gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 03:37 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1984 Redline 500a Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1984 Redline 500a Build  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
1984 Redline 500a Build
« on: October 15, 2017, 11:01 AM »
Back in the early 80s, my second bmx and first decent bike was a white Redline. When I say bike, it was a third or fourth-hand frameset onto which I swapped over the mish-mash of parts from my Cycle Pro. I'm not sure of the exact model but I loved that frame, and it definitely helped to take my riding to the next level. I stripped the factory paintwork and did a poor, rattle-can spray job on it, replacing the decals with the red/orange/yellow ones which had by then come out for the series 3 bikes. I finally ended up selling the frameset after cracks started to appear in the fork dropouts! Suffice to say that I’ve since had a soft spot for Redlines, particularly those wearing the series 3 decals that I painstakingly applied to mine.

With that background in mind, I always keep an eye out for Redlines coming up for sale and after several near-misses, ended up pulling the trigger on a 1984 500a frameset. I had originally been looking for a Japanese-made frame but several things swung this one in my direction. Not only the good condition of the chromework and those nostalgic decals, but also the quality of the welding. I’d previously looked down on Taiwanese-made bikes as being of poorer quality than their US and Japanese counterparts but the welding on this Giant-made one looks excellent. However, the icing on the cake was the og shop decal on the seat tube. Whilst these are always nice to see, I noticed that this one came from none other than Stu Thomsen’s Family Bicycle Center in Riverside, California. So although it may not be a Stu Thomsen Redline, at least I can say that this came from his shop! :D

With the frameset shipped over to Japan last year, I started to collect parts for it but as some of you know, I then decided to go racing, so the build went on the backburner. However, I now want to crack on with my old school builds again, so with race practice rained off this weekend I dug out the box from the closet! I’ve decided to go for a bit of a blue and yellow theme with this one, and have snapped a few starter pics to give you an idea where I'm going. As always with my builds, I'll be using survivor parts wherever possible, and am not too worried about keeping it catalogue-spec. Am planning to get this done before Christmas, so will update this thread as and when things start happening!  Watch this space! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:03 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: 1984 Redline 500a Build
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 11:19 AM »
The above frame and fork pics were taken last year, and the ones below this afternoon. Haven't decided on bars, seat post, pedals or brake lever yet, though a Takagi opc will be going on it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:21 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 12:39 PM »
I'm liking the look of this, I love Redline bikes as so many of my friends had them bitd and I loved borrowing Tony Brennan's Proline over Hayden Hall and at the Capital Radio day at Battersea Park! I'm thinking a PK Ripper or a Redline as the last bike to add to my little collection, so this is going to be some positive inspiration for me!

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 08:46 PM »
Going to be nice this.....gotta be STR bars given the history!!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:35 PM »
Very nice Mick... shame Redline's don't seem to get the credit they deserve. Looking forward to seeing this progress.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 01:16 PM »
Thanks gents! :daumenhoch:

Would love some STR bars but they're well out of my price range. Instead I'm thinking of using these puppies, which I'd bought for my Trident but they haven't yet seen the light of day, so I may dust them off for a spin on the Redline! :D

monkian

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 02:06 PM »
This'll be sweet Mick. Cool bit of history with the frame ;)

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 03:17 PM »
What ear are those bars Mick? Looks like old Voris just got a pair of Woody bars and bent the ends!!  :-\
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 05:48 PM »
That's going to be  splendid build  :smitten:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 01:01 PM »
What ear are those bars Mick? Looks like old Voris just got a pair of Woody bars and bent the ends!!  :-\

They were sold to me as 1st generation VDC-made (or more accurately, VDC-bent) Powerlites which I think came out in 1982. Perfect for my '83 Trident but think I'll give 'em a trial run on the Redline! :daumenhoch:

Offline Howser

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 07:26 AM »
I agree redlines seem to be underrated but are superb bikes and ride really well. Really regret selling my one . Looking forward to seeing this build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

griff

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 08:15 AM »
Very nice Mick, will keep an eye on this thread  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 08:09 AM »
I need to swap some parts over and make a few adjustments but the Redline is almost done! I therefore took it out for a shakedown ride today and took a few pics. Below is a sneak preview - I’ll post some proper ones when it’s finished!! :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 10:56 AM »
Looking like a nice survivor that Mick.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Thanks mate! I’d like to get it finished this week but otherwise it’ll be during the Xmas hols.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 10:06 AM »
Nice work Mick, a worthy contender for December's BOTM.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 11:48 PM »
Thanks Dan! Yeah, if I can get in done in time, I’ll whack it in there! Failing that, January’s. :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:56 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Still not finished but now a little bit closer after receiving this over the holidays! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 10:53 AM »
Like the bars, I was saving this plate for another build but none of this stuff is doing anyone any good hidden away in boxes, so I've decided to dust it off and sticker it up for the Redline! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 12:38 AM »
Back, photographic and computer problems have delayed things but better late than never, the Redline's done! I need to sort out my pc to get the pics re-sized for uploading on here but below are a couple of preview pics to show how it's looking in both naked and race forms. More pics and a part list to follow! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:41 AM by Mikku »

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Like that Mick... looks cool.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 01:47 PM »
Thanks mate. Am happy with how it turned out. Ideally I’d have another stem on there and had my eye on a nice-looking, blue Sugino one, but since I’d always planned to use the blue pads on this, decided to save my pennies and make do with the old SR. Anyway, enough talk, here’s the parts run-down and a few more pics:-

Spec

1984 Redline 500a Series 3 frame and forks (full cro-mo made by Giant, supplied by Stu Thomsen’s Family Bicycle Center)
Powerlite bars (VDC, first generation)
A’me grips
SR MS-423 stem
Dia-Compe 890 brake caliper
Dia-Compe Tech 3 brake lever with cover
Generic rear brake cable
Weinmann brake pads
Excaliber seat post clamp
No-name cro-mo seat post
Kashimax MX seat
Araya rims (20 x 1.75)
Suzue sealed hubs
Cheng Shin (20 x 1.75) tyres with Kenda tubes
Shimano DX pedals
Takagi 175mm opc
Tioga BB
Takagi chainwheel (43t)
Tuff neck power disc
Suntour freewheel (16t)
KMC chain
Dropout savers (Joe Buffardi specials)
California Lite padset
J2 number plate

Keep it  :radbmxsmilie:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:50 PM by Mikku »

Offline renegaderacer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 07:12 PM »
That's one sweet looking ride!  :smitten:

Have to say being a freestyle guy, I'm getting more and more into these old school race builds!

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Looks cool  :daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 10:59 PM »
Thanks guys! My last few builds were fun and I loved the bikes but they didn’t have the emotional attachment that this one has, so I’m happy how it turned out. :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1984 Redline 500a Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx