gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 09:58 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Pump tracks good for improving core strength?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pump tracks good for improving core strength?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline 80s Mike

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Pump tracks good for improving core strength?
« on: July 14, 2017, 01:27 PM »
Would I be right in thinking that riding a BMX on a pump/race track will give me a good core strength workout. Have been suffering from a troublesome lower back for a few years now and have been advised to improve my core strength. Riding a pump track seems to be a good way to improve my core strength and have a bit of fun at the same time. I’m not intending to be jumping or doing anything stupid that’s likely to jar my back.

Any views/advice appreciated.  :daumenhoch:

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Pump tracks good for improving core strength?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 01:34 PM »
I got told the same thing with my dodgy back  :LolLolLolLol: I think you would benefit from that type of riding, I don't try to do much in the way of manuals & whatnot though my back doesn't like it!
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 02:55 PM »
Gotta be worth a try.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 03:03 PM »
It shoul improve everything :daumenhoch:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 03:04 PM »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 03:10 PM »
For what it's worth, I go through phases of lower back pain but since I've started hitting the track again this year, generally on most weekends since April, I've had no back issues. With the obvious disclaimer that I'm no medical expert, I'd say give it a whirl, taking it easy to begin with to see how your back feels a day or 2 after each session. :daumenhoch:

Forgot to ask, how much riding do you do anyway, as I wouldn't recommend going anywhere near a pump track if you haven't ridden a bmx for a few years.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 03:27 PM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

griff

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 03:27 PM »
no back issues, but your shoulder is fooked  >:D

Offline 80s Mike

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 04:11 PM »
I wouldn't do that first before strengthening your core. You could damage it further.

I tore a lower disc in my back a few years back, physio basically said it was because I was sitting on my arse all day turning into pate, didn't have any muscle surrounding my spine to support it properly. Since then I joined a gym and went on a machine specifically for the lower back, as well as all the other equipment, ad my core strength has improved massively. I also started running and go out three times a week for 5 or 10k runs.

Best thing to do to improve core strength, without risking a jarring motion that will damage your spine is probably planks, start off doing three sets of 30 second planks every morning. Soon get you a stronger core.
I should be alright, still playing football once a week and riding my mountain bike. Just keep getting this recurring niggle due to lack of proper core strength exercise, which causes long bike rides etc to aggravate my back!  :-[

Offline 80s Mike

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 04:13 PM »
For what it's worth, I go through phases of lower back pain but since I've started hitting the track again this year, generally on most weekends since April, I've had no back issues. With the obvious disclaimer that I'm no medical expert, I'd say give it a whirl, taking it easy to begin with to see how your back feels a day or 2 after each session. :daumenhoch:

Forgot to ask, how much riding do you do anyway, as I wouldn't recommend going anywhere near a pump track if you haven't ridden a bmx for a few years.
No pump track riding, but plenty of mountain biking. Hopefully that should see me alright!

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 12:48 AM »
If you're a mtb rather than bmx rider then how about sticking with the mtb, and taking that on the pump track instead! Then you don't have to worry about getting used to a new and much smaller bike. There's an mtb class at my local track, so I've seen them in action! :daumenhoch:

Fair point! ::)
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline poorboyee

• Curb Endo
  • dragos says always wear a helmet
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 01:58 AM »
ive sciatic nerve damage and shoulder/neck problems as well and arthritis in both wrists:crybaby:, so I switched to just flatland (mid90s) and waa-lar the back problems have halved ;) you have to keep moving and active just don't over reach, and things do get easier or less binding and things kind of fall into place 8) 8) 8) 8) 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 02:09 AM by poorboyee »

Offline Christhejob

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 08:14 AM »
Anything except BMX will help your core strength.
Swim, mtb, road bike, Pilates, do some gym stuff.
Then when your core strength is up ease in some BMX!
I used to be at the osteo almost continuously, then after a year of manual labour renovating a house, giving in and buying a mtb and riding it mostly, I've had a decent back for ten years.  Strangely flares up when I ride the little bike.. Surely only a coincidence??!

Offline 80s Mike

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 08:52 AM »
ive sciatic nerve damage and shoulder/neck problems as well and arthritis in both wrists:crybaby:, so I switched to just flatland (mid90s) and waa-lar the back problems have halved ;) you have to keep moving and active just don't over reach, and things do get easier or less binding and things kind of fall into place 8) 8) 8) 8) 
I'd love to have a crack at flatland, unfortunately I was terrible at it in the 80s and I can't see I'll be any better 30 years on.  :LolLolLolLol:
Nice video BTW!  :daumenhoch:

Offline 80s Mike

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 09:01 AM »
Anything except BMX will help your core strength.
Swim, mtb, road bike, Pilates, do some gym stuff.
Then when your core strength is up ease in some BMX!
I used to be at the osteo almost continuously, then after a year of manual labour renovating a house, giving in and buying a mtb and riding it mostly, I've had a decent back for ten years.  Strangely flares up when I ride the little bike.. Surely only a coincidence??!
I actually think it was overdoing it whilst going through a road biking phase a few years ago that hurt my back in the first place. There's a lot of sitting in one position for a long time and if your core isn't strong your back takes all the strain. A lot of my MTB riding in the flatlands of Suffolk also involves a fair bit of seated riding. I was thinking the out of the saddle nature of riding a pump track would strengthen the muscles that are not getting a workout at the moment. You're right about the swimming and gym, which would definitely help, but they're not as fun as riding. Perhaps I'm just looking for an excuse to get a new school bike and start riding again!  ;) :LolLolLolLol:

Offline 80s Mike

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 09:03 AM »
If you're a mtb rather than bmx rider then how about sticking with the mtb, and taking that on the pump track instead! Then you don't have to worry about getting used to a new and much smaller bike. There's an mtb class at my local track, so I've seen them in action! :daumenhoch:

Fair point! ::)
I may take my MTB and see how I get on. An XC 29er just seems a bit ungainly though!

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 02:49 PM »
Pump tracks are great fun...shouldn't do you any more harm than shagging your missus!
Treat with respect though, It's easy to get over confident/ complacent as you build up a bit of speed as I found out last week when I took a whopper on my skateboard on one.... Great fun though!!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Pump tracks are great fun...shouldn't do you any more harm than shagging your missus!
Treat with respect though, It's easy to get over confident/ complacent as you build up a bit of speed as I found out last week when I took a whopper on my skateboard on one.... Great fun though!!  :daumenhoch:

Yeah, get the technique and skills up and your speed can be very terrifying.
Did the same thing when they made one down here. Hit it up and had a good off.
Front wheel washed out due to excess speed. Had to explain to the supervisors it wasn't a track issue, was a rider issue.

For Core training and strengthening. Probably not the best.
For a full body work out that will wear you out. For sure.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Pump tracks good for improving core strength?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx