gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975502 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 02:47 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Losing the will to live....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Losing the will to live....  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Losing the will to live....
« on: February 22, 2018, 03:40 PM »
OK LONG POST ALERT !!!!

So last year I sold up  I let everything go apart from My 83 Haro My Chrome Rickman & my Zapper (couldn't part with it in the end)…

I really though that was it for me, until an extremely rare cruiser frame came along that re sparked my interest… This hobby is supposed to be fun & a release from our jobs which at times gets extremely stressful & i was really looking forward to taking this on & doing a really good job on the build….

I needed some some forks making as Originals (would never surface) as theres only 3 of these frame sets known to have been made & they were never sold.

As I wanted to do this the right way i spoke to the brand owner & with their blessing & after paying them a commission I found somebody who came recommended to make the forks to the original spec along with some other parts …

The chap who will remain nameless was supposed to start this for me in November with a deadline of Christmas but just before i was expecting them to surface he called me & he said he’d struggle to finish them as his mum was ill with cancer ….

Ok , So I was 100% cool with this & really felt for him, i mean who wouldn’t be?  So after Christmas I got in touch to see how he was getting on & he said he’d crack on  & they’d be done within a week….. 

Were now nearly in March 4 months on from the start & theres been an excuse as to why the jobs not been done bi-weekly when i manage to get hold of him.

He never answers texts , says he doesn't have a camera on his phone & only ever answers the occasional call ….

The forks amongst a raft of other parts that i have ready (wheels seat post clamp brake etc all need chroming (a process which as i’m sure you know can take 1-3 months depending on the company & how much work they have on & the forks are delaying the whole job) …

He told me again last week the job would be 100% finished at the weekend & he had a friend in who’s also worked for the brand to help him but I've heard nothing in over a week ..  So today nearly in the 5th month of this fabrication I finally lost it & I text him saying if they weren't done by tomorrow just to let me know & Ill go elsewhere to have them fabricated…

Surprisingly he sent me a snotty message back (which i guess was better than nothing) saying “Ooh Somebody’s having a bad day”  that they were finished & that he was happy to keep & ride them if i wanted to go elsewhere ??????

Couldn’t fooking believe it,  he then proceeded to again make excuses as to why the radio silence & that he hasn’t got a camera phone nor been in touch as he’s been teaching this week ????

Now am i being a dick ?

I wouldn’t mind if this was a mate doing me a favour but its not , he’s supposed to be a professional frame builder & I'm employing him do do a job & all i want is proof its been done so that i can pay him for the work ???????..

Right now though this whole experience is ruining the build & my enjoyment in general , I’ve spent a fortune on other parts for this thinking this would have been finished long ago & I'm seriously thinking of fooking it all off….

Just cant believe how lackadaisical some people can be not to mention rude & have such bad customer service ….

Ive found somebody who again should be able to do this job & his work looks amazing but do i hang on  to see if he comes through (or)  just vote with my feet &  use an alternative fabricator & wait probably another 6 weeks or so & pay more for the work ????

Anyway i’m not sure if this was a post or just a rant,  but i feel a little better for letting off some steam…

Depending on the outcome I’ll name drop at a later date,  I wouldn't want anybody else to have to be messed about by this chap the way i have …

Thanks for sticking with all of that .

C .  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:45 PM by Funkyworm »

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: Losing the will to live....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 04:11 PM »
First off, i think the guy needs naming!
We all have issues and shit that comes up from time to time but to me that time period is a joke.
Even if he understimated work he had on before he took on your forks its poor management and we should know who it is.

regarding getting your forks i think its just one of those times you bite your lip and get through it. Save any more ranting at him until you have them in hand. would also be scrutinising the quality when i picked them up too.

not sure who you have worked out payment with him but i would have angled for a deposit with the balance on completion 
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Have you paid him anything? If not I'd go elsewhere and fook this joker off.  Its 2018 FFS, who doesn't have a phone with a camera??

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 06:08 PM »
Havent Paid him a penny fortunately

Reckons smartphones get messed up in his workshop with his dirty hands etc etc ...

Honestly the only reason i used him was because i'd seen some forks he made for a guy in the Rickman group & they looked good plus he's worked with the brand before & he had already made a set of these forks for a reproduction they built a few years ago. He had the Jig & the dropout pattern all ready so it seemed a good fit... Think is he comes across as a lovely chap but ffs I'd be fired if i was so un organised & it makes me wonder how he pays the bills if he's this bad...

Wish id have used somebody else now but I'll message him tonight & ask for a photos ... If he doesn't come through  tomorrow I'll have to start all over again .... :-[

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 07:47 PM »
This reminds me of frog bmx broken promises.
Go with your gut feeling mate and go elsewhere.
He is probably semi retired with a Nokia brick phone old school jobs worth.
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Yeah, it's a shit situation Cal but wipe your mouth and move on I say.

Sounds like you're ready to build this albeit waiting for forks, so would be a shame too fook it off.

Get the other guy to crack on with your new set of forks and you'll have a great bike for when the good weather comes.

All you've lost out on is time, could've been a lot worse. Don't let this messer ruin the enjoyment for you.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 11:03 PM »
just happy to see 'lackadaisical' used
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 11:05 PM »
just happy to see 'lackadaisical' used

;D

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 11:19 PM »
Poor customer service has the same impact be it from the sale of a can a beans, a Ferrari or a pair of BMX forks. I would look elsewhere, if the forks did show up from said fabricator then they would always be tarnished by the negative experience.
My thoughts, for what it's worth.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 09:48 PM »
Still nothing , 

I messaged him this morning asking when could i see a pic, that i had the cash ready to send to him & just for an update .. i also asked that if it wasn't done just to be fair with me to tell me the truth & to just let me know (& yet I've still herd nothing back from him).....

He can't have made them, it's the only reason in this day & age why somebody can't send a picture of work he's been employed to do, the works just not been done !

So finally i've given up & decided his excuses were all just bullshit: 

1: His i'll mother
2:His compressor breaking
3:Working on an (ice cream bike) which took longer than expected.
4:Not having the right materials at his suppliers.
5:It being too cold in his container unit for machinery to work properly.
6:A lack of mobile phone service.
7: Him not owning camera phone & of course.
8: "They're done, i just need to tidy them up" .....  (3 weeks ago)......  :bellend:

So fook you ya time wasting muggy c**t  Jon Aston owner of (Chickens Frame Emporium) Brighton..

On the up side I've Contacted another guy today who's work looks fantastic & Im awaiting a quote from him to do the work.. Hopefully it'll be reasonable .unfortunately he's also miles away from me & is stacked out with work & i think he'll be expensive but I'm staying positive & writing this on off to experience...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:09 PM by Funkyworm »

Offline Gra_goose

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 03:22 AM »
Not sure the other company you’ve contact is, but I’ve used Patrick Banks @ Limit Fabrications before and his work and prices are spot on.

http://limitfabrications.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 06:41 AM »
Not sure the other company you’ve contact is, but I’ve used Patrick Banks @ Limit Fabrications before and his work and prices are spot on.

http://limitfabrications.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s Pat that I’ve been speaking with , his work looks fantastic & hopefully his prices will be also !
He’s just really busy but that only goes to show that he’s in demand .  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 08:18 AM »
I'd be making a trip to pick them up if I were you, sounds like a lot of pissballing about so far and tbh I wouldn't trust them being delivered either undamaged or not at all!

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 09:50 AM »

Just go to a decent company and get em made, FBM, standard, S&M, pedal driven, list goes on and on. Get someone who actually makes bikes daily. If it was my choice for forks spooky Dave at pedal driven, the guy is truly awesome at what he does and will be quick turn around

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 10:24 AM »

Just go to a decent company and get em made, FBM, standard, S&M, pedal driven, list goes on and on. Get someone who actually makes bikes daily. If it was my choice for forks spooky Dave at pedal driven, the guy is truly awesome at what he does and will be quick turn around

Thanks for the heads up , I have a few options now hopefully ....

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 10:25 AM »
I'd be making a trip to pick them up if I were you, sounds like a lot of pissballing about so far and tbh I wouldn't trust them being delivered either undamaged or not at all!

Marty the guys down in Brighton & Im in Leicester , Im not wasting any more time on him i doubt hes even made them ..

If Pat comes through from Limit I'll go with him. if not I'll look at some of the options above ...

Thanks again for the heads up on contacts guys .... :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 01:29 PM »

Marty the guys down in Brighton & Im in Leicester , Im not wasting any more time on him i doubt hes even made them ..

If Pat comes through from Limit I'll go with him. if not I'll look at some of the options above ...

Thanks again for the heads up on contacts guys .... :daumenhoch:

Bummer Callum, that really does suck; hopefully Pat at Limit will pull the rabbit out of the hat for you and get you back on track  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 11:12 PM »
I’m always amazed how some people run their businesses! "nono"

At least you’ve not lost any money, and you sound more positive now than you did at the beginning of the thread! :daumenhoch:

Good luck with the new forks and I look forward to seeing the finished build! :)
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 08:57 AM »
 if a guy can`t commucate then it`s a waste of time as its 2018 not 1980 . so many forms of commucation and yes i know its time but to keep your clients happy you message then if only a text then its better than nothing ,move on i say
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 10:26 AM »
I’m always amazed how some people run their businesses! "nono"

At least you’ve not lost any money, and you sound more positive now than you did at the beginning of the thread! :daumenhoch:

Good luck with the new forks and I look forward to seeing the finished build! :)

Exactly Mick, it could have been a lot worse... I was just finding my building Mojo again too after having a year off & basically selling nearly everything off but I'm not gonna let this beat me.  This bike could be a real beauty & Im determined to get it done...  fistblump :daumenhoch: :Great_Britain:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Losing the will to live....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx