gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 09:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Repop Hutch Grips
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Repop Hutch Grips  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Repop Hutch Grips
« on: October 12, 2017, 10:42 AM »
I'm not sure how long these have been available, I was away from the hobby for 9 months, so apologies if this is old news.

I'd heard that John De Bruin (JDB) at www.hutchbmx.com was in the process of remaking the OG Hutch grips and due to the thread outing of the Cannock Coont (again), realised that these were already on sale.

I'd always wanted a set for the Pro Racer that I bought off Andy as I'd done a deal with Bretty to get a Hutch seat and bear traps, but as those that know me will know, I'm all for saving cash on my builds, providing that the bike looks right. So, I looked at them on the website and they were $40 with $15.50 postage, this at today's exchange rate works out at £42 posted.

If you're like me and don't care about mixing up your OG and Repop parts, I seriously recommend investing in some of these for your Hutch as I predict that once JDB has sold all these on his site the price on these will be pushed up.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 10:43 AM by Retrodan72 »

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: Repop Hutch Grips
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 10:51 AM »
Allegedly Dan, the quality of these grips are horrendous. I personally have never liked the look of them and wouldn't waste my money, but that bellend on eBay pushing up the price for his own personal gain (they didn't sell legitimately) will just get others trying to rinse others for repop items.
BANNED

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 11:04 AM »
Allegedly Dan, the quality of these grips are horrendous. I personally have never liked the look of them and wouldn't waste my money, but that bellend on eBay pushing up the price for his own personal gain (they didn't sell legitimately) will just get others trying to rinse others for repop items.

I knew you'd put a negative spin on them Tel.

The thread is aimed at people HAPPY to use repops and NOT worried about mixing repop and OG parts.

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 09:06 AM »
If money was no object or original parts werent so over priced? I think we would all go with original bitd stuff but some stuff is just way out of a lot of peoples reach so I can see both sides of this one  :daumenhoch: tbh I really love to see a bike loaded with all original parts as it looked bitd but when I see them on here I can only wonder what the hell jobs you all have to be able to spend that type of money on a single part never mind a complete bike! disposable income? whats that lol .... I'm not lealous tho lol  ??? ::) :D :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 10:18 AM »
If money was no object or original parts werent so over priced? I think we would all go with original bitd stuff but some stuff is just way out of a lot of peoples reach so I can see both sides of this one  :daumenhoch: tbh I really love to see a bike loaded with all original parts as it looked bitd but when I see them on here I can only wonder what the hell jobs you all have to be able to spend that type of money on a single part never mind a complete bike! disposable income? whats that lol .... I'm not lealous tho lol  ??? ::) :D :daumenhoch:

The thing is though that some OG parts are only at an increased value due to shill bidding on eBay pushing them up and hoarders keeping hold of them for investment purposes which makes things more rare and desirable to those who are quite happy to wait for a part and for those with enough spare income to afford over inflated costs - let's be honest, most of these OG parts aren't really worth much are they?

Personally, I earn an OK wage, if I wanted to I could hold out and get an original set of Hutch grips, but my priciples and conscience won't allow me to because IMHO paying £200 for a set is ridiculous (no offence to anyone happy to spend this). Sorry, but I can't justify spending this amount on a set of grips that aren't worth half that.

As for these repops, I'm not put off by Terry's review of them which is only based on hearsay, not actual personal use or testing, but even if he'd owned a set and ridden to the end of his drive and back and they'd fallen apart, then said they were horrendous, I'd have probably still bought a set.

I think what's happened here is that a load of bitter OG Hutch grip owners are bad mouthing the repops as they're shatting themselves that their original examples will devalue.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 10:24 AM »
I just got some delivered, Hutch never paid for the VAT Royal Mail told me, so I got stung with £16 charge on top of buying them  :tickedoff:. I haven't opened them yet, got the BLUE ones... hopefully  ???

Offline tfi_friday

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 10:26 AM »
I got a black set yesterday and the quality isn’t great, mainly with the painted white Hutch text and “H” on the grips.

It’s uneven and paint splatter around the area. Looks very very rushed...

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 10:32 AM »
I got a black set yesterday and the quality isn’t great, mainly with the painted white Hutch text and “H” on the grips.

This is a more accurate review Al.

I'll see what happens when mine arrive, I'm sure I can tidy them up with a scalpel.

Offline tfi_friday

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 11:34 AM »

This is a more accurate review Al.

I'll see what happens when mine arrive, I'm sure I can tidy them up with a scalpel.

That’s exactly what I planned to do :-)

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 12:41 PM »
It's all just 'Hutch' tax anyway....aren't they just re-labelled TANGE grips at the end of the day??  :-\
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:45 PM by deeman »
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 12:55 PM »
It's all just 'Hutch' tax anyway....aren't they just re-labelled TANGE grips at the end of the day??  :-\

Pretty much Damo and I won't mind betting that Tange's are about £50 thanks to the Burner boys bidding them up.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 01:05 PM »

Pretty much Damo and I won't mind betting that Tange's are about £50 thanks to the Burner boys bidding them up.

'Flippin 'Orrible grips to ride with! Gimme a pair of Sharp's any day!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline radovr

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 01:10 PM »
I bought  2 sets from the hutch site last month and they recently arrived.  Very pleased with the quality and the price . Black....cant go wrong . The blue is a good match for what i want ,  dont know on the other colours but hey horses for courses and all that .....
NO  I  don't do face book  ... or twitter ...oh or my space  . You kinda get the picture  .

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 01:14 PM »
I bought  2 sets from the hutch site last month and they recently arrived.  Very pleased with the quality and the price . Black....cant go wrong . The blue is a good match for what i want ,  dont know on the other colours but hey horses for courses and all that .....

Glad to hear this mate following our recent reviews, there's hope for mine yet then.

Offline radovr

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 01:42 AM »
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
NO  I  don't do face book  ... or twitter ...oh or my space  . You kinda get the picture  .

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 12:07 AM »
^ that blue looks a good match to the originals. I got lucky when i was doing my hutch build, and managed to find a really nice pair in black for under £200. I reckon they would be almost double that now. The repops look good, and are great if you want to ride the bike without getting worried about them getting damaged. If i was doing the build now, i would defo use the repops until an original set came along. Hutch builds without hutch grips just never look 100% finished to me

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 12:10 AM »
^ that blue looks a good match to the originals. I got lucky when i was doing my hutch build, and managed to find a really nice pair in black for under £200. I reckon they would be almost double that now. The repops look good, and are great if you want to ride the bike without getting worried about them getting damaged. If i was doing the build now, i would defo use the repops until an original set came along. Hutch builds without hutch grips just never look 100% finished to me

I'd still be worried about damaging my £41 repops Andy.

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 07:54 AM »
Me to Dan, but slightly less than if they were £200+  :shocked:  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 10:44 AM »
Repop Ame's are £25 tops, so why pay 40 quid for these? Not even nice grips.

I use Ame tris if I need rider grips, technically not repops either, they never stopped making them  :4_17_5:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 10:53 AM »

I use Ame tris if I need rider grips, technically not repops either, they never stopped making them  :4_17_5:

£40 inc US postage Roosk, you have to remember Hutch tax has been bunged on too.

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 11:09 AM »

£40 inc US postage Roosk, you have to remember Hutch tax has been bunged on too.

Import duty as well, fook me ragged, what is wrong with people today?  :wtf:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2017, 02:18 PM »
I bet the quality of these BITD wasn't much better .. OG Tange's are about £45 but if you've got a Hutch why not Dan?
I think for most people Repops is going to be the only way forward anyway ..
I think about doing a build and it's usually the seat, Grips and tyres that are hardest to find ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 01:54 PM »
Repop is out there and has helped many people create their childhood bikes at a more affordable price. The only problem I would have with the Hutch grips, is some muggy muggy c**t trying to sell them off as original.. are they dated or shown that they are repop? I'm aware that there's a few Hutch pedals that have been tampered with and sold on as original..
Griff loves BUM..

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 02:36 PM »

I knew you'd put a negative spin on them Tel.

The thread is aimed at people HAPPY to use repops and NOT worried about mixing repop and OG parts.

To some Dan, it may be negative. I don't personally own any repop grips for that matter. I have gone on the word of what others who have them have told me, people with originals and years of experience in this hobby. They may help some in their recreation of an old school bike, but to me, if it hasn't come from the era it was initially used by myself in, then it's not for me. If I were to use reproduction or new grips, I would by the a'me tri's or rounds from Pork Chop for the huge sum of $6.99 a pair. Far more comfortable to ride with and worth the vast expenditure  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 04:44 PM »
Repop is out there and has helped many people create their childhood bikes at a more affordable price. The only problem I would have with the Hutch grips, is some muggy muggy c**t trying to sell them off as original.. are they dated or shown that they are repop? I'm aware that there's a few Hutch pedals that have been tampered with and sold on as original..

I was wondering the same: how to determine the difference between old and new?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Repop Hutch Grips

gfxgfx
gfx gfx