gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 01:41 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Vintage BMX pre - 1980  |  Vintage Bikes  |  Yet another Mongoose thread.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Yet another Mongoose thread.  (Read 5507 times)

Offline CDBMX

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Yet another Mongoose thread.
« on: February 13, 2017, 03:34 PM »
With 2017 starting to look a bit more promising than 2016 ever did, I decided to throw all my 1977 Goose parts into a single pile just to see what I had. I bought this one as a bare frame about four years ago & had been picking up components whenever the planets aligned. In this case it means whenever the right part turned up at the same time that I had some spare cash to buy it.

I rounded up the big bits to photograph & took stock of the smaller stuff.
I have the pedals, some B/Brackets, headsets, stickers & pretty much anything else I might need but am still missing a 1977 dated Ashtabula crank. A correct unbranded, seat post clamp would be good too. The version with the square holes for the pinch bolt.  [Anyone?]
Anyway, yet another project that I will try to undertake this year.

I'll be building Quickies till the day I die, ..... & maybe a couple of days after that.

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
Re: Yet another Mongoose thread.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Looks like your off to a good start, albeit 4 years down the line!

These things take time............ 8)

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Can I have those wheels and tyres please?  :daumenhoch:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Can I have those wheels and tyres please?  :daumenhoch:

Wheels and tyres do look amazing ... I hope you finally manage to get this thing built this time :daumenhoch:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline CDBMX

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 11:19 PM »
Thanks for the comments blokes, it's much appreciated.
Taipan, let me think about that, ..... errrrr NO.  "nono"

My main collecting & historical research interest revolves almost exclusively around Aussie made Quicksilver BMX. This one was & is a backburner project. It was only the realisation that I have close to 90% of it that has propelled me to bring it forward

I currently have six BMX projects on the boil. Two are almost finished with the others at various points along the way so progress is slow. This is because as I am shopping for components for another nine or ten bikes that I haven't started yet. Some are survivor /riders, some incompletes & one or two bare frames, so I have years of squandering meagre resources ahead of me to look forward to.

I'm going to try & polish the nickle on this one as it is in surprisingly good shape, so if I don't have Carpal Tunnel injuries or RSI already, then that too will be something to look forward to.

I have placed an ad in the wanted section for a crank.    Looking for parts is a bit like sex. If you don't ask, you don't get, & during the last few years, for lack of opportunity, I have unfortunately been celibate. I hope that's not an omen.
I'll be building Quickies till the day I die, ..... & maybe a couple of days after that.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 06:25 PM »
That's going to be a nice early Goose  ::)

Offline CDBMX

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 03:26 AM »
I now have the correct, unbranded, square bolt hole, seat post clamp. This is a part that was frequently discarded in favour of something with colour & more bling when these bikes were new. So finding an original after 40 years can be a challenge, & it was. I actually need two, one for my 1978 Quicksilver, so if anyone has a spare, ..............

None the less, it's another small step forward. I have given up hope of finding a 'good as new' Messenger seat that doesn't require me to mortgage the house [again] but I have a new, quite similar looking quilted seat, & that will have to do untill I win the lottery.
The correct 1977 dated Ashtabula crank is what I seek for it now.

griff

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 08:45 AM »
Looks great so far, good luck in your quest!

Offline CDBMX

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 01:04 AM »
If there is one thing I have learned, it's that 'persistance pays' Keep asking for something often enough, & for long enough, then someone will give me a good lead, or sell me the item just to shut me up.
Works for me.

Offline CDBMX

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 12:37 AM »
Yep, persistance pays.
A 1976 dated Ashtabula crank, ex a rotted Mongoose, has been sourced.  Additionally a Messenger seat has also been secured. A bit tatty, but it will suffice. Correct seat post clamp also secured. Getting very close to having enough parts to start actually building a bike now.
I think I will build it as a survivor at first, then get on with a few other restorations that I have on the boil.

Offline CDBMX

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 09:16 AM »
Sadly, a bump in the road. It seems that after about 18 years I need to move from my current place of abode. To this end I am in the process of purchasing a modest house in a regional city some 45 miles away. With some luck I can start to move my stuff within a week, a process that might take as much as a month.

So I decided that I would assemble the 1977 Goose as a survivor so that all the parts were in the one place. I had not fitted the chain or pedals as the light was fading & I wanted to shoot some pictures. Hopefuly, this one will suffice.

The survivor headset was assembled from three used examples & the Schwinn bottom bracket from two. They are 100% serviceable, but have a patina that matches the bike.
The NOS wheels are a second set that I had. They came with all the original nuts & washers so I stuck them on but the unpainted ones will eventually be restored & fitted [see first post]
I switched the nice new lookalike seat that you can see in the first picture & replaced it with the good rider condition early Messenger example that I recently aquired

The nickle looks good enough to simply polish & I have a sticker set for it as well, so for now it goes into storage untill I move house, set up a new workshop & complete five other restorations that are fairly well advanced. Its mid autumn here now so I should be ready to go by the time the weather starts warming again.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Vintage BMX pre - 1980  |  Vintage Bikes  |  Yet another Mongoose thread.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx