gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 18, 2024, 08:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Hi all and need some help...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hi all and need some help...  (Read 5019 times)

Offline Rich P

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Hi all and need some help...
« on: June 11, 2017, 07:18 PM »
Hi everyone.
I have a dilemma.
I have a Townsend freestyle frame and a frame that is badged as an Ammaco Freestyler,  they look similar at first glance,  but are quite different at a closer look.
The geometry is different,  kick tails differ, welding different, different bends in the downtubes,  and the "Ammaco"  is noticeably lighter.
Can they be different frames or different generations?
I've searched everywhere and can't find a definitive answer.
The photos are of the frames compared, with the Ammaco in front.
Hopefully someone can shed some light :) I'm gonna try and get photos on shortly.
Best wishes, Rich

Offline Rich P

• Rated:
Re: Hi all and need some help...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 07:50 PM »
Hopefully some insight in these photos

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 11:31 AM »
There have been loads of threads about these frames ! Usually people who think they have bought an 'old school' frame on ebay and need an ID!
I am surprised to hear of the differences between the two you have as I thought they were all the same. Also stickered up as Ruption, and Falcon Pro freestyler and I think a couple of other names. They made these frames for years and years way into the 90's and possibly even more recent than that. The fact that one seems a lot lighter MIGHT suggest it was cromoly but I would be VERY surprised as I thought they were all steel. there might be slight differences/ revisions over the years but I would I would imagine they all came from the same factory in Taiwan!
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline poorboyee

• Curb Endo
  • dragos says always wear a helmet
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 01:15 PM »
as deeman said there "BIC/RAZOR" frames churned out through the 90s, usually cheap steel or HI-TEN if your lucky but not worth much :'( AMMACO used to make good bikes/frames back in the 80s, but went cheap and nasty in 90s when mongoose sold them on :( :( :( :(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:21 PM by poorboyee »

Offline Rich P

• Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 08:56 PM »
Thank you for the input, it's helpful.
I'd never seen these before a few months ago...I had a mongoose /Ammaco racer and 2 freestylers (dp firebird and areo reflex) back in the day.
I did buy them both for parts,  so if I need to invest in a different frame then it's no real loss ( got 2 pairs of skyways, etc out of it :)... But, the 9 year old will get a chance to make a custom build out of the bits I don't need :), he's very happy 😊

Offline poorboyee

• Curb Endo
  • dragos says always wear a helmet
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 01:00 PM »
Thank you for the input, it's helpful.
I'd never seen these before a few months ago...I had a mongoose /Ammaco racer and 2 freestylers (dp firebird and areo reflex) back in the day.
I did buy them both for parts,  so if I need to invest in a different frame then it's no real loss ( got 2 pairs of skyways, etc out of it :)... But, the 9 year old will get a chance to make a custom build out of the bits I don't need :), he's very happy 😊
AMMACO are still going now but only with cheap budget mountainbikes and similar bmxs, their glory days with MR.RUFFEL and the LLEWELLYN FAMILY are long gone :( but its good to hear that you got some skyways+parts out of the deal, and your kid gets a cheap and cheerful "FIRST BUILD" bike/parts :coolsmiley:
the ammaco frame looks in very rough shape with the seat tube, also the big dent on the platform looks nasty :-\ I would ask/look around on this site and see whats for sale, or back on EBAY but check with the people on here :radbmxsmilie: next time!! they will tell you if its worth buying or not, I just ride/mend/upkeep my bike and don't do the "BUILDING THING" but do have some knowledge ;) ;) ;) ;) 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 01:13 PM by poorboyee »

Offline Rich P

• Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 11:04 PM »
Will do Curb Endo.
Only just got into this rebuild thing, and can't believe how much stuff changed since kids.
I'll put the frames to use, and will use the great bits for the 94 GT Fueler I've just bought ( serial number is sorted, I've checked out the thread :))
Looking forward to getting covered in grease again like I did for 15 years :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Hi all and need some help...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx