gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 03:21 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Motorbike grips on a bmx
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Motorbike grips on a bmx  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Motorbike grips on a bmx
« on: May 14, 2017, 11:54 AM »
Hey,

Apologies no images (photo bucket seems to be down) ....

OK so last year i bought a nos boxed set of ODI Mushroom Grips in Blue from the USA ..

Turns out which was'nt declared in the advert that they were the motorbike fitment ,one grip being the usual 7/8" but the other is a 1" fitment & is too big...

Has anyone managed a successful way of mounting 1" grips to their handlebars keeping the grip solid under riding conditions & if so how did you do it ?

I was thinking of running a thick tape such as (insulation tape) around the bars in order to widen their diamiter ? but will the grips (grip) ?

Any useful suggestions of how this can be done (if indeed its possible) would be appreciated... Unless you have a nos set yourself to sell me

Thanks loads  :daumenhoch:  :Great_Britain:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: Motorbike grips on a bmx
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 12:14 PM »
Did this myself on my vitus

Really wanted hex grips and couldnt find what i was after so bit the bullet and got some motorcycle ones. Just carefully built up one side of the bars with bands of black insulation tape (counting the wraps to make sure it was even)  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Alpinesurfer

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 12:15 PM »
Depending on how much trouble you wanted to go to?
You could cut a couple of bits of tubing to the wanted size place over the bar ends and weld in place.

Hey presto think solid bar ends able to take a larger grip...

I have never done it just a thought

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 12:47 PM »
Did this myself on my vitus

Really wanted hex grips and couldnt find what i was after so bit the bullet and got some motorcycle ones. Just carefully built up one side of the bars with bands of black insulation tape (counting the wraps to make sure it was even)  :daumenhoch:

Did it hold ok Clint ?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 01:20 PM »
Stuck like shit to a blanket  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 01:36 PM »
Stuck like shit to a blanket  :daumenhoch:

:2funny: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline tfi_friday

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 04:35 PM »
Hey,

Apologies no images (photo bucket seems to be down) ....

OK so last year i bought a nos boxed set of ODI Mushroom Grips in Blue from the USA ..

Turns out which was'nt declared in the advert that they were the motorbike fitment ,one grip being the usual 7/8" but the other is a 1" fitment & is too big...

Has anyone managed a successful way of mounting 1" grips to their handlebars keeping the grip solid under riding conditions & if so how did you do it ?

I was thinking of running a thick tape such as (insulation tape) around the bars in order to widen their diamiter ? but will the grips (grip) ?

Any useful suggestions of how this can be done (if indeed its possible) would be appreciated... Unless you have a nos set yourself to sell me

Thanks loads  :daumenhoch:  :Great_Britain:

I got stung with exactly the same problem when I bought a set of nos Oakley b2 grips off here.

Original seller didn't help out in anyway with the grips which I eventually sold for a lot less than when I paid for them, but sold them as motocross grips honestly.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 08:04 PM by tfi_friday »

Offline Bigbadsam

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • THEY CALL ME THE BEAR !
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 03:45 PM »
I got done early doors into the scene with some.
Kept them in the box till I put them on a mountain bike using the duct tape method.
Worked ok for me.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

RADPORT 4TH August
Southport - Leo's Bar Midday onwards

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Motorbike grips on a bmx

gfxgfx
gfx gfx