gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 05:09 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tioga head sets.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tioga head sets.  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Tioga head sets.
« on: May 08, 2017, 03:10 PM »
*waves*
Sorry I have been a bit quiet lately but moving house and what-not steals time.
I have been looking for a Tioga Beartrap headset and was hoping that someone can give a timeline. There seem to be a lot of 'repop sets out there that are very cheap (they come in black boxes but stamped). There are also sets that come in white/grey boxes that seem to be much older stock. It looks like a minefield.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

monkian

Re: Tioga head sets.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 03:24 PM »
They're hard to date but the older ones have a different style Tioga stamp on the top-nut. A few of the older ones also came with brass bearing cages. Probably best to check old adverts to get an idea of the dates. Hope that helps.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 05:05 PM »
The older Tioga beartrap headsets come as Paul said, stamped top nut, brass bearing cages and brass lock washer. Unfortunately though, they have been repopped to look identical. The original beartrap II headset is the same as above but has a rubber seal on the underside of the top nut to assist in stopping coming loose. The repopped ones don't have that or the brass bearing cages. There was a guy in the US replicating the headsets by adding the brass lock ring, but it's thicker than the original one, and a different colour.

The original boxes are grey, not black. Only the newer repopped ones come in the black boxes. The grey boxes have been re-done too, but if they look too new, then you know it's exactly that, new.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:08 PM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 07:05 PM »
Great replies and thank you as always.
A minefield indeed and one I may have to side step. Pretty sure I have an og beartrap BB, just wanted to pair it with the headset. I have not seen a brass component yet as part of the set so I guess I am looking at reproductions, fakes or reissues. This is all for yet another project I accidently bought. I will have to prioritise projects from now on!

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 08:25 PM »
For a re-issue Tioga Beartrap 2 this site is about the cheapest with postage for a one off purchase.

https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/tioga-beartrap-ii-headset-mx-1-bmx-threaded-chrome

:daumenhoch:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 12:52 AM »
Thank you all.
What about 'o' ring top nut but no brass components at all?
With all the ambuguity one might as well go repop! Problem is this build is very special, I actually made a score!
Looking to keep the faith with the build and make it great.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tioga head sets.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx