gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 09:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Completes ... would you? Dream bikes?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Completes ... would you? Dream bikes?  (Read 4730 times)

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
Completes ... would you? Dream bikes?
« on: January 07, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Ok so as my building days have slowed I always joke about “winning the lottery” and buying completes (in many cases if you want a Factory Spec build then it often and usually makes perfect sense).

So would you buy completes and if not why not.
If you would what would it/they be ?

I’ll kick it off with an 82 Raleigh Pro Burner ( it’s got to have OG blue snake belly’s on it though .. that would be a deal breaker)
The first bike I drooled about and when I saw one as a kid it was like seeing a rare Ferrari go past!  "wantit"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:04 AM by factory pilot »
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Completes ... would you? Dream bikes?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 12:43 PM »
I'd have to have this....
1978 Champion Squareback 26 with Bottema forks
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 12:45 PM »
I'd have to have this....
1978 Champion Squareback 26 with Bottema forks
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Excellent choice

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 02:02 PM »
That is indeed gorgeous matec fistblump explosion
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Would have to be one of these for me Ant, the reason I got my Pro Star for Christmas 1982 as it shared the same advert and was the closest I could get.

Offline Gra_goose

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 07:37 AM »
Easy one this... Mine would be Peregrine Craig LePage. Would need to be be full spec and dripping in shiny chrome Peregrine parts throughout! My one and only true grail bike.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 08:42 AM »
I've never bought a complete and don't think I would, even if money wasn't an issue, where's the fun in that?

Half the pride in looking at a complete you've built yourself is seeing the products of your imagination stream through it.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 08:54 AM »
I had a good think about this Ant. For me buying an old school complete, if it is not meant to be a rider and fairly cheap too, I wouldn't buy a complete tbh. Mainly because I enjoy restoring parts so much.
Although doing propper builds these days has become way more difficult and maybe even more unpleasant, due to the all various but well known reasons, I would always prefer to build a bike I'd like to have.

Dream bikes? Well, I have a lot by now that I could dream of but I'm very sure there will be some added in the future.
At the moment (in no particular order) :

- '86 CW California Freestyler
- Hutch Trickstar I
- Hutch Hollywood
- a lovely GT race bike (...have seen so many different models that look just killer)
- Jamis Laser (Freestyler - forgot the name though)
- Kuwahara Magician

...the list could go on and on, but considering I would have the cash and the opportuninty to get my hands on one of these (still beeing in original colour), I wouldn't have the heart to change it to favorit colour though.

In2bmx

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 09:05 AM »
HLT . And a few have been up recently .  Just wrong time of the year . And i have a Robinson to build .  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gra_goose

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 09:23 AM »
I've never bought a complete and don't think I would, even if money wasn't an issue, where's the fun in that?

Half the pride in looking at a complete you've built yourself is seeing the products of your imagination stream through it.

I must admit a custom built bike never really does seem to feel your own when bought complete, unless a full spec bike then a guess it matters not either way.

I’ve bought custom completes more than a few times, I usually end up stripping them, keeping the framset and starting the build again.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Interesting thread! No matter what the bike, be it factory, custom or a RAD BOTM, there's always something I want to change. The same goes for my own bikes, where there's usually been a compromise for whatever reason, usually financial but sometimes time, availability or change of mind. However, l'm sure if I won the lottery, there's something I'd buy. Maybe a new race rig rather than old school complete. Let me have a think about this. I'll be back! :daumenhoch: 
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

griff

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 11:53 AM »
For me it would be like buying a Lego set someone else had already built, but would maybe consider it if there were parts I needed etc
Of course it's neither here nor there as I'm not planning on building anything now but you never know I might one day (never say last build!)

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 10:30 AM »

I’ll kick it off with an 82 Raleigh Pro Burner ( it’s got to have OG blue snake belly’s on it though .. that would be a deal breaker)

Ironically the bike you’ve pictured had the tyres replaced pretty much straight away on release. The phase 2 had yellow label comp 3’s mainly. They are hard enough to get hold of as it is. I only know one collector with both versions in pretty mint Survivor condition and hopefully they might get an airing if there’s an mk 18 with a Raleigh marquee. The condition of the Raleigh kashimax mx and snakies on his phase 1 are something else.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 12:20 PM »
I would love a RL 20 II complete., in teal or Radberry..it's about the only complete you wouldn't have to change ANYTHING!!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 03:22 AM by deeman »
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Monk_Wally_Honk

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 12:33 PM »
Dream bike would be a JMC. Of all the ones I've seen over the last few years, if I bought a complete from someone without needing to change a thing it would be one of Jaan's, either his '81 or '83 Black Shadow or his '83 Darrell Young. All three do it for me.
Gertcha!

Offline dannyb

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 06:14 PM »
I would buy a complete bike in factory spec. Alto there is a lot of fun to be had in finding and building. Race would be Leary turbo and freestyle would be a haro master.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:42 PM by dannyb »

griff

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Just thought of one complete I would have (given unlimited pots of cash)

The Bob Haro ET rep that Sam Meticulous built and I think Jaan still owns - was too late to nominate this for BMX factor but here it is in case you missed it

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 10:34 AM »
I think it would be the Leary turbo in that pic too for me. Probably the finest example of one I’ve seen is that.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 11:07 AM »

The Bob Haro ET rep that Sam Meticulous built and I think Jaan still owns - was too late to nominate this for BMX factor but here it is in case you missed it

Last time i spoke to Jaan said he planned on building the full set. That'd make an awesome line up.  :shocked:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 08:21 PM »
About 12 years ago on eBay there was a mint factory spec Diamond back turbo factory spec apart from the tyres for £850 bin.ummed and aahed and bought a nos 85 sport f & f from skate pool and built that up instead coz I didn't want to buy a complete.

griff

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 09:08 AM »

Last time i spoke to Jaan said he planned on building the full set. That'd make an awesome line up.  :shocked:

Yes it would - imagine those all lined up at MK  :D

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Hutch Pro Star
Sadly I have sold mine

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 09:52 AM »

I always loved seeing Chris's pics, with that backdrop. What a great front garden.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 11:35 AM »
Jaan/Chris does build some top bikes, eh. So can the complete be someone else's build (like Jaan's) rather than factory? If the latter then I think it would have to be a Laserlite just so I could get my hands on a set of those bloody cranks! :daumenhoch:

If the former then it would have to be markyp's Patty that I entered in BMX-Factor! :smitten:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline portypaul

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 11:40 AM »
I bought an SE basher by Murray some years ago. What a crap f&f but the parts were supper.  I'd happily buy another

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Completes ... would you? Dream bikes?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx