gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975496 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 10:47 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Expat living in Canada, searching for my childhood bike.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Expat living in Canada, searching for my childhood bike.  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Mechagouki

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Hey, just joined the site last night. I live in Ontario, Canada now, but I gew up on the south coast of England, in Eastbourne to b precise. Got my first BMX in 1983, a Falcon Pro Theta, and I loved that bike, I owned it for around 5 years, although by that time only the frame, fork and handlebar were orignal. I continued to ride, into the mid school years and after I moved to Canada in the early 2000s.

I currently own a 24" Skyway TA, with Graphite Tuffs, my dream bike from the early 1980s, also in the stable are a 1995 S&M Holmes, a 1998 GT Performer, a WIP Kuwahara KZ-1 and a new school MirraCo.

But none of them are quite scratching the itch caused by my desire to own an 1982/1983 chrome plated Falcon Pro! The difficulty is that the brand was never sold in Canada, or the USA. I've looked for years and when a Theta or Omega has popped up on eBay, I've tried to get the seller's to ship across the Atlantic, but to no avail.

So last week, I'm doing my regular browse of eBay.co.uk when I see this:

It's a 1984 Falcon Pro Comp Flyer, which to the best of my knowledge is the same frame as the 1982 Omega, and the seller is offering international shipping! After some brief contemplation (it's the same price as I paid for my whole brand new Theta in 1983, and the shipping is another 60 pounds, and I'm not wealthy by any means), I hit Buy It Now and pay immediately, so, so happy and excited!

So that was just over a week ago, I emailed the seller after 2 days asking when he will ship and he tells me Easter has delayed things, but not to worrry (so I start to worry), I emailed him again this past Thursday, no response, and again this morning, still no response.

Now I'm not worried about the money, eBay and PayPal have me covered on that front. But it's heartbreaking to have thought this would be mine only to now have to seriously consider that it may not. I even bought a Falcon Pro padset already for another 30 quid!

I really hope the seller is just a bad communicator/slow shipper, but if not I'll be on the hunt again for another Theta or Omega frame, hopefully someone on here will be able to hook me up!

griff

Re: Expat living in Canada, searching for my childhood bike.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 10:02 PM »
Welcome to  :radbmxsmilie:

Good luck in your quest!

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 01:38 AM »
Good luck with the bitd bike.
Easter does mean delays, be it bank holidays or family days out, so do not fret.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 12:03 PM »
#Hope it turns up dude....wouldn't panic too much. Lack of response is a bit of a worry though, although could be loads of reasons.  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 06:00 PM »
 :welcome to  :radbmxsmilie:  :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 09:44 PM »
Welcome to Rad mate .  :daumenhoch:

Hope you get this sorted... let us know how you get on.  ;)
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mechagouki

• Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 02:04 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and reassurance everyone, I've been in contact with the seller, he says he's sick and is having trouble getting the frame packed and shipped. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now. he does have 100% feedback, including positive feedback for an wheelset he sld 2 days before my frame, so fingers crossed.

Offline Mechagouki

• Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 04:21 AM »
Update! Frame is def. on its way, have tracking number and it's moving west! So excited!

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 03:00 PM »
Update! Frame is def. on its way, have tracking number and it's moving west! So excited!

Sweet, happy days!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Mechagouki

• Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 08:52 PM »
Frame is now in my hands, amazing nostalgia seeing the headtube badge I remember so well from childhood. It will be going into a citric acid bath tomorrow after I get the old decals off. New decals from Del on their way.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 09:32 PM »
Nice one... keep us updated. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 08:34 PM »
 :4_17_5:

Glad it worked out, and  :welcome

Just an Fyi, this popped up too:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Falcon-Pro-Theta-Old-School-BMX-1983-Skyway-Tuf-Neck-Dia-Compe-/252955912872?hash=item3ae558eaa8:g:JPgAAOSw8HBZJckD

Eastbourne, gee's that's a blast from the past, my mum still lives there but I moved over to Brighton as soon as freedom allowed.  ;). Years later that's a distant memory too  :'(
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 09:03 PM »
Nice one. Welcome to RAD. I have 2 Falcon Pros - a Kappa and a Beta. If you're on facebook, there's a falcon pro owners group which is cool - always people selling and trading stuff. If you need any help with getting stuff shipped to Canada, please let me know. I'm happy to be the go-between on international sales.
Here's pics of mine. I also have scans of the 83/84 Falcon Pro catalogue if you need them for reference/parts lists

Andy  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mechagouki

• Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 04:42 PM »
Wow those are clean bikes, takes me back to the bike store where I got mine.

Of course the frame arrived safe and sound, and the build is now finished:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Expat living in Canada, searching for my childhood bike.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx