gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 04:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Bmx bike rack for car recommendation please ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bmx bike rack for car recommendation please ?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline adammannering

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Bmx bike rack for car recommendation please ?
« on: July 27, 2017, 09:30 AM »
Morning all

Car bike rack recommendation please I have 20" inch bmx

And two mini bmx - but I guess the minis will go in the boot so just my bike maybe ?

Any advice appreciated cheers

Adam
Wanted any condition pk ripper repop for my daily rider !

Offline nickd164

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Bmx bike rack for car recommendation please ?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:05 AM »
Hi Adam

I have a Lexus LS saloon and I use the Saris Bones 3 bike rack.  Recently fitted and I had on two 29ers and a cruiser.   Bit tight with 3 on,but i drove from Sheffield to Lands End with no problems.  Using a mix of a few bungy straps, cable ties and bubble wrap there was no damage to car or bikes!

In2bmx

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 01:13 PM »
I Have the Saris Bones .. Takes 3 BMX or 2 MTB bike easy.

Not the cheapest on the market .. But probably the best.

Offline CurtisEXP

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 04:41 PM »
+1 on the Saris Bones
Bought one from Halfords to take kids Isla bikes down to Spain on holiday.
Missed ferry to Santander (long story), so ended driving from Caen (northern France) to Montpellier and then on down Barcelona, Valencia and eventually to Cartagena. 1,200 miles in two days. No issues at all.
If you get it from Halfords in store - make sure they price match the website, as it was about 10 quid more expensive than online.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 09:18 PM »
Yep know that drive well to Montpellier and then down to Catalina -  done it the last few summer's.

Depends what car you drive but I modified a cheap £20 Aldi one to fit my 3 series tourer. I drilled new holes in it to change the angles, bought some high density pipe lagging and then double secured it to the car by attaching it around the boot hinges as well as the normal straps and refer it on the lip of the boot.

I'll load a picture up if I can reduce the file size but I also did the 1,200 mile trip at about a ton all the way down the A75 without a hiccup. I actually forgot for about 100 miles I had three bikes on the back......  :idiot2:

Still limping......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Bmx bike rack for car recommendation please ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx