gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 10:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Gary Fisher - Pure Bender
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Gary Fisher - Pure Bender  (Read 7694 times)

Offline renegaderacer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Gary Fisher - Pure Bender
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 10:11 AM »
Nice work... looks tidy.  :daumenhoch:

Cheers mate  :)

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Nice resto. When I was a bike mechanic back in the mid 90s we used to be a main dealer for GF. Mountain bikes mainly, but obviously we got all of their BMXes too. Pure Bender actually wasn't the worst named one. They did one called a Pure Bender Spin as well  :LolLolLolLol:

They were actually good bikes, but came in drab colours with stupid names. So we had trouble selling them really, whereas the GT Performer was selling hand over fist. The only one I can remember selling was brought back to the shop three days later because the kid's mates were all taking the piss out of him because of the name of the bike. So I upsold him a Hoffman Condor.

Pleased you're enjoying the thread.  :daumenhoch:

I can't believe they'd give their bikes such bad names, not quite sure what their marketing department were smoking that day but the bonus is they're cheap to buy! Agree with you that they're not bad bikes. They're well made with nice welds and good quality components. Also they certainly shouldn't break considering they weigh as much as many of the people riding them!  :LolLolLolLol:

They did everything a mid school bruiser needed to do really. Good metals, as you say good welds, strong etc. But the colours? tank green, battleship grey and so on. I think the naming came simply from them being from America, and at that time we still were not globally connected through the internet fully (only geeks like me used to post on BB at that time). But yeah, talk about not even knowing your target audience  :LolLolLolLol:

griff

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Same goes for Wimpy with their 'bender in a bun'

Offline renegaderacer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 12:40 PM »
They did everything a mid school bruiser needed to do really. Good metals, as you say good welds, strong etc. But the colours? tank green, battleship grey and so on. I think the naming came simply from them being from America, and at that time we still were not globally connected through the internet fully (only geeks like me used to post on BB at that time). But yeah, talk about not even knowing your target audience  :LolLolLolLol:

Yeh, the colours are just as dodgy as the decals! If I was building it for myself it would definitely be at Dan's now having a re-spray. I'm hoping once my mate sees it he'll have a change of heart and the bike will have a change of colour!  :daumenhoch:

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 01:03 PM »
If he wants a chrome one give me a call

Offline renegaderacer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 02:03 PM »
If he wants a chrome one give me a call

:daumenhoch:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 06:42 PM »

I remember back in the early 90s before my mates started driving we used to walk up to a Wimpy in SW London and have comps to see who could eat the most benders. Amazing they are.. I've actually got one local to me now (In Littlehampton) but IDK if they sell those any more. Must get over there this summer and see :D

Offline renegaderacer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 09:30 PM »
Got my freewheel tool through today so I could finally fit the back wheel on the bike. The chain is a chunky mutha but looks the nutz.

Offline renegaderacer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 09:47 PM »
One annoying problem, actually two annoying problems I have noticed on the bike now is the front sprocket is a gnat's cock away from the rear brake and the fat chain literally rubs on the rear triangle. I can hopefully squeeze a spacer in the rear wheel to solve the clearance issue at the back but I'm not sure about the front sprocket. If I space out the front sprocket I don't know if it will fit correctly? Might be alright as it is, but there's always one more hurdle just as you can see the finish line!

Offline renegaderacer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2018, 04:59 PM »
Had a bit of time today so I fixed the chain clearance problem at the back by squeezing in a thick washer. Not an easy task when it was a tight fit to start with and the frame is built like a tank. Old school frames are so much easier to work on!  :LolLolLolLol:

I adjusted the back brake a give a bit more clearance on the chainring. It's not exactly how I'd like it but the brake clears it now.

With those bits done, I gave the bike a quick polish and that's going to it for now. If it was up to me, it would have new paint and decals but even as it is I'm pleased with how it's turned out and think it looks ten times better than when we picked it up. Starting to like these mid-school builds now!  :daumenhoch:

Offline renegaderacer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 05:01 PM »
a couple more pics........

Offline renegaderacer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 05:03 PM »
.....and a couple more.

Offline renegaderacer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 05:24 PM »
Oh yeh, I decided to weigh it on my digital fishing scales and it's 38 lb 1oz!  :LolLolLolLol:

The final spec is:

Standard 1998 Gary Fisher Pure Bender Kick apart from.....
SE 3 piece cranks from Voivod
Profile Imperial 43t chainring
Primo Tenderizer re-pop pedals
KMC 415 size motorcycle chain
NOS Sunn Black Box 36 rims on Prolite sealed hubs
14mm axles front and rear with fronts slotted to 10mm
NOS Fishbone Spectra pegs
Illegal 20x2.0 tyres
Gusset saddle

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Gary Fisher - Pure Bender

gfxgfx
gfx gfx