gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 04:15 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Removing sealed bearing botoom bracket
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Removing sealed bearing botoom bracket  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Removing sealed bearing botoom bracket
« on: March 19, 2017, 02:03 PM »
Is there a special tool out there to remove sealed bearing bottom brackets -gently?
I saw some people using a screwdriver or something similar and a hammer, but all the bottom brackets suffered due to that procedure quite a bit.
In other words they looked pretty fooked.  ???

Many thanks in advance!  :daumenhoch:

Andy

rodriguez

Re: Removing sealed bearing botoom bracket
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 02:13 PM »
Bit of copper pipe as long as they've been not installed for a long time and the alloy has fused with the steel.

Obviously you don't want to beat the shit out of them but noone ever sees the back a few dents wont affect their performance.

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 02:14 PM »
Hammer and something rigid but not too hard to knock them out, think I used the a steel bar with a plastic cap on the end.

They will get slightly damaged though, the aluminium housings are pretty soft.

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 02:32 PM »
Bit of copper pipe as long as they've been not installed for a long time and the alloy has fused with the steel.

Obviously you don't want to beat the shit out of them but noone ever sees the back a few dents wont affect their performance.

Hammer and something rigid but not too hard to knock them out, think I used the a steel bar with a plastic cap on the end.

They will get slightly damaged though, the aluminium housings are pretty soft.

They are in since 1985. No, I don't want to beat the crap out of them. But I get the idea though that it won't effect their perfomance, if I'm just gentle enough.
I don't have the heart to do it that way I'm afraid, so I was hoping some genius came up with a tool for that kind of exercise. But obviously that's not the case up until now. Too bad!  :-\

rodriguez

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Tap round the cup, imagining it as a clock, 12, 6, 9, 3, 12, 6, 9, 3 and so on.

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Tap round the cup, imagining it as a clock, 12, 6, 9, 3, 12, 6, 9, 3 and so on.

Thanks for the advice!  fistblump 

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 05:44 PM »
I use a socket set extension bar

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 05:52 PM »

Thanks for your reply Rob!  :daumenhoch:
Does it still require some gentle beating?

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Re: Removing sealed bearing bottom bracket
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 08:33 AM »
Andy. All of us who know Rob would agree with you that he does indeed need a gentle beating....... :2funny:

But yes, I always use the largest flattest item I can pressed against the bearing and then as Neil said, tap around gently like a clock face. You only want the bearing to move less than a millimetre at a time and it will eventually free and slide out.

When gently beating Rob I (and most others would agree i'm sure) use the same pricipal, ie use the largest flattest object. I mostly use Ed209 and hit Rob using him but i'm sure others have better tools for the job........  :shocked:

Do you still require some gentle beating?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:39 AM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 09:39 AM »
Andy. All of us who know Rob would agree with you that he does indeed need a gentle beating....... :2funny:

But yes, I always use the largest flattest item I can pressed against the bearing and then as Neil said, tap around gently like a clock face. You only want the bearing to move less than a millimetre at a time and it will eventually free and slide out.

When gently beating Rob I (and most others would agree i'm sure) use the same pricipal, ie use the largest flattest object. I mostly use Ed209 and hit Rob using him but i'm sure others have better tools for the job........  :shocked:

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 11:51 AM »

;D  :2funny:  Holy crap!  :LolLolLolLol: Obviously I said unambiguously something ambiguous without knowing. Sorry Rob that wasn't intentional!  :angel:
..at least I have an idea now why Rob didn't reply again.  ::)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 11:56 AM »
Andy, it was just the usual British humour mate, I edited the text in your quote :2funny:

As it happens, we always give Rob a cuddle when we see him really mate, don't worry.  I think it was the lack of understanding the Yanks had of our humour that started RadBMX in the first place so you're in good company here :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 12:29 PM »
don't worry Andy, it's all good mate  :daumenhoch:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 12:40 PM »
Andy, it was just the usual British humour mate, I edited the text in your quote :2funny:

As it happens, we always give Rob a cuddle when we see him really mate, don't worry.  I think it was the lack of understanding the Yanks had of our humour that started RadBMX in the first place so you're in good company here :daumenhoch:

I'm always up for good banter!  :daumenhoch:
I've noticed that you took it as a fit occasion (<<< is the right term I think) and turned it into something else. Actually I had troubles seeing my monitor 'cause I was cracking up like fook.  ;D
However, I've sent Rob a message with my apologies just in case my initial question means something that I (or my dictionaries) don't know about. (...I bet now you're cracking up  :) )

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 12:36 PM »
This is what I use, its a steel bar with a nylon insert at the end.  Its hard to tell from the pic, but the insert is angled at the end.

The bar has to go in at an angle due to the other cup being in the way.

The angled end means that when it touches the cup it sits flat against it, therefore spreading the force, reducing deformation of the cup.

Once removed the other cup can be knocked out with a flat ended implement

:daumenhoch:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 02:59 PM »
This is what I use, its a steel bar with a nylon insert at the end.  Its hard to tell from the pic, but the insert is angled at the end.

The bar has to go in at an angle due to the other cup being in the way.

The angled end means that when it touches the cup it sits flat against it, therefore spreading the force, reducing deformation of the cup.

Once removed the other cup can be knocked out with a flat ended implement

:daumenhoch:

Thaaaaaaanks!  :4_17_5: That's brilliant! As far as I get the steel bar between the OPC and the BB...that idea looks good to me!
Thanks mate...will give a report when I'm done!  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Removing sealed bearing botoom bracket

gfxgfx
gfx gfx