gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975495 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 08:53 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Starting a new build, Ammaco Team Champion.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Starting a new build, Ammaco Team Champion.  (Read 3063 times)

Offline grey-beard

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Starting a new build, Ammaco Team Champion.
« on: September 25, 2017, 07:54 PM »
Ok, I've been collecting the parts for this for a little while now and have finally stated putting them together.
I want to build it as a rider, it's nowhere near original spec, but, it's a loop tail and who doesn't love a loop tail?
The chrome isn't great, the Tuffs are modern ones with Kool caps, but hey, I'm going to ride it and feel 35 years younger, for about 2 minutes and then feel 47 again?!

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Starting a new build, Ammaco Team Champion.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:21 PM »
Looking good so far  :daumenhoch:

Offline grey-beard

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Home made bar extenders! The renthals had been cut down at some point by a previous owner, so I decided to add a couple of inches to get them to about 28.5", just a good size for me. I've used a centre aluminium 14mm, then 2" of 18mm and 22.2 pseat post section. It's all super glued and a lovely fit.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 12:27 PM »
Subscribed for more pics and progress! Nice extenders and yes, who doesn't love a looptail. :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline grey-beard

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Subscribed for more pics and progress! Nice extenders and yes, who doesn't love a looptail. :daumenhoch:
Thanks, I will get more pics up as it happens! In the middle of a kitchen refurb at home at the minute and for reason that has to take priority?!

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Are you sure super glue is the best adhesive? not sure I would trust it....if the seal breaks then you just relying on the grip to hold it in!
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline grey-beard

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 07:38 PM »
Are you sure super glue is the best adhesive? not sure I would trust it....if the seal breaks then you just relying on the grip to hold it in!
I know what you're saying, but, the thick walled aluminium I used is a good interference fit, so there isn't really a lot of movement possible. I had a go at it with a pair of mole grips and it wouldn't budge, then the grips are rubber glued in place, so it should be fairly secure. Thanks for the concern though.

griff

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 07:08 AM »

If it does go then you can pretend you’ve got Grifter-style ‘twist-shift’ gears  :daumenhoch:

Offline grey-beard

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 09:48 PM »
Sort of finished this tonight, took for a blast around the block, tightened the bits that came loose and here it is.
Not sure about the seat, but it was cheap and available! used white cables to try and tie it in a bit?
The pedals are a bit tatty, but they do the trick and the repop levers are too gold, need to replace them at some point.

Offline grey-beard

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 10:02 PM »
Couple more pics

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 08:14 PM »
Looks real good...proper 84!
I reckon a black Kashi repop will look loads better oh, and move the bars back a bit!  :daumenhoch:

Offline grey-beard

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 10:35 AM »
I reckon a black Kashi repop will look loads better oh, and move the bars back a bit!  :daumenhoch:
I agree that a black seta of some sort would look better, I'm keeping my eyes open for an OG copy, I think that would suit the bike better than an expensive branded seat.
As for the bar position, I know that modern bikes are different, the geometry dictates the bar position really, but anyway this feels comfortable and BITD I always set my bars just about vertical.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 12:38 PM »
I agree that a black seta of some sort would look better, I'm keeping my eyes open for an OG copy, I think that would suit the bike better than an expensive branded seat.
As for the bar position, I know that modern bikes are different, the geometry dictates the bar position really, but anyway this feels comfortable and BITD I always set my bars just about vertical.

Bars vertical is fine....in the first pic they look quite far forward in a position only Burner owners seem to adopt!  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 02:21 PM »
I know that modern bikes are different, the geometry dictates the bar position

nothing new - whether old or new school you don't want them too far forward or back  ;)
if you have enough leg room try lining them up to the front axles  :daumenhoch:

Offline grey-beard

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 07:11 PM »
I checked with my spirit level, really, and they are spot on vertical.
I would say I'm a larger hombre at 6 foot and this frame could be longer, hence the seat post.
Next build I'm going for a longer race frame, but still old school I think 21" +, what would anyone suggest?

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 07:59 PM »
I would say I'm a larger hombre at 6 foot and this frame could be longer, hence the seat post.
Next build I'm going for a longer race frame, but still old school I think 21" +, what would anyone suggest?

You'll struggle to find a 21" + old school frame... you're venturing into mid school territory there mate.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 09:36 AM »

I'm 5'10 and I don't have a rider with less than a 20" TT. That's why I don't have any old bikes yet, and have bought modern reprods instead. What's funny is how my yellow 20" quad is 20.5 and so is my 24" "retro" quad. I really thought going 24 would make it so much more comfy to ride but because of the identical TT it feels hardly any different  :LolLolLolLol: I don't have to have the seat post anywhere near as high though.

Offline grey-beard

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 10:24 AM »

I'm 5'10 and I don't have a rider with less than a 20" TT. That's why I don't have any old bikes yet, and have bought modern reprods instead. What's funny is how my yellow 20" quad is 20.5 and so is my 24" "retro" quad. I really thought going 24 would make it so much more comfy to ride but because of the identical TT it feels hardly any different  :LolLolLolLol: I don't have to have the seat post anywhere near as high though.
I'm very tempted by the "retro" SE dippers and quads, as the tt size looks ok, they look cool and I wouldn't feel bad putting modern parts on them, but yes, the long old school bike may be a "long" search.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 10:40 AM »
I'm very tempted by the "retro" SE dippers and quads, as the tt size looks ok, they look cool and I wouldn't feel bad putting modern parts on them, but yes, the long old school bike may be a "long" search.

Yeah for sure. You may find like a proto or a bike made for a tall guy but you would need to produce a kidney.

I think that is why SE have had such a great run making reprods of old bikes because they have tweaked the geometry ever so slightly to make the bike more rideable which goes down well with its target audience. I had never had sealed headset bearings before. They didn't exist when I was riding pro and the last bike I had before 2013 was in 2003 so they weren't out then either. Doesn't make a huge difference over a good open ball (like an FSA) but it is nice. I think the main big differences in modern bikes are like old school weights with mid school strength. Oh and of course sealed bearing wheels and cranks. I think the cranks was probably the best thing ever to happen to BMX tbh.

Offline Nick Baines

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 01:06 PM »
Where did you get the decals done as my mate ha the same bike?

Offline login_user

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 05:12 PM »
looks good. Like the renthal bars

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Starting a new build, Ammaco Team Champion.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx