gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975495 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 10:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Blue Max - original specification?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Blue Max - original specification?  (Read 2802 times)

Offline anthony

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Blue Max - original specification?
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:45 AM »
Hi all,

Last night I picked up a 1984 Blue Max and it's in great condition for its' age.

As far as I am aware, it has the original handlebars and original SR stem. It also has Pro Class brake calipers and cables, with Araya wheels so the whole thing looks nice in my eyes. Once I have cleaned it up I'll post photos.

However, I'm looking for a spec sheet for these to try to make it as original as possible (except for those ghastly motomag style wheels, IF they were standard equipment, bleugh).

Does anyone have a standard spec for this model? Or were just standard Mongoose parts used?

Thanks

Anthony

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Blue Max - original specification?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:21 PM »
Pretty sure the earlier gusset models came with Motomags and the 84's came with spokes. There's probaly a few spec builds in this little lot.  :daumenhoch:

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/blue_max/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:26 PM by CustardLips »
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline anthony

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 02:08 PM »
I've looked through the '84s and I can't see any all-original spec builds funnily enough. I'll have to go through them again and make a list of the components  :(

Thanks for your help CL  :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 02:15 PM »
I've looked through the '84s and I can't see any all-original spec builds funnily enough. I'll have to go through them again and make a list of the components  :(

Thanks for your help CL  :daumenhoch:

No worries mate.  :daumenhoch:
Pm bobafett... if your talking Mongoose he's the man.  ;)

"WWG1WGA"

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Were blue max just offered as a frame and fork package and the original owner or shop built them with parts they wanted.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 02:39 PM »
They were completes Lee. Made by Mongoose for the kids of the American servicemen serving in Germany i believe.  :daumenhoch:
The Blue Max was a medal dished out by the Gerries in WW1 for shooting down 20 enemy planes... i think. ???

"WWG1WGA"

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 05:27 PM »
Yep I thought they were from the same stable ( mongoose under BMX products) as decoster, Jag and MotoTrac etc but I couldn't find a spec list under mongoose for the blue max so I presumed they only came as a frameset and then built with parts from that years mongoose.

Lovely looking frames along with the jag and decoster

Offline anthony

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 06:21 AM »
They were completes Lee. Made by Mongoose for the kids of the American servicemen serving in Germany i believe.  :daumenhoch:
The Blue Max was a medal dished out by the Gerries in WW1 for shooting down 20 enemy planes... i think. ???

I was under the impression that the earlier frames with the gussets were sold on bases, and the non-gusset sold to the masses but then again I could be spectacularly wrong.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 10:15 AM »

I was under the impression that the earlier frames with the gussets were sold on bases, and the non-gusset sold to the masses but then again I could be spectacularly wrong.

You could be right mate.  :)

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 10:00 PM »
Non-gusset Blue Max's sold in Halfords in around '84. Slightly lower spec than Californian's. Aero type seat, cnc rims, generic type 3 tyres, mx1000 style brakes etc, SR stem & pedals, steel one piece chain wheel, and so forth.

Had one myself after someone drove over my burner  :LolLolLolLol: Quite a bit better to ride obviously, and would happily resto one myself, nice pick up  :daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 11:42 PM »
Non-gusset Blue Max's sold in Halfords in around '84. Slightly lower spec than Californian's. Aero type seat, cnc rims, generic type 3 tyres, mx1000 style brakes etc, SR stem & pedals, steel one piece chain wheel, and so forth.

Had one myself after someone drove over my burner  :LolLolLolLol: Quite a bit better to ride obviously, and would happily resto one myself, nice pick up  :daumenhoch:

Bloody hell bud with how heavy and solid burners were was it a tank that ran over yours

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 12:12 AM »

Bloody hell bud with how heavy and solid burners were was it a tank that ran over yours

:LolLolLolLol: You're not too far wrong, was actually a tractor! Best part was that I got the insurance pay out from the farmer, then also from the Halfords bike insurance  :daumenhoch: Hence the 'upgrade'  :-\ to the Blue Max, which ended up being a lovely ride after a few component changes
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 11:41 AM »

:LolLolLolLol: You're not too far wrong, was actually a tractor! Best part was that I got the insurance pay out from the farmer, then also from the Halfords bike insurance  :daumenhoch: Hence the 'upgrade'  :-\ to the Blue Max, which ended up being a lovely ride after a few component changes

Just goes to show that having what seems like bad luck can be turning in to good luck.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Blue Max - original specification?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx