gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975499 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 08:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Kuwahara Laserlite
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Kuwahara Laserlite  (Read 11978 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: Kuwahara Laserlite
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 11:15 PM »
Good work! This is going to look great! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 10:03 AM »

I anodised the whole piece and then stripped the anodising from the teeth with a fine paintbrush and caustic soda.

Wow  :shocked:

Fair play - that's dedication  :daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 11:44 AM »

I anodised the whole piece and then stripped the anodising from the teeth with a fine paintbrush and caustic soda.

Wow  :shocked:

Fair play - that's dedication  :daumenhoch:

I did a gold Sugino a few yrs ago... won't be doing it again.  :LolLolLolLol:
It's a proper ball ache.  >:(
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 03:13 PM »
The handlebars, Laserbars of course, are back from chrome and very, very bling. Shout out to Chromefix in Birmingham for a super job again. So on with the build.

O.G.K. Cobra grips on. These are a little hard so I did try to soften them by soaking in mineral brake fluid for a week. To be honest it made no difference at all except that they continued to weep brake fluid for weeks afterwards. They are fine anyway, I just wanted to try it out, not as if there are many about after all.

The brake lever is a 1983 Tech 3 which I anodised myself. The cable is as close as I could find. It is nos Dia Compe stamped but undated. It is from a batch from a seller in Australia who claims they are late '80s and were for domestic Japanese consumption. No idea, but I am very happy with the silver/clear look.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The saddle took some searching for but one popped up on the museum and I insta-purchased. The bike was going to get a black Elina Lightning Bolt seat but Elina Aero Turbo is the correct beastie, P.D.N.P guts too. It is rider but very nice rider, looks better in the flesh.

Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Tyres, tyres, tyres. Perhaps the trickiest things to get, and am not going to hold out for the correct IRC tyres, so I thought I would go a little left field. A pair for very nice yellow Stadium tyres popped up a few months ago, I can not remember where but it may have been close to home as it were. I liked the idea of the yellow contrast to the black parts and the reflected yellow of the lightning bolts on the pad set. Now fitted I like it a lot which is handy as they were not cheap!

Sprocket is a 1983 16T Suntour and the chain Izumi.
Pedals Suntour XC II, the cages I restored and anodised in the kitchen, my first experiment with home anodising and they turned out lush!
The pad set is repop. I do have a set of yellow pads, which may be og, but I am not sure. I will try to take some photographs outside tomorrow if the weather is half decent with both sets fitted. Hope you like it!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:30 PM by Avro »

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 06:12 PM »
I know its your bike and you do what you want but for me those yellow tyres are not working at all cant see what they are doing for the bike? there freestyle tyres and that kuwi is an out and out race machine,get some comp III's on it whatever age (I know comp II's are big bucks but they have re popped them now I know) just my 2 penneth but I really do like that bike  :daumenhoch:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 09:35 PM »
The Stadium tyre was just that, for indoor stadium races. It later became the choice for freestyle (whatever that is!). This Laserlite is oval tubed '83, it rocks stadium races!
Seriously, I knew the tyre would ruffle feathers, it is not an obvious choice. Please wait for the outdoor shots and the yellow pads before making me  :'(

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 10:19 PM »
Sorry but i agree... think it needs black tyres.  :-\

Very nice otherwise... really like Kuwi's.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 07:26 AM »
Lots of the earlier KZs rocked yellow tyres or at least I’ve seen plenty that have/do. I’ll wait to see the pics as yellow pads might help to balance out the look, likewise yellow grips and/or a yellow seat! Then you could sell that crappy, old Elina to me! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

In2bmx

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 08:40 AM »
Yup . Lovely looking bike ..  But i'd try black tyres too ..  But try the yellow pads it might work  :daumenhoch:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 01:25 PM »
Lots of the earlier KZs rocked yellow tyres or at least I’ve seen plenty that have/do. I’ll wait to see the pics as yellow pads might help to balance out the look, likewise yellow grips and/or a yellow seat! Then you could sell that crappy, old Elina to me! :daumenhoch:

Funny you should say that, I do have a suite of yellow parts I have been collection for another build. The parts include yellow Tange grips, yellow Lightning bolt seat amongst other lovely bits. Although I really do like the tyres on this bike, I agree that more conventional black knobblies would look the beans and be very classy if a little obvious. I will be back, thanks for the opinions and thoughts it really helps to keep the enthusiasm up to carry on posting.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 01:51 PM »
Yes mate, definitely keep posting! You could always do 2 versions: one yellow and one black, then run a poll to decide the winner!! Alternatively just ignore us old farts and build your bike the way you want it! :daumenhoch:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2018, 08:36 PM »
The yellow parts suite is dedicated to an upcoming build so I can not do a yellow build.
It was a miserable day here today so no photographs outside. I did try the yellow Kuwahara pads and the look was the same.  I doubt I could find IRC Racers at a price I could afford so alternatives sought; I will try the 'Comp II' copies although I suspect the same peeps who disliked the Stadium tyres will dislike the copies too! Meh, I will fit and see. I know it will look more conventional but....

Offline login_user

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 08:54 PM »
looking good. The hard work is worth it.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 08:25 PM »
I've nowt against repop tyres... og ones are hard to find nowadays.  :-\

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Today I took delivery of a pair of 'Comp II' copies to try on the Laserlite. Blimey, they look far better in the flesh than in any pictures I had seen. The sidewalls are a nice honey/amber colour and the whole package feels really good. I am very surprised to say the least! Hands up, I was wrong. You just can not beat classic looks and lines. If tomorrow is fair I will get the outdoor shots, the 'Man-Cave' is a little tight for decent shots! So much work in this build but all worth it!

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 01:08 PM »
That looks so much better and those tyres will take plenty of pressure without the worries.

In2bmx

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 01:33 PM »
That looks so much better and those tyres will take plenty of pressure without the worries.
I Agree with Glynn ..  That looks better to me ..  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Now that looks the mutz nutz fella!  :4_17_5: :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2018, 05:53 AM »
Have just seen this over on the Museum and very nice it is too, though get rid of those Stars and Stripes!! :Great_Britain: :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2018, 01:33 PM »
that looks the bollux  fistblump

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Finished and very pleased:

On to the next project.....

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2018, 02:35 PM »
Looks great one of my favourite bikes 👍

In2bmx

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Very nice that . Great build  :4_17_5:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Looks so fast  :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Kuwahara Laserlite

gfxgfx
gfx gfx