gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 16, 2024, 09:58 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Getting them started young......
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Getting them started young......  (Read 5698 times)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Getting them started young......
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:46 PM »
So about 18 months ago I picked up a couple of badly advertised alloy-framed Redline micro race minis for my kids on eBay early one Sunday morning. They were in  a well used state but basically in need of a strip down and rebuild with new tyres and cables. I swapped the red parts onto the white frame and the black parts onto the silver frame. Then I grabbed some skinwall o/s tyres at MK off JTsmooth to give the bikes a better look from the sombre new school all black tyres and after a bit of a scrub, here's how they ended up.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

My 8yr old daughter has had her red & white one for about a year now and loves it - it is so much lighter and faster than all her friends with heavy steel-framed 20" mountain bikes and multiple gears they won't use....  Tonight I finally got my 6yr old son's finished in silver and black so there will be a very excited lad wanting to go to the Bolehills race track tomorrow  :smitten:

Hope you like them :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:45 AM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

griff

Re: Getting them started young......
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:52 PM »
Great stuff Spen, always good to hear about kids doing something other than just gawping at iPads  fistblump

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 06:27 AM »
I like 'em! Great job Spen! Just make sure they have all the safety gear on, eh! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 10:37 PM »
Smart as fook them Spen, proper bikes for yer kids  :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 03:36 AM »
It's been a long time since I updated this thread, but as time has passed my daughter didn't really take to BMX and the red & white one got sold, replaced by a 24" Hoy Bonalay and now a 26" Islabike Bienn large.

However they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and my son is now 10 and has recently re-found his BMX soul and is enjoying tracks and a few trails with me. I started looking for a bigger bike but realised that his Redline had an 18.75" top tube so it was already an expert sized bike and just need a few new parts rather than a whole new bike.

A bit of research later and one of the usual suspect riders came up with some 23"x6.5" bars and I did a bit of a tyre change a and stripped off the pointless front caliper brake.......

From this  :-\

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 04:05 AM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 03:59 AM »
.... to this  :smitten:

He can't wait to try it out at Bolehills next weekend  :coolsmiley:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 04:02 AM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 09:57 PM »
Great to hear your son's back in the saddle! Bike's looking much better now too! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 08:46 AM »
Good work!!  explosion

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Getting them started young......

gfxgfx
gfx gfx