gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 12:01 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  When has it gone too far.. Subjective i know ..
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: When has it gone too far.. Subjective i know ..  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
When has it gone too far.. Subjective i know ..
« on: February 24, 2018, 10:39 AM »
Ok,

So I just bought this beauty & was hoping to keep it Original chrome, however as you can see even with an OA Bath the chrome has gone way too flakey in some areas ...

Kills me to do it but i think it'll have to be stripped & Painted ..... Whaddya  reckon ???  This'll stir up some opinions I'm sure.  Oh & forgive the photos, they are showing as the correct way up on (photo-fook-it)

1984 Wilson Freestyler

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:59 AM by Funkyworm »

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: When has it gone too far.. Subjective i know ..
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Can't imagine anyone having any issues with you stripping it... the chrome looks well fooked.  ???
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Gone beyond keeping as is

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 11:02 AM »
I'm a BIG fan of survivors and my favourite bike (my '83 Laserlite) has some bubbling and missing chrome BUT yeah, this looks like it's too far gone, unless of course you wanted to go for that rat-rod, I-don't-give-a-fook, survivor rider look. :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 11:19 AM »
Agree with Mick, I'm a fpunding father of the survivor appreciation society but that's a little too far gone. It wouldn't be an enjoyable build for me because it doesn't say survivor, more neglect
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 12:30 PM »
It seem's survivor is the new nos  ;) personally I love a good survivor with all the parts it wore bitd whilst being thrashed around by us as kids  :daumenhoch:   so my take is if you have all the parts I'd clean things up and keep it that way especially if your gonna ride it aswell  :daumenhoch: but if your going to re-chrome or paint it then you might aswell go the whole hog and build it more of a show pony build,but we all see things differently? but I'll be interested to see which way you go regardless  :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 01:32 PM »
Strip, kill the rust, then refinish IMHO, but then I'm a tart.

Awesome frame btw, and I must be sad because the weld on the rear of that downtime gusset gets me going  :LolLolLolLol:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 01:46 PM »
As much as I love a survivor that looks like it really needs some love; dechrome and rechrome would be the order of the day for me; well it would be if anyone actually did that well on the west coast of Oz!  They also came in colours too so maybe a white or powder blue would be an option after dechroming  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 07:37 PM »
Callum first refusal please if you decide to move it on outbid me on that one :'(

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Yes, too far gone. I would get it re-chromed although I appreciate it is more expensive than paint.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Ok so I've decided its going to get stripped..

A re chrome would be perfect but prices these days for a proper job costs a small fortune so I think it might get powdered.

I know whey came in white (Manni had one)  & Ive seen a light blue one (Mark Smiths) i believe so I'm going to have a think but i do like the Original white as an option as it just looks clean.

I'll keep you updated ...

Oh & Ian apologies buddy , i was actually gonna contact you about that wilson cruiser you had for sale but i assume i missed that ?

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 11:17 AM »
Yes the Wilson Cruiser sold missed out on Mark Smiths blue one aswell oh well

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 05:13 PM »
didn't think id see one of these again shame its too expensive to have re-chromed although it would look great done white.
I had one of these BITD my last BMX before I left home and moved down south it had loads of top end parts as well I sold it to some dick in work for 80 quid for his son he gave me forty with the promise of the other half later I got sacked that week and never seen the cnut again still bitter after 30 years

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 05:34 PM »
For my personal tastes it's not too far gone. Build with equally worn parts and bingo.  But for some it could be the worst thing in the world.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 04:24 PM »
I like a survivor.

With this, I would strip the chrome and get painted  :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 08:54 PM »
Well she's at the painters....

Trying a local chap on this one, just as he's super local & I've heard good things so we'll see how it ends up... But it was looking ok after a media blast to remove the chrome send it back the first time as it was'nt a good enough job but its much much tidier now..

Delcals on Order  :daumenhoch: :Great_Britain:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  When has it gone too far.. Subjective i know ..

gfxgfx
gfx gfx