gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975496 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 11:02 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Redline 401 flight cranks issue
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Redline 401 flight cranks issue  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Redline 401 flight cranks issue
« on: October 25, 2017, 07:03 PM »
I'm trying to help a friend with his flight cranks issue. He bought a nos set, but obviously some spacers were missing. It doesn't sit tight in there, it wobbles from left to right (or vice versa).
As I personally never used them I don't know a thing about 'em, hence I don't know possible issues or a solution to this issue either.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.  :daumenhoch:

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:18 PM by Andyboy77 »

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Re: Redline 401 flight cranks issue
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 07:27 PM »
Andy they're just new twin pinch Flights so easy to sort as it's all modern and metric.

So what is wobbling - the crank arms or the power disk / chainring?

Crank arms means he needs to fit the tubular spacer in between the bearings along with any washers needed to make the inner ring on the sealed bearing races touch the spacer. Then pack the crank arms with washers once the bearings are fitted so the cranks clear your backstay tubes equally as the drive side will have a top hat washer and the power disc thickness to match on the non-drive side.

If the power disc is wobbling you either have no top hat washer to convert the 19mm spindle to the 23.6mm hole in the spider that fits a one-piece crank. If you have a top hat washer but the power disk is still wobbling then your top hat washer is thicker than your power disc and you need to file it off a bit so the crank arms are directly bearing onto the power disc.

If it's neither the arms or the power disc then what is it wobbling?
Still limping......

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 07:52 PM »
Thank you Spen  :daumenhoch:

I can actually move the whole thing from left to right. The crank arms are attached to the spindle - this whole thing is moving within the BB.

Better I try to get better pics, so it may be easier to spot the exact issue - regarding which washer is missing or maybe placed wrong.

But it is good to know, those washers won't cost a fortune if needed.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 08:58 PM »

I can actually move the whole thing from left to right. The crank arms are attached to the spindle - this whole thing is moving within the BB.

Better I try to get better pics, so it may be easier to spot the exact issue - regarding which washer is missing or maybe placed wrong.

You just need the size of the spline. Once you have that a washer kit is very cheap and very easy to get. They come in various thicknesses so that you can get it just right. Fit the drive side first and make sure the chain is lined up, then it's a simple case of doing the other side :)

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 09:03 PM »

You just need the size of the spline. Once you have that a washer kit is very cheap and very easy to get. They come in various thicknesses so that you can get it just right. Fit the drive side first and make sure the chain is lined up, then it's a simple case of doing the other side :)

Brilliant! Thanks mate!  :daumenhoch:  I just found a couple of these washer kits. We need 'em  US-BB sized, right?

Offline VOIVOD

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 09:44 PM »
You`ll just need 19mm size-nothing to do with what BB you have:)
"Everything is a dildo.It just comes down to how brave you are."

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 10:08 PM »
You`ll just need 19mm size-nothing to do with what BB you have:)

Thanks for the info  :daumenhoch: 

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 02:38 AM »
Hi Andy, i think i have some 19mm washers/spacers. Do you want me to have a look for you?
Like these👍

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 03:06 AM »
Hi Andy, i think i have some 19mm washers/spacers. Do you want me to have a look for you?
Like these👍

Thanks Andy, that would be nice. But no need to rush.  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Redline 401 flight cranks issue

gfxgfx
gfx gfx