gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 02:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  EXEL-SIOR !
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: EXEL-SIOR !  (Read 5326 times)

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
EXEL-SIOR !
« on: November 27, 2017, 05:45 PM »
Yes I know it's spelled wrong  :LolLolLolLol:

OK so I am growing tired of building race bikes. I have built a few now, fancied doing an old freestyler. But the prices, dear god, the prices ! Then last week this Hutch showed up on Facebook for £250.

The bars are not Hutch. They are quite rare, and have been IDed as Concord.

I ended up buying frame, fork, standers, bars, stem, seat post and clamp (original) for just over £200. The nice thing is that there are no frightening bits on this. Wheels are going to be easy (Skyways) and are cheap as chips and I will no doubt put on a 3pc crank as the original is nasty.

Decided I hated the original decals.

BOAK. So I cobbled this together.

Then contacted Del with some instructions....

Over chrome.

As you can see I have numbered it.

1 = My design above as the main decal.
2 = Will say Hutch Exel Hutch Exel etc instead of Hutch Trick Star.
3 = As they are.
4 = As they are x4, IIRC
5 = As they are X2.

Del said "Easy" so I paid up and they should be here soon :)

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: EXEL-SIOR !
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 07:16 PM »
That's a cool project mate. Should come out really nice.  :daumenhoch:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 07:32 PM »
That's a cool project mate. Should come out really nice.  :daumenhoch:

Cheers :)

Just ordered the wheels and grips.

As I mentioned before no expensive surprises here. Got the wheels for a nifty and the grips for a fiver then 15% off Black Friday.

Had a rummage in my part bin earlier and found an American - 19mm 3pc sealed BB so yeah, cranks should be easy too.

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 07:33 PM »
Did something similar with one a few years back ... Actually lovely bikes very underrated...

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Piiiiiiiiiink  :D
If you need pink DC-cables, I can help.  ;)

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:58 PM »
Wow, great minds think alike  :LolLolLolLol: I swear, genuinely, I had never seen that before ! that's gorgeous :D Yes very underrated. I think it is because they were "only" $199 at launch. However, when you have a good look you basically have a GT Performer with standers and so on. So yeah, absolutely nothing wrong with the design of it IMO and it was all 4130 as well.

Found some cranks.

£24.99, 19mm. Which I already have the American BB for. New, I smacked it out of my Quad 24.

Andy - skint for two weeks now mate.

Edit in. I still can't believe that LOL. I had exactly the same idea as you for the head tube thing (only mine will be sheet with the text printed on) and our bikes are exactly the same colour scheme (pink, black and white lmao).

D'you wanna know what else is very odd? I said to the guy I got it from - "I wish it was black"  :LolLolLolLol:

Ed, here is the bike the bars came from.

The kid who owned mine must have done a swap with one of his pals back in the day.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:08 PM by Midschoolfool »

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Great minds Indeed !

There's nothing wrong with them at all , I also did a Wind styler , it's just Hutch snobs that don't like anything thats not (american made) Blah blah blah.....

Here's mine when i bought it ... Honestly i wish i'd have kept it original now ....

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 08:24 PM »
Yeah, gotta love a bit of hot pink tbh. It's just so f*****g 80s isn't it?

Mine was white OG. It's all literally just been painted. I saw it before and it was in a right old two and eight. Decals had all been pulled off (poorly, leaving the residue for mud to stick to) and some one had put mid school parts all over it. Probably just to keep it running.

Not that I care about that much, but they didn't even *look* era correct. I mean a single pinch 3pc is the same as it ever was really. Once Profile came up with their design it was pretty much game over on freestyle cranks. It could not be bettered and every one just copies the crap out of it. I will likely just whack a Hutch decal over the Salt one and leave that as done. Might put some clear coat on to make it pop a bit more :)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Cool but I actually like the original decals as well

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 10:04 PM »
Cool but I actually like the original decals as well

They look fine on coloured bikes but white they would just be a bit "meh".

Offline oska

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 05:09 PM »
This is cool, I wish I had the space and money to get a decent old school bike. I love my Ti but it's not the lightest or sought after but adding bits slowly to my own taste. I thought as it's a cheap bike I could do my own thing.

Can't wait to see this finished! Great idea for the decals too.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 07:24 PM »
Thanks fella. I sold some more PC stuff and bought some more parts. Cheapo set of levers

A seat*

And some tyres**

* I know it's not old and I don't care. I don't want farmer giles.

** These are not old either, but they are nice and plain, retro style and hold 40 PSI. Which I can dare up to 45 meaning they will be rideable.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 01:02 PM »
Del smashed it.

Plus the wheels, cranks and grips came in.

Now to see if a spider fits a modern set of crank arms...

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 11:53 AM »
Quick catch up. Ordered some more parts.

Pink.

Two sets.

A guy on Facebook sold me these for a tenner.

They will be pink. I have the hardware to completely rebuild them all like new. Black one is fake, other one is 80s I think. Will check when they arrive.

Today I modified the spider.

So that fits. Good thing I didn't sell these bearing cups tbh !

Will clean it down with alcohol later and put a couple of Hutch decals over the Salt ones, job's a goodun. I am totally doing a womble job with this. At some point I bought loads of parts that were either mis-sold to me (the spider was "Oldschool BMX Spider" no mention of BCD then when it turns up it's f*****g 130 BCD. And the bearings and cups came out of my 2016 Quad 24. I harvested all of the brake parts from lousy front brakes that come with modern bikes and so on.

I have this in my sights ATM.

Which will work great. Will most likely paint it pink, or, do a custom job on it. We shall see :)

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 01:52 PM »
Changed my mind on the chainring. Got this Shimano one instead. 39T, cheaper, gearing won't matter (given it's a FS bike) and almost no prep in order to paint it.

And some bolts.

And that should literally be the drive system sorted.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 09:08 PM »
Flippin' hell mate, you don't mess around do you. You make a dozen decisions in less time than I take to make one! :LolLolLolLol:

Anyway, I like how this one's shaping up. Keep us posted!! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 10:31 AM »
Flippin' hell mate, you don't mess around do you. You make a dozen decisions in less time than I take to make one! :LolLolLolLol:

Anyway, I like how this one's shaping up. Keep us posted!! :daumenhoch:

I could drag it on for months but I'm just not that sort of person. What I *do* want for it is a pink Hotseat, but I feared I could be waiting months for that and it will cost some. I think a lot of it is my autism. Some people can be relaxed and laid back about things and some never get things finished (no offence to yourself with that bit of course) but I am the opposite. I always finish things, no matter what. To the point where I lose sleep etc. My brain works immensely quickly.

Also consider when it comes to era correct any era is a go go for me. I try to put what I can on it that would be original, but I've always loved BMX so anything for me from any era (all apart from the last five years where every bike is black and they all look the frikkin same) is great.

Some of that is because I ride my bikes. I love riding my bikes. And modern wheels and tyres etc are just so much better than old ones. I rode my yellow quad all summer, then changed out the wheels for sealed, the drive for cassette (no more tucking bottoms into sock) and so on. That GT I just built? dear god, 110 PSI tyres it rides like it stole *you* haha.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 03:16 AM »
I do get things finished....eventually! ;D

I hear what you’re saying regarding new school though. I was very much anti, with no interest whatsoever until I started racing again this year. I love riding my (2011) Crupi and now find myself looking at new school race stuff more than anything else! :daumenhoch:

That said, you’ve inspired me to crack on with my Redline 500a build! ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:40 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 11:24 AM »
Wicked :D never had a Redline either.

The bike was sent yesterday so should arrive next week so I've ordered a ACS rotor sticker kit from Del.

Away for the day so I've probably missed the postman but time the frame comes I can have it redelivered.

Should be able to start building next week :)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:38 PM by Midschoolfool »

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 12:20 PM »
Parts got.

Ring and bolts came over the weekend.

I'm thinking chrome spider and pink ring, poss with white bolts?

Bearings are pressed and ready.

Seat.

I really dig the strengthened parts at the front and back.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Brake fun. Some one, incredibly kindly, donated me these brakes last week. They arrived today. The silver arm is dated 82, making it very old ! Any way, here they were before.

Put on my dust mask and set about them with a grinder first to remove any dents or damage. Then I just took the paint off of the painted ones, then stripped the ano from the other parts (blue and silver). Bugger me, ano comes off easy :D

I have removed the quick release intentionally. I forgot they are the spawn of Satan and probably one of the most annoying things ever designed. I drilled out the holes slightly to allow for brand new hardware too, so they will grip better (they are slightly larger).

Then for some primer frolics.

And after the disaster I had with the ano paint recently I blasted them to death with the hair dryer to make sure the paint stayed in place and did not sag. I then cleaned, degreased and then painted the only original hardware I will be keeping (as I have everything else brand new from other brakes).

They will now harden for a few days. Still not got the frame.. Am beginning to worry tbh. Tyres are also white walled which at first I was really pissed about, then when I fitted them on the wheels they looked OK. At least they are not those cheap, dry, tacky repops (they are Kenda, so decent). Yeah, other than that things are moving nicely. Oh yeah forgot to say, brakes..

Looks kinda like what I guess pink ano would look like if it was a thing. Which I like, looks nice and classy. Got these too.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 01:49 PM »

First pink part rolls out of the paint factory (my kitchen).

Will give it a few days, then clear coat. Working on the calipers now :)

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 03:23 PM »
Brakes are finished.

Will now give them a week to fully cure, then hit them with the clear.

I also ordered these as I was missing the plastic centre washers.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 07:32 PM »
Nice, this is shaping up well. You may be better off with some clear sticky pads if you actually want to stop with the tuffs! :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 09:37 PM »
It pains me to say this but I don't know if I am going to ride it.

Last time I rode an 80s bike I was alarmed at how skinny it all was. And I was only 14 stone then. I am now 17 stone and yeah, I can't see the brakes stopping me even without the rotor.

I've got two solid riders now. So I may keep it as a carpet queen. Not because I'm scared of losing money, just more scared of busting my ass lol. It should be here tomorrow, I will assess the situation then :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  EXEL-SIOR !

gfxgfx
gfx gfx