gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 18, 2024, 11:04 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  BIRDTRAP GPV....the build thread
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BIRDTRAP GPV....the build thread  (Read 3313 times)

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
BIRDTRAP GPV....the build thread
« on: September 13, 2017, 10:20 AM »
About time I posted the complete build thread on how "Birdtrap" came about. So over the next few days I'll be posting all the info on how it started, the design, GPV history, the build process, special shout outs etc etc.
It was one of the most talked about bikes at MK so for those that missed it,middle get chance to talk to me about it or literally have no idea what I'm on about all will be revieled on here  :coolsmiley:

So for now a couple of started pics.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: BIRDTRAP GPV....the build thread
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 11:28 AM »
Awesome little machine.  :)
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

griff

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 02:23 PM »
We need to find a big hill and do some time trials on it  :D

In2bmx

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 02:57 PM »
That's almost a BMX  :D   

And it's very lovely and special  :4_17_5:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 05:12 PM »
...but IS it a BMX?  :LolLolLolLol:
Bloody amazing Ash. The thought that went into it and attention to detail is amazing. Certainly not the sort of thing you can just cobble together using bits from the parts bin. A very worthy winner of it's awards at MK  :4_17_5:

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 05:41 PM »
100% BMX from a pretty damn cool BMX race series  folks 8)

griff

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 05:47 PM »
Bit of GPV Action courtesy of the OM

Mad fookers  :D

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 06:33 PM »
We need to find a big hill and do some time trials on it  :D

It WILL happen mate  ::)

Offline dp and chopper dude

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 08:52 PM »
Bit of GPV Action courtesy of the OM

Mad fookers  :D

That video was ACE Griff. It would be good to see this come back.

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 08:59 PM »
I never built it with the intention of others following and forming a bit of a race series or even a one off but the response to the build has been epic, I think with quite literally a push in the right direction a race of sorts could well happen.

griff

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 09:45 PM »
I never built it with the intention of others following and forming a bit of a race series or even a one off but the response to the build has been epic, I think with quite literally a push in the right direction a race of sorts could well happen.

I'll join in with my new mid school bike
No need for fairings or owt - it's a bit of a tank so will just load up on pies & let gravity do its thing  fistblump

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 10:51 PM »
Seen guys doing this type of racing somewhere just off the 62 Huddersfield area :daumenhoch:

Could see them from the motorway was scammonden I think.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 06:10 PM »
Spens been racing down hill  for years  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 08:58 PM »
Can't be him he's not that tall  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 11:43 PM »
Wouldn't a gravity bike run skinnier rims and tyres

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 01:13 PM »
Not in the early days no. As the scene progressed the bikes progressed too, the bikes changed and improved quickly with upgraded in bearings, brakes, tyres, fairings. But the early bikes were quite literally built from what parts were in the shed.

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 01:25 PM »
So why a GPV ?. It was anothing itch I've had for a good 4 years to build one. If like me you've pretty much built every bike you wanted to from your brand then what's left ?. Well you research and dig deep in your memory to see what's left in there and Scot Breithaupt was a huge influence in bringing GPV to the masses and mainstream TV.  So a Gravity bike was the choice.

But how do I build it and what should it look like ?. For a start I had no idea so I enlisted the design genius of Grab On Kid Mike.
Quite literally hundreds of conversations later we had an initial design.

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 02:17 PM »
Not in the early days no. As the scene progressed the bikes progressed too, the bikes changed and improved quickly with upgraded in bearings, brakes, tyres, fairings. But the early bikes were quite literally built from what parts were in the shed.

I wasn't knocking your build as it looks fantastic, very good point on the early days.

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 03:09 PM »
I didn't take it that way mate at all. I'll keep updating this thread with info on the build and the bikes bit by bit as it's still a part of BMX that so many know very little about  8)

Offline GRAB ON KID

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 05:52 AM »
 Thanks Ash,been trying to keep the whole "genius" thing under wraps for a while now but now the cat's truly outta the bag i guess i'll have to run w/it!  :LolLolLolLol:

Just to add the 100's of conversations spanned over the 4 years since Ash had the idea to build a GPV… i thought it was a way cool idea as remembered seeing the article in BMXA back in the summer of  80' & along w/my BMX buds at the time thought they were trick as fook & how cool it would be to build & race them.We just referred to them as downhill racers back then.We dreamed up some imaginary builds & talked about them all summer but were quite content in the end w/bombing & racing down the long steep hills of NJ on the bikes we had …..so needless to say we never actually got around to building any. ::)

Anyways fast forward 33 years & after Ash ordered some custom plates from me,he mentioned he wanted to build a GPV.After realising a GPV was a downhill racer & showing me a pic of the Suzuki fairing he bought it was like bang!  explosion

it sparked off all of those cool memories again.So i knew i wanted in right from the offset!…….But due to other builds or projects the both of us were doing & only keeping in touch now & again throughout the years, it kept being put on the back burner.i'd always ask about it & we'd always talk about it as in parts to use,modifications,colour ways,etc… but life can sometimes get in the way.

Until around April when the ball really started rolling on this big time! We started chatting on FB & as usual i brought the GPV up. We spent a month or so talking about parts & fabrication ideas & Ash was gradually buying  the rest of the parts needed here & there & had already decided on using a loopy Quad as the base of the build which i agreed was spot on.

I knew if i gave Ash a CGI render of what it would or could look like & with MK17 only just over 3 months away,it would give us both the incentive & a guide to try & get it done in time.So I asked Ash to send me pics of the Quad built up w/parts he was going to use or had & pics of the fairing taken from the same angle & distance so i could do the mock up.
Then i could re-design the shape of the fairing & see where it needed to be cut down to suit the Quad as it was too big w/it being a full vintage motorcycle fairing.Then once that was sorted i could start to design the graphics & colour ways  & we could play around w/some of the parts ideas too.

Here's a pic Ash took to show how big the fairing was originally in relation to the bike. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:01 PM by GRAB ON KID »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 07:55 AM »
I think these are pretty cool bikes, ideal for the hills or mountains like we have here in Perth (hills) or California (mountains) but would have been pretty lame in the UK around West London where I grew up!

You've done an amazing job with that Ash, a true marque of respect for the OM and the history he played such a huge part in.  Would love to give that a ride and scare myself stupid on it  :D.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline GRAB ON KID

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Well as Ash hasn't added anything recently i'll just expand on the concept behind the design. i wanted it to look as if this could've been Scot's personal team GPV using 1979 as a timescale basis for the logos & overall design to keep it looking vintage ,period correct & as a tribute to Scot .

BITD before he was known as "OM" & seeing Scot race at the early east coast nationals,the race announcers used to call him "Birdtrap" which was  a nickname given to him by Oz as a mispronunciation of Briethaupt.Oz called him "Old Man Birdtrap",which was shortened to "Birdtrap" by announcers then later just "OM"  as we all know him as now…..so i thought it would be a really cool touch & a more personal tribute to Scot dubbing it just "Birdtrap".

Ash sent me some pics of logos he wanted to include so i picked the best of those & worked  them into the design along w/others i'd already chosen.

He wasn't keen on the wing design for the fairing which was put there to tie in w/the "Birdtrap" concept  so i changed  the design so it looked more Superbike-  decked out w/all the sponsor logos & came up w/this.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:41 PM by GRAB ON KID »

griff

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 04:00 PM »
Awesome work - Scot would have been proud! Just a pity he never got to see it

Offline GRAB ON KID

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Cheers Griff,well we wouldn't be here today without Scot's innovation,inspiration,promotion,organisation & all out passion for BMX & yeah i would have loved for him to see this as i'm sure Ash would've too.I luckily got to meet him as a kid & he was a legend back then! I remembered thinking what a total fooking dude he was & that i still want to be doing this when i'm his age.Coming up for 50 this year & still into it!  :slayer:

So a massive big up to Scot for all he did & accomplished back then to make this sport what it was BITD & what it is today!

A true maverick!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:50 PM by GRAB ON KID »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  BIRDTRAP GPV....the build thread

gfxgfx
gfx gfx