gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 16, 2024, 09:04 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Rip off Britain?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rip off Britain?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
Rip off Britain?
« on: February 13, 2018, 03:22 PM »
So once again, new parts are coming out in the US for relatively sensible money (I'm specifically thinking of the repro Haro forks @ $99) yet when they get to the UK, the dollar to pound conversion seems to have done a 180 and they are anywhere between £129 and £159.

This happened with the Ame tri's not long ago too. Are we just being taken for a ride by the manufacturers, or are certain BMX shops here making a killing?

Fooking annoying either way  :2gunsfiring_v1:
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

griff

Re: Rip off Britain?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:36 PM »
It's all Brexit's fault :teef:

Offline dp and chopper dude

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 08:24 PM »
It's usually down to manufacturers charging british companies more than they charge US companies. It's blatant in digital markets where cloud based software is charged directly from the manufacturer to end user - Adobe charge me £50 p/m for their software, if I was in the US it is the equivalent of £35 p/m - £180 a year cheaper.

Can't say specifically where the blame lies but I doubt that it is the shops.

Could you get round that by using a VPN to save yourself a few bob?

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:40 PM »
The UK distributor has to pay import duty which we all know is a piss take in this country & then of course make their margin before selling to the retailer who ad's their margin & of course Vat (s if were not taxed enough.

Divide the retail price of any pair of shoes by 2.5 & thats basically the cost price to the store before vat , Similar mark up on clothing . Hardware isn't nearly as high...

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:52 PM »
It's usually down to manufacturers charging british companies more than they charge US companies. It's blatant in digital markets where cloud based software is charged directly from the manufacturer to end user - Adobe charge me £50 p/m for their software, if I was in the US it is the equivalent of £35 p/m - £180 a year cheaper.

Can't say specifically where the blame lies but I doubt that it is the shops.

Could you get round that by using a VPN to save yourself a few bob?

Probably could but as my only job involves using Adobe Photoshop all day every day I'd be a bit wary of doing it.

I’ve no idea what VPN is, But if you have any kids you can get a student discount, Think my wife has just got the Adobe package for £15 a month through my son.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 01:03 PM »
Try living in Oz; everything is way overpriced.  Recently I bought some Iridium Spark Plugs for my car; $9USD each from Rock Auto in the US, $45AUD EACH in Perth, WA  :idiot2:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 03:50 PM »
Try living in Oz; everything is way overpriced.  Recently I bought some Iridium Spark Plugs for my car; $9USD each from Rock Auto in the US, $45AUD EACH in Perth, WA  :idiot2:

The good thing you have though mate is the benefit of having a really high starting value before you start saying any import tax's if buying in from abroad.

So on the upside you can buy from abroad whereby its just not worth it here anymore, especially  for smaller items  of £15 or more as they basically double in price with service charges & Vat..

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 03:19 AM »

The good thing you have though mate is the benefit of having a really high starting value before you start saying any import tax's if buying in from abroad.

So on the upside you can buy from abroad whereby its just not worth it here anymore, especially  for smaller items  of £15 or more as they basically double in price with service charges & Vat..

That is true Callum, we don’t get hit with any charges until you spend over $1000 but they are thinking of changing that to $100 however the estimates so far have indicated it would cost more than any benefit derived so they haven’t done it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:01 PM »

That is true Callum, we don’t get hit with any charges until you spend over $1000 but they are thinking of changing that to $100 however the estimates so far have indicated it would cost more than any benefit derived so they haven’t done it yet.

Fingers crossed it doesn't change for you bud & you can keep importing  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Rip off Britain?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx