gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 07:22 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Weinmann Rims - Possible Shiny Side Project - Anyone Have Experience??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Weinmann Rims - Possible Shiny Side Project - Anyone Have Experience??  (Read 912 times)

Offline gaf16

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
I have sourced some NOS Weinmann rims for my current project in anodised red.
Originally, I was after Ambrosio or Araya but, although a special build for me, the f&f doesn't really warrant the expense of these.
Anyway, I had planned to shiny side the rims for this build with a mirror polish finish.
Looking at the rims, although flat walled, there is no sharp edge or detail at the top of the rim side like on an Araya for example.
I was always planning to have the work done at a polishing shop and reckon with the correct gear they will get a nice straight sharp edge to the polished rim wall.
Before I launch into it, thought I'd see if anyone has tried to shiny side these rims before and how it turned out??
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Gareth.

Offline renegaderacer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Hi Gareth,

I haven't shiny sided any Weinmamn rims before but they can't be too different to most other alloy rims and I've done my share of them.

These are my ways but everyone has their own way of doing things so please don't treat them as gospel.

If you are going to do it by hand:

First, I use wet and dry in about 10 different grit grades starting with 150 grit all the way up to 2500 grit. As your rims are NOS and aren't well worn or damaged, you may be able to miss a few of the courser grades at the beginning. Use it with a sanding block to get the best results. By the time you get to the finest grade your hands will be knackered but your rims should be nice and smooth. Then you could use a fine cutting compound, then finish off with something like Peek.

If you are machine polishing:

I use about 5 different grades of polishing bars from a harsh cut to a very fine one using different mops each time going from hard to soft. If the rims were very badly damaged I'd use a grinding paste on a sisal mop but you won't have that problem. It's easier on the hands and quicker but you should wear gloves, a mask and goggles as the dust gets everywhere. It's also not as easy as it sounds,  especially on rims so you might want to practice on something else first. You can get all the polishing equipment from several places online if you Google it and a little goes a long way so the bars last a while so they're pretty good value.

Either way, it's not going to be particularly quick or easy but the end result is even more pleasing knowing that you've done it yourself.

Hope this helps,

Giles  :daumenhoch:

Offline gaf16

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Thanks for the info Giles.
Quick update:
Being pretty useless at DIY projects, I went to find a local metal polishing company to undertake the work earlier.
Strangely, the first two places I called in at said they could not do it on traditional industrial polishing machines as the polishing mop would not produce a straight line where the rim side wall meets the main rim.
Not to be deterred, I tried a final small polishing company in Willenhall, West Midlands.
Just a bloke and his missus working in a tiny shed at the back of an industrial estate.
Anyway, he's been polishing stuff for 40 years and said it's no problem if you use an alternative polishing tool to the usual mop style.
£15 per rim and will be done by end of next week.
I will post pic's of the results when I get them back.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
not a bad price ,  prep work is the key as stated above ,

well used, uk made  Rigida's,   didn't polish these as i like the flat look on these rims ,also  didn't bother stripping out the gash hubs (must get round to doing that )   this was literally 15 mins per rim, the polish would have been about the samse time to get a mirror finish , bench grinder n mops as above ,   

no gloves , no gogles (cos they make me specs fog up)  n a decent bru at the side of the grinder to catch the dust in , 

danger factor ..... not much,  unless you let go of the rim n it clouts the dog as it bounces of the wall,   start researching  getting dints out of rims at this  point  ;D,

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Weinmann Rims - Possible Shiny Side Project - Anyone Have Experience??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx