gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
956738 Posts in 136329 Topics by 5492 Members - Latest Member: GooseJuice October 16, 2018, 01:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Market Place  |  Wanted/Needed  |  Entry Level Early 80's Frame & Forks Wanted
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Entry Level Early 80's Frame & Forks Wanted  (Read 301 times)

Offline gaf16

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Entry Level Early 80's Frame & Forks Wanted
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:05 PM »
New to the site.
Having completed several old school bmx and mtb projects in the early 2000's, I decided to sell all my bikes about 7 years ago when my twin boys arrived.
Now they are 7, I have an inclination to build both of them an early 80's bmx to use at the local track.
Looking for 2 x reasonably priced frame & forks.
Although I would love something that I owned way back, I think my budget will only stretch to something structurally sound which needs a full cosmetic make over.
I would much rather race frames over freestylers but, beggers can't be choosers as they say.
If you have anything that you may be suitable, please let me know.
Also going to be interested in parts in due course but, want to get frames sorted before moving onto that.
Thanks.

Online deeman

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Entry Level Early 80's Frame & Forks Wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:11 PM »
You may be better off buying them something new that will be better suited to riding. it is a nice idea to build them OS bikes but  I doubt they would REALLY appreciate it, work out expensive for an inferior machine and kids are cruel! Rather than their peers thinking it was old and cool  it would be more likely a piss take opportunity!! get them both a Mafia Hit main and build yourself something old and cool to ride round with them! They will thank you for it....
Another thought, buying a race specific bike might limit them a bit later if they want to ride a bit of street/ park...probably better off with an all round bike that can be changed later if and when they take a real liking to the race side of things.....just my opinion, others may disagree  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:31 PM by deeman »
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Tachikoma

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:20 PM »
Agree with Damo. Get yourself a nice bit of old school but your lads will be grateful for new school rides. You can pick up half decent completes on the bay for a fraction what you would spend on old school so win, win all round

Offline gaf16

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:37 PM »
I make you both correct but, doing it as much for me as them TBH.........!

Offline Tachikoma

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:45 PM »
Spoken like a true dad  ;D

Got anything in particular in mind?

Offline gaf16

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:07 PM »
Honestly? DP Firebird Delta II, Torker, Ammaco, Mongoose............In my dreams
Anything considered though!!

Online deeman

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 10:33 PM »
Honestly? DP Firebird Delta II, Torker, Ammaco, Mongoose............In my dreams
Anything considered though!!

get an ad up in the wanted section stating what you would like and more importantly your budget....you would be surprised at what people have kicking around....especially if you are looking at something to resto  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Spen69

• Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 01:39 AM »
Welcome mate. As others have said buying something newer for your lads is probably a better option and you could tweak them to look a bit oldschool with skinwall tyres and a bit of colour and then build yourself something nicer.

My lad is 7 and he loves his bike. His sister is 9 and has the same bike just different colours and I was lucky to score the pair off the bay for a ton. I then spent about 30 on tyres and cables and grips - just a thought that's all as you'd struggle to buy an oldschool f&f for the whole cost of both bikes :daumenhoch:

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:45 AM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline WINI chiquitita

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Im not sharing a bedroom with THAT rubber johnny!
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 11:38 AM »
I think Steve still has the predator for sale?

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,192006.0.html
"1984 GT Performer forks wanted PLEEEEESE"

Offline griff

• Team RAD
  • BMX Overlord
    • Griff's random selection
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Lots of sound advice above - if it's for kids to actually use in anger, then new school all the way. Lighter, stronger, better geometry and much much cheaper.
For what you could spend on a set of OS wheels you could probably get a couple of decent NS bikes
If they really get into it then they won't have stuff breaking all the time (which will cost )
If they decide to be fickle and fook it off in favour of ipads or something then at least you won't have lost as the bikes you lovingly restored are all scuffed up

Offline gaf16

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Thanks for all the good advice above which is much appreciated BTW.
I'm starting to think new school for my twins but, still fancy doing a 'Dad project' for myself at the same time TBH (maybe even blast round the local track myself at the age of 46 - or most likely to leave in my home office to look at and get all nostalgic every now and then!) ;)
Took a trip down memory lane with my 85 year old Dad earlier today when telling him I was thinking of trying to recreate one of my old BMX's from the early 80's.
He reminded me of something I had forgotten in the gilded memories of all my higher end bikes.
Early December 1981, just before my 10th birthday, I was riding a bashed up Torker he had purchased of a bloke he knew a few streets away 2nd hand.
I had just got into racing and he took me to a tiny bike shop called 'Ride On' (i think) in Penkridge, Staffordshire to buy a DP Firebird frame and forks that we could build into a race bike.
The bloke in the shop talked him into buying another bike at the same time for me to use as a daily rider (I was possibly a bit spoilt but deffo still working class BTW!).
This daily rider stayed with me until about 1987, despite several upgrades of my racing bmx's, when i stupidly sold it to some d*ck over the road for peanuts (most likely beer money by that stage).
Anyway, i recall that bike being a Akisu frame and forks (the model with a gusset hole similar to Mongoose / Ammaco but with fillets on the edges).
Do these still come up for sale at all?
I think if I really want to keep memories of my youth alive, this is perhaps the frame I should use as the basis of the planned build.

Offline spadey99

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 08:22 PM »
as Mark said above still got the Predator for sale..... 100 posted for frame forks bars headset crank and bb......  "wantit"
Bikes are there to be ridden, so why do I have so many.....

Offline Spen69

• Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 09:08 PM »
Yep those Askui generic framsets come up for grabs on here - I recently sold my old Ammaco 202 frame with a set of Askui forks for a ton plus post on here, so they are around :coolsmiley:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,191912.0.html

Trust us, new school for your lads is the way to go. You will cringe every time they chuck the bike on the floor if you spend too much on them, so just type micro BMX or mini BMX into ebay and you'll get sorted soon enough :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:10 PM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 07:52 PM »
I've got a chrome mcs magnum.check the museum to see what they look like.

Offline gaf16

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 08:51 PM »
Thanks all.
Managed to pick up a frame and forks for me on Ebay earlier today.
Now looking out for a couple of new school machines for my boys!

Offline gaf16

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Now on the look out for some red parts to start the build! ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Market Place  |  Wanted/Needed  |  Entry Level Early 80's Frame & Forks Wanted

gfxgfx
gfx gfx