gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975533 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 11:54 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help needed with custom badlander build please chaps :)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Help needed with custom badlander build please chaps :)  (Read 2363 times)

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Hi.
I'm a bit of a newbie and I'm trying to do this mrd badlander justice. It's started of ok and I picked it up from the powdercoaters today.

I then ordered some custom decals from del which I thought looked sweet and I had a load of green parts left from an abandoned earlier build

I then added some yellow ez bars that I had but it's from here on that the project declines :-\ I think I've over done the yellow but I'm not sure what to keep and what to change.

I don't think I've ever seen any blue bars the same shade (ral5015) so maybe change the grips and levers? I thought these wheels were going to look badass but I was wrong there too. I like the tyres but I think the yellow rims look a bit crap. There only cheapos and I thought if they looked good I would get yellow zeds but now I don't know what to do and again I don't think I've seen any rims that same shade of blue. Maybe blue ogks as the tuffs are too dark but I seem to remember some lighter blue tuffs that were reissued a year or so ago.

Let me know your thoughts, I just put the crank there to see how it would look with the rest of the bike , I haven't fixed it up. Any ideas on colours and parts would be great and if anyone has done a similar colour way I'd like to see pics. Cheers Jonathan:)

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Help needed with custom badlander build please chaps :)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 06:18 PM »
i like it the way it is, i would probably put a yellow laidback seatpost on and a green seat.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 06:47 PM »
Looks funky.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 07:08 PM »
Mm it is growing on me a little. I'll try a yellow seatpost and maybe a blue seat and blue grips with blue pedals. I thought maybe blue ogks or peregrine masters but I'll try out the other bits first. Cheers fellas  :)

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 08:18 PM »
Liking this J.
The colours are bouncing off each other.
Deffo do as John suggests.
Yellow chain and cables .
Those spokes on the zeds best be tight.. :LolLolLolLol:
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 09:21 PM »
Thanks ady,
I think I will go for a yellow post and green seat now and I have a few other bits to add. The rims are rattle canned and built up by me so pretty much buggered and not fit for riding but I might look for some yellow Zds and then send them of to Allan's. The spokes are powdered and come in any length so that's what I might do  :)

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 09:22 PM »
If you ask me there is too much going on.....
Imo you need to lose the yellow bits. I like the blue with the green but the rest of the bits need to be more neutral. even if the bars and wheels were swapped out for chrome, with black tyres it would look better...or have the bars powdered the same colour?
Maybe some white bits would look good with the green and blue? like grips, seat and tyres?
I doubt you will find any mags which are close to that blue...the new baby blue tuffs look all wrong and nothing like the 80s ones, which would look funny anyway!
There was an on line program where you could roughly work out the colour scheme on a bike, it was based on a new school bike but it gave you an idea of what would work.....or, draw a rough pic of the bike in black and white, then have it photocopied a few times and colour in bits in various combos to get an idea of what looks good...  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 09:34 PM »
link to try out different colours
http://bmxunion.com/bmx-color-app/

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 10:22 PM »
That's defo a cool project Jonathan!  :daumenhoch:
I like the blue of that frame a lot. But I think the green bits are too different in shade to each other.
For the bars I'm with deeman - either chrome or the same blue shade you picked for the frame. With blue bars I would go for silver levers and green or yellow grips.
Chrome bars ...then I'd maybe keep the green levers as they seem to match the calipers.
A silver chainring with a green, a yellow or a blue powedisc to pick up on the colours the decals are offering.

I haven't seen any yellow Z's yet, that are as bright and powerfull in shade as your rattle canned rims tbh. Chrome rims or green mags would look cool too I think. ...and black tyres

Howerver, all that is just unique to my taste. It's your bike and your rules.
I'll follow this build and I'm looking forward to see it growing. But, take your time mate!  :daumenhoch:

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 10:33 PM »
Thanks for all the comments it's much appreciated. I'll post up more pics so you can see what it looks like only trouble is I have to find a green seat and it looks like they are all in Australia  :-\
I think when I added the wheels that's when I became unsure and thought the yellow rims were too much but I wanted some yellow on this to tie in with the decals. It looks pretty good with the yellow seatpost but I'll keep thinking and looking at other options. Cheers for looking  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 11:27 PM »
I wouldn't put a yellow chain on it

But then I wouldn't put a yellow chain on anything  :teef:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 02:06 AM »
I wouldn't put a yellow chain on it

But then I wouldn't put a yellow chain on anything  :teef:

This too....... :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 02:07 PM »
Wow how on earth did you do that? I tried the link that john4130 posted up but I couldn't use it with my iPad. Looks very cool though.
 :)

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 02:16 PM »
Here it is with the yellow seatpost. I am liking the yellow a but more now. I just have some green pegs and then I'll need a green seat, cables, bottom bracket and I might look out for a blue haro flo panel maybe and I need air in the tyres.

I'll post up a pic when I locate a green seat and then see how it looks.

Offline Lamby

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 05:09 PM »
I'd stick with the yellow bars and post and would prob go with yellow mags with black/tan tyres. Chrome crank, chain, stem, clamp and brake components 😎 i.e. bin the green but then again it's not a colour I like in any way shape or form 😄

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 09:59 PM »
Big fan of  how it looks chum, makes the frame design stand out IMHO. I'd have a pop at green seat & yellow cables if I were building it, perhaps a green & chrome izumi ( if I've just not made that up )....
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 10:35 PM »
Glad it found a good home . Build it as you please .

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 06:44 AM »
Here it is with the yellow seatpost. I am liking the yellow a but more now. I just have some green pegs and then I'll need a green seat, cables, bottom bracket and I might look out for a blue haro flo panel maybe and I need air.........

Smashed it bud :coolsmiley:

That looks fookin great and a drop more green would be perfect. As the Animal just said, build it how you want but that looks amazing  :daumenhoch:

Oh, and it definitely needs air. Both in the tyres and off a ramp but drop that stem first  :2funny:
Still limping......

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2017, 06:57 AM »
Im there with Deeman and Wally Tonk Honk....got to balance it out as WTH image - although I'd go white bars.
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2017, 07:44 AM »
Looking ace Jonathan!

Def stay clear of coloured chains as Griff said, one way to really cheapen any bike imo. Black, silver or combo for me.

Nice work

Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 09:49 PM »
IMO

All green parts ( green seat ) except yellow bars and yellow seat post

alloy or chrome rims on green hubs ( matches the chain wheel - one of my fav 'matches' )

silver chain

drop the stem to its lowest level

sorted  :daumenhoch:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help needed with custom badlander build please chaps :)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx