gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 11:49 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch Trickstar brake issues
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hutch Trickstar brake issues  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Hutch Trickstar brake issues
« on: April 05, 2017, 07:26 PM »
You'll have to bare with me on this one Can someone please help I'm having real issues with the rear brake on my Trickstar got this complete a couple of years ago and stripped and swapped all parts since doing this I have never bee able to get the rear brake to work properly it originally had some 901 Calipers which were fitted underneath brake bridge they worked fine then I changed calipers for 880s and soon realised they wouldn't reach rims unless wheel was so far forward that freewheel would foul on frame plus the crank was clipping it I had to resort to a POS 900 repop and about a dozen washers to make it fit so I finally got a another 901 but now that clips crank as well which is 175 mm the one I removed originally was 175 so I can't see where I'm going wrong now I'vegone  back to a 880 but as you can see from pics it's just not right .

Sorry this request it so long but it's a real head wrecker

I don't think the photos help much but do think the brake bridge is a bit high

Offline Bobby

• Curb Endo
  • Going up yonder
  • Rated:
Re: Hutch Trickstar brake issues
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 08:21 PM »
Looks like your brake bridge is high , I've a jap one & a U.S frame & both are lower than yours
Real men play vinyl

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:24 PM »
as above,    tbh it looks as though it has been replaced at some point, i think itshould be sat inside the seat stays ?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:27 PM by oldtired »

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 08:39 PM »
Thought it was high it's a jap  one baseball symbol inside drop out possibly a reject could do with some pics if anyone got some of theirs . Still can't get my head round why brakes  were fine with a 901 when I got it now one won't fit like I said a real head wrecker coul do with someone sitting me down and showing where I'm going wrong I'll have to put an add in wanted section old school bmx bike mechanic required Manchester area 😂

rodriguez

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Is your crank spaced correctly or would adding spacers cure the problem?

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 03:04 PM »
I could give it a go it does seem very close to brake im stripping down over weekend just hope I can put it back together again 

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 03:14 PM »
Would an MX1000 the right way up reach the rim? I use an 880 on mine but mine's an '84 U.S. made frame. My brake bridge sits just slightly inside the seat stays.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 03:29 PM »
it quite possibly could but the wheel has to sit further forward then the freewheel hits the frame I might try putting more spacers on the hubs see if that works your brake bridge does look as high as mine but is  fitted different

Offline tfi_friday

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 01:03 PM »
I've a Jap one but looks completely different to that one. I've a much bigger space between the end of the platform and the top of the brake mount.
Your brake mount looks like it has been mounted above the seat stays rather than brtweeen them.

I've Nippons on mine and there's still plenty of room left.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 03:46 PM »
I run an 880 on the back of mine with no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodriguez

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 04:05 PM »
OG DC MX1000 will give you approx 12mm more reach than an 880 so the wheel should sit further back in the drops.

AFAIK the repop MX1000s are similar in reach to an OG MX900.

Still reckon you should look at the crank spacing first, just a matter of removing the crank putting an extra washer on and making sure it's the same on both sides.

Offline poorboyee

• Curb Endo
  • dragos says always wear a helmet
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 06:51 PM »
one of the two things original trickstars were famous for is cracking and snapping, the other is there lovely responsive angles and light weight feel >:D the same tubing was used as with the race frames which flexed to much for freestyle, this in turn put stress on the headtube/b-bracket and rear stays :( the brake bridge may well of cracked off at some point and been re-welded, very few survived the late 80s as they were still being ridden into the mid 90s 8) 8) 8) 8)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:59 PM by poorboyee »

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Still not got round to fixing this problem but it's great to see so many people are willing to share there help keep it coming it's well appreciated

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 07:53 PM »
If you need more room what about a Dia Compe 1020 or 1080  :-\

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 12:35 AM »
If you need more room what about a Dia Compe 1020 or 1080  :-\

A 1080 size clipper is unusual and generally found on PK Rippers but there's a cheap untouched one for sale in my thread if you need one. Would polish up really nice  :angel: :coolsmiley:
Still limping......

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 05:21 PM »
Thanks All

I Finally cracked it put some spacers on crank and a washer on freewheel side of hub so it clears frame when it sits further forward so a dc 901 on underside of brake bridge fits.
Now I have solved that problem I gave myself another one fitting Acs rotor but that's gonna be another day so no doubt I'll be needing your help again😡😡😡

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 08:37 PM »
That's clever  :daumenhoch:

Offline benno

• Team Moderator
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Nice pink tricky mate , I think the brake bridge positioning is a bit random on trickstars to be honest
I used MX 900's on mine they work fine , I've also got a rotor , the link is below of you want to see the pics to give you a few pointers 👍🏼
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,183718.0.html
It comes out of the ground!

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 04:50 PM »
Wow that's a stunning looking Trickstar I would ask you if your brakes work but judging by those Woody Itson Zs they've never been squeezed 🤑

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch Trickstar brake issues

gfxgfx
gfx gfx