goes to the brake.

The gyro is full of bearings so the top half and bottom half can spin independently of each other. As you pull the brake the gyro pulls up in "free air" sort of thing and pulls the bottom cable pulling the brake. If you rotate the bars the top half of the plate goes with them as you turn.

That's why I have had problems, because the headset I had was too fat to allow it to move up and down in free space.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Headset now fitted.

Currently waiting on gyro parts, then I can finally get it all fitted up.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Bars got some love today.

Renthal donuts :)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Seat and post fitted, front wheel/pegs fitted. Tyre is slightly buckled, will need more fettling. Front brake all done, bites like a dog :D

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
That's looking pretty funky mate.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Thanks man. Might try some chain shenanigans later. Hoping the chain is long enough tbh, bloody new school bikes ! might have to buy another one and join them up if it's not. It should look just like your avatar when I am finished :D

BTW forgot to mention. Pedals..

So I have a set of Shimano look alikes from my Mike Buff. However I spotted those yellow ones (Redneck) which have sealed bearings etc. So I bought them for like £7. Then I read reviews and apparently they like to snap :(

I might just wait until Friday when I can do it properly. Not decided yet. I think red will look better, but yeah will wait and see what happens. Way the weather has been you can't even open the front door without the wind taking your face off. Such is the price of living like 50ft from the beach.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 01:44 PM by Midschoolfool »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Chain.

Wheel fitted.

This is where the fun and games began. I shortened the chain (but not enough) and then the link extractor broke. I couldn't get the chain off and I threw a sulk and went for a nap. Woke up, took the Dremel to the extractor and modified it to use a screwdriver allen bit. Managed to get the chain off, shortened it and then when I tightened up the sprocket side of the wheel the peg was sliding on the welds and pulling the chain too tight. Took the peg off and ground it down a little and...

The chain is pretty tight but I am sure it will bed in.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
the chain is done and the pedals are now on.

The chain is painted. So I have spent twenty minutes or so running it with my hands up to speed. Which is making a mess.

I've seen it the other way up, but like a moron got carried away buying parts and forgot to buy a stand. Doh.

Tyredruff. This stuff is driving me nuts :S

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Now take it out to play!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
yeah get it outside need some action shots 

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Carlo's old ramps at Pagham would be a nice spot for photos  :daumenhoch:

Good place to smash yer front teeth out too  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Carlo's old ramps at Pagham would be a nice spot for photos  :daumenhoch:

Good place to smash yer front teeth out too  :LolLolLolLol:

Already done mate lol.

Is that Dean's ramp behind the arcade?

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Dunno who Dean is, but yeah, the big near derelict ones  :daumenhoch:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Who owns the arcade? Do you know? I'm sure he was called Dean. Used to be a pro apparently. I met him through a friend of his.

Tbh I was thinking the pier for the tart pics.

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Carlo Griggs built the ramps, or his dad did. This was back in the '80's. He was world champion way back i think.

Carlo owns Proper BMX.

His sister owns the cafe there, not sure if they own the whole lot though  :-\

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
I see. I'm originally from Brixton, London. I moved to the USA in 2000 and split with my wife out there and came back to the UK in 2008. I had this mate who I knew from Selsea and we agreed to meet at the arcade there. He told me the owner was called Dean and his brother was an ex pro/world champ. So unless my brain has gone foggy it may be his brother I met.

I ate at the café. Has American no plates on the walls yeah? I promised the owner my old ones but never went back.

I'm remarried now, so may go down there when it warms up a bit with my wife :)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
OK so you guys have waited long enough, sorry about that. The sun is hiding again and it's peeing with rain. We had one day of sunshine this week and typically it was "go see mum" day.

The bike is ready though. I aired up the tyres to 50 PSI yesterday when the pump came and dialled the brakes in a bit more (the back one). So she's ready to go now..

As for it being my "cheap" bike? um yeah, it was anything but. I figured it all out last night and got a big shock.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Looks sweet...I like it more than I thought I would. always a shocker when you add up a build afterwards!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Recreating my '98 Quadangle. Come with me on a journey of epic proportions.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx