gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 07:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Low pro BMX U brake?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Low pro BMX U brake?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline mamadirt

• Curb Endo
  • Freakin' plastic pedals!
  • Rated:
Low pro BMX U brake?
« on: October 31, 2017, 04:19 PM »
Bit of a conundrum which I'm loathe to give up on just yet.  Got myself a nice little 18" Subrosa frame which comfortably fits a 20"er out back but, of course, the brake mounts are about a cm too low  "nono"  I currently have a DiaCompe Magic brake but the pad slots are pretty low down so I don't have enough upward adjustment to make this work.  Any ideas on a different brake where the pad mounting slots extend nearer to the pivot mounting bolt?  I realise that this will compromise leverage but I really want to try to make this work  :yahoo_silent:  I've seen post extenders like these, designed for V brakes, but as my pivots are welded and not removeable this wouldn't be an option http://www.greenmachinebmx.com/shop/product/mcs-bicycles-brake-post-extenders-2491/

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Low pro BMX U brake?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 05:19 PM »
you could file the hole a bit on the brake arms or add a link to the chain or possibly a halflink.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 05:26 PM »
as above

18" ,    take it the frame is made for 18" wheels   

there are other calipers that look to be shorter than the dc magic  , cheapo blank ones seem quite short ,   a few of the higher end calipers are also shorter ,   seem to think the dc magics are front specific so perhaps a rear specific one will have long enough slots to reach the 20" rim?    rear specific  calipers tend to be little more compact.     

those post extenders are for v brakes mainly for 1 1/8 to 1.5 rim swaps, or to adjust to suit chain length,        don't work with a u brake

Offline mamadirt

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Cheers both!  Yup just did a little Googling and Blank, Coyote and Salt brakes all seem have slots which extend higher up.  Good call on the Magic being a front-specific brake - I hadn't thought of that  :chin:  Might give one of those a go before taking a file to the Magic  :daumenhoch:

Offline mamadirt

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 05:32 PM »
I guess there's always brakeless but at my age that's bound to end in tears  :buck2:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Low pro BMX U brake?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx