gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 05:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Hey!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hey!  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Ruffryder

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Hey!
« on: October 27, 2017, 08:59 PM »
In 1981 I got my first BMX...a Team Murray. It was an absolute piece of crap...but I loved it. The single bolt stem was a masterpiece!
In 82 I wanted  to do Diamond back silver streak build, but the nearest shop were sold out of f&f so I went for the DB pro. I think that's what it was called, it was the same frame as the Harry Leary but normal chrome, not smoked. Wanted black tuffs but the writing on the frame was red so it got red tuffs.
In 83 I built a P.K. Ripper, white frame and white Aero zytecs (they didn't have white tuffs in stock)
Stopped riding a year later and the Ripper sat dormant in my bedroom. In 85 a mate of mine who was still riding wanted to swap my bike for his Haro master. The frame was sprayed dark red with black Z rims and it looked good so I swapped bikes and used the Haro for something to get to school. Spent hours flexing the z rims...til they stayed flexed!
Every now and then I look on eBay for old 80's bmx's out of curiosity, and recently got hold of a 2014 Mike D Haro sport.....so I've ended up here!
I've read that the Vector bars on the tribute bike are 22.2 and not 21.1. I've never been a lover of the Vector bars and wanted to get some white Haro bars, so does anyone know of a decent stem that wouldn't look out of place?

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Hey!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 10:42 PM »
 :welcome to  :radbmxsmilie:  :daumenhoch:

There are many stems and stem-designs you could go for. If you run a Gyro you may need one with a hollow-bolt (to make the front breake cable go through the stem).
It would be cool if you could upload some pics of your current projekt.  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 08:05 AM »
Welcome to  :radbmxsmilie:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 11:22 AM »

Love to see some  pictures  of your old bikes in the 80s.

Offline Ruffryder

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 11:33 AM »

Love to see some  pictures  of your old bikes in the 80s.

So would I! I don't have any myself, but I'll ask around the family. I did find an old photo online of Andy Ruffell at Southsea skatepark with me in the crowd.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 03:12 PM »
Welcome to RAD!
I too am a hater of Vector bars.....'orrible things!
Your stem choice depends if you want to run a hollow bolt for the front cable (potts mod)....
A Redline forklifter would look good or possibly a fake one depending on your budget, or a Group 1 from Alans...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haro-Group-1-Vintage-Stem-Old-School-BMX-1-Inch-Shafted-One/222538156920?hash=item33d04ecb78:g:f5AAAOSw6YtZVpz6

He also does the repop Haro bars...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haro-Freestyler-Bars-Handlebars-Master-Sport-Old-School-BMX/282513970637?epid=1163609406&hash=item41c72515cd:g:4mkAAOSwMORW8Dji
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Hey!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx