gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 09:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Time Capsule
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Time Capsule  (Read 5687 times)

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Time Capsule
« on: May 19, 2017, 09:54 PM »
Took a long overdue trip to Germany last week to visit the time capsule that is Rainer's bike shop. We'd arranged to meet up with Dieter,Rainer's dad and owner/curator of the museum and thus spent an afternoon knee deep in 1980's BMX heaven. Our hosts couldn't have been more welcoming. It was great to crack open a few beers and chat about this sport that's been in our blood for the last 30 plus years with like-minded people. The collection is amazing. Original race & freestyle bikes,NOS and original parts and memorabilia fill the shop. So glad we made it happen. Here's some photos...

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Time Capsule
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:00 PM »

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 10:04 PM »

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:07 PM »

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 10:14 PM »
Dieter,'Wing-Man' Redline John & Rainer

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:19 PM by hotdog »

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 10:18 PM »
And seeing as we were in Stuttgart,it would've been rude not to check out this place..

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:22 PM »
Fantastic, i'd love to go  :coolsmiley:
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

griff

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:20 PM »
Fantastic, thanks for posting!

:4_17_5:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 11:28 PM »
Excellent stuff! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 09:45 AM »
Awesome trip to an awesome place!

Love the Max t shirt btw, wouldn't mind a couple of those myself!

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 10:02 AM »
Yeah, that looks like fun!

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 10:43 AM »
Awesome... would love to have a dig around in there.  :)
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 11:52 AM »
Wow! what an awesome place!  :4_17_5: so is it actually a museum? someones personal collection? or is it a shop that sells stuff? If its a museum and there for life that would be cool but if its a shop that doesn't sell? does anyone think what a waste of parts that will never be used?  ::) interested to know the story guys?  :daumenhoch:

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 12:47 PM »
OK,so it's a museum but Dieter does also sell old school parts through his website. Just email him if there's anything you're after to finsih that grail build. He may be able to help you out.
All the completes in the museum are made up from Rainer's bikes that he used to race in the '80s plus some have been donated by his old bmx buddies plus there are NOS completes that have been built using old stock too. Dieter is the passionate collector. Rainer is into american autos now but does still cherish his memories of racing bitd and totally understands where us old school fanatics are coming from. As far as it being a waste of parts by not selling them... well I guess you could say that about anyone that has held on to anything they've ever bought. A 'Collector' does exactly that,collects. A dealer buys and sells,usually for profit. At the end of the day the museum is a fantastic place if you're into this hobby/sport and we had a blast during our visit.

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 01:23 PM »
A great thread and amazing pictures ... I always wanted to go there... Very jealous mate   explosion fistblump
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 05:48 PM »
Two Patterson 24's and a CW 24 Phase One!

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 05:51 PM »

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 05:54 PM »

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 06:41 PM »
So cool ... Epic  :4_17_5:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 08:00 PM »
Wow! what an awesome place!  :4_17_5: so is it actually a museum? someones personal collection? or is it a shop that sells stuff? If its a museum and there for life that would be cool but if its a shop that doesn't sell? does anyone think what a waste of parts that will never be used?  ::) interested to know the story guys?  :daumenhoch:

From experience I can tell that Dieter is very supportive in regrads of giving advice, and if you talk to him you'll notice right away he still has the love for BMX.
What I also can tell from experience, as I've bought a couple of items of him, his website isn't updated on a constant basis.
The other thing is, if you're after rare parts you better go there and have look youself as he sometimes either doesn't tell you what's available or just don't know by heart. However, for sure he's a top man.

His shop/museum is about 250km away from where I live. I was planning on going there last month, but couldn't make it. But what I can offer to you radsters is to have a look for you if you tell me what exactly you are looking for (with a picture please  :) ). You can't expect to get real bargains there, as Dieter knows exactly the value of an item.
Don't worry about me trying to benefit from that offer either, I would never do that.  :daumenhoch:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 09:32 PM »

From experience I can tell that Dieter is very supportive in regrads of giving advice, and if you talk to him you'll notice right away he still has the love for BMX.
What I also can tell from experience, as I've bought a couple of items of him, his website isn't updated on a constant basis.
The other thing is, if you're after rare parts you better go there and have look youself as he sometimes either doesn't tell you what's available or just don't know by heart. However, for sure he's a top man.

His shop/museum is about 250km away from where I live. I was planning on going there last month, but couldn't make it. But what I can offer to you radsters is to have a look for you if you tell me what exactly you are looking for (with a picture please  :) ). You can't expect to get real bargains there, as Dieter knows exactly the value of an item.
Don't worry about me trying to benefit from that offer either, I would never do that.  :daumenhoch:

Andy that's such a kind offer. Not been on here as much lately but you seem a top Radster  :4_17_5:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 09:56 PM »

Andy that's such a kind offer. Not been on here as much lately but you seem a top Radster  :4_17_5:

fistblump thanks for your kind words Ant! I just learned from you guys - ...and still do  :daumenhoch:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 11:26 PM »
What a great thread, with fantastic photos. Thanks for posting them up! Me and Ant were thinking of having a trip there at some point  :)

griff

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 11:28 PM »

He's a good lad, even if he does have child-sized feet  :teef:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 12:13 AM »

He's a good lad, even if he does have child-sized feet  :teef:

:-*

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Time Capsule

gfxgfx
gfx gfx