gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 06:10 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Dying Repop A'me Grips - Anyone Done It?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dying Repop A'me Grips - Anyone Done It?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Dying Repop A'me Grips - Anyone Done It?
« on: August 09, 2017, 05:23 PM »
Has anyone ever attempted to do this?

I'm going to be looking for some lavender grips in the not too distant, but if none are available, I'll have to improvise.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
Re: Dying Repop A'me Grips - Anyone Done It?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 05:24 PM »
Ask Clint, he found some good stuff dude.....

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 05:38 PM »
Ask Clint, he found some good stuff dude.....

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Cheers Rich, he'll see this thread no doubt he'll comment.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 07:20 PM »
Yep I will and I will  :LolLolLolLol:

Can probably dye them Dan but colours are limited. They can be mixed but if you have a very specific colour in mind it may be a struggle. Got a ral colour for what you want?
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 07:25 PM »
Yep I will and I will  :LolLolLolLol:

Can probably dye them Dan but colours are limited. They can be mixed but if you have a very specific colour in mind it may be a struggle. Got a ral colour for what you want?

I was going to get some Dylon (purple) and some white grips.

Offline tfi_friday

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:49 PM »
Pretty sure any time I've seen someone attempt to dye Ames, it's been unsuccessful.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:26 PM »
Turns out the pink to purple spectrum is well represented with my dyes. You might be in luck Dan  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 09:01 PM »
Turns out the pink to purple spectrum is well represented with my dyes. You might be in luck Dan  :daumenhoch:

Cheers mate, I knew there would be someone on here that would know one way or another.  :daumenhoch:

Offline mivvi

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Sorry to jump on your thread but may as well keep related topics in one place. I have a set of red OGKs 77-17a that I want to dye black. I have tried the Dylon method and it just turns them brown how ever long I boil them for. I also suspect that what little colour has taken is just resting on the surface of the rubber. I have done a little research and there does seem to be products out there that are designed specifically for colouring rubber but again they state that not all rubber will work. So what im asking (before I try something that is untested by myself) is there anyone out there who has a wealth of testing in this area who would be willing to share their knowledge? Any help is much appreciated and hope this post is ok Retrodan72  :daumenhoch:     

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 10:09 AM »
Sorry to jump on your thread but may as well keep related topics in one place. I have a set of red OGKs 77-17a that I want to dye black. I have tried the Dylon method and it just turns them brown how ever long I boil them for. I also suspect that what little colour has taken is just resting on the surface of the rubber. I have done a little research and there does seem to be products out there that are designed specifically for colouring rubber but again they state that not all rubber will work. So what im asking (before I try something that is untested by myself) is there anyone out there who has a wealth of testing in this area who would be willing to share their knowledge? Any help is much appreciated and hope this post is ok Retrodan72  :daumenhoch:   

It's all relative matey.

I'm sure Joff has done a few sets before, he'll be along with his input shortly I'm sure.

Offline mivvi

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Cheers buddy, Thought I would try and get some more info before I ruin any more of the wife's pots  :2funny: Love this site and the people on it!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Cheers buddy, Thought I would try and get some more info before I ruin any more of the wife's pots  :2funny: Love this site and the people on it!  :daumenhoch:

I've been back into BMX for 10 years next year, and still asking advice from the lads on here, it's the only place to come for proper tips and tricks.

Offline mivvi

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 10:29 AM »
You're not wrong, always helpful members on here. I have been a member for way to long on here (My post rating got zeroed when the site crashed some years back) but had a good 7 years away but now right back into it. Love restoring parts but we all need a little help along the way, have changed jobs recently and have a full engineering workshop where I work now, this should come in handy  :LolLolLolLol: Talking of which, I better get off and get some work done. Cheers buddy  :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Dying Repop A'me Grips - Anyone Done It?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx