gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975593 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 04, 2024, 06:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  finish identification - ACS Hubs
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: finish identification - ACS Hubs  (Read 1012 times)

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
finish identification - ACS Hubs
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:25 AM »
Hi, anybody know what the finish is on these acs hubs - the finish is original. I bought them on museum thinking they were anodised, but the finish is 'on top/over' and not like anodised 'in' the aluminium. The finish looks like a gold plastic film over the top. The hub bodies are in great condition and I'm looking to finish them after stripping em back to raw.

When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
Re: finish identification - ACS Hubs
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Coloured lacquer is used on ACS and SR hubs rather than anodising, same as Shimano pedals and the like.
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 10:53 AM »
You got to use paint stripper too remove the finish.
Just stripped a red set with this stuff I purchased .
Tried nitro mors paint remover and to be honest it is shite..
This stuff below did the job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-PAINT-REMOVER-STRIPPER-STRONG-EFFECTIVE-1-Litre-Restoration-Car-Body-/232246977570?hash=item3612ffa422:g:yS8AAOSwiLdV7w8l
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline CDBMX

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 08:07 AM »
I like the hubs & am slowly restoring a pair of 1979/'80 sealed bearing types. But Ady is right, the cheap arse painted finish, is crap. Just one scratch or paint chip that exposed the alloy underneath would lead to corrosion which worked its way under the paint leading to more paint falling off.
Painting them meant that they did not need to fully machine each hub & many will be seen as essentially been pulled from the casting mould with the mould join mark still evident.

ACS advertised this finish as being better than anodising. ................ They lied.
I'll be building Quickies till the day I die, ..... & maybe a couple of days after that.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  finish identification - ACS Hubs

gfxgfx
gfx gfx