gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975495 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 09:43 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  GT Performer & Freestyle geometry
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: GT Performer & Freestyle geometry  (Read 5471 times)

Offline richiebozza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
GT Performer & Freestyle geometry
« on: October 23, 2017, 07:54 PM »
Evening folks!

I have always wanted an '87 or '88 Performer, or Freestyle Tour, or basically any of the GT's with the S-shaped down tube...can anyone tell me if the geometry was different between the Performers / Freestyles / Tours / Pros etc or was it the level of components that made the varients?

(Maybe it's my imagination, but Freestyle Tours always look more slammed that the other varients.)

And if I decided to go for a '89 '90 '91 version, is the geometry the same on those as the '87 & '88 frames?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:58 PM by richiebozza »

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: GT Performer & Freestyle geometry
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 09:33 PM »
Hi Richiebozza, did you study some pictures yet or did you have a look in the GT- threads and catalogues we have on here to get an idea? Usually that is a good starting point to determine differences.
On the other hand, there are a couple of GT-experts on here who may guide you in the right direction.  :daumenhoch:

Offline richiebozza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 10:29 PM »
I had a good look at loads of bikes on BMX Museum but the problem is that firstly many people have incorrectly listed what their bikes are, and secondly to effectively see any possible geometry differences the photos really need to be taken at the same perspective, which of course they're not...so yeah I was hoping that an expert on here might know.

As I say the Freestyle Tours often look slammed, but is that my imagination? Could it be the geometry is the same on all the varients, but the bend at the bottom of the seat stays (where they meet the dropouts) is what makes the bike looked slammed?

Offline tfi_friday

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 10:38 PM »
I’m pretty sure in 87-88 the Pro Freestyle Tour Team model, Pro Freestyle Tour and Pro Performer all used the same frame set, just the level of components differed. The Pro Freestyle Tour was available as a frame set on its own too.

Offline tfi_friday

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 10:41 PM »
The 87 catalogue states the three bikes use the same frame set as a base.

Offline richiebozza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 01:44 AM »
Cracking stuff tfi_friday that's some top info right there! Thank you!!

...and I have found the GT catalogues on here now so can mooch through them :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:03 AM by richiebozza »

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • No school like the old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 02:57 PM »
I've always found that the 85 Jap made performers sat lower like you mentioned fella.

84 and 85 have almost identical geometry. Ive had both at same time and lined um up. There are diffs between 84 and 85 obvs, but the geo is the same.

;)

Offline richiebozza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 11:23 PM »
Thanks Faze 3 !
Appreciate the info!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  GT Performer & Freestyle geometry

gfxgfx
gfx gfx