gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 07:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1981 Goose
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1981 Goose  (Read 1846 times)

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
1981 Goose
« on: March 10, 2018, 04:17 PM »
Next up for me is this 81 Goose. Although I’ve already got quite a few nice parts for this I’m torn between restoring it and leaving it as it is. It’s a real rat obviously been properly used for what it was meant for, I love it’s originality and has the original shop decal on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: 1981 Goose
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 04:53 PM »
Keep it as is... looks sweet.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 10:00 PM »
My thoughts ^^^ exactly!! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:09 PM »
That rust will keep coming through on the top of the seat stays and at the chain stays by the box section at BB. Get it refinished as you'd done a excellent job on the last build

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 04:06 PM »
That rust will keep coming through on the top of the seat stays and at the chain stays by the box section at BB. Get it refinished as you'd done a excellent job on the last build
Yeah I know what you mean if it was just scrapes and scratches I wouldn’t be too bothered but it is pretty rusty and like you say will only get worse if not sorted out.

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 04:22 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean if it was just scrapes and scratches I wouldn’t be too bothered but it is pretty rusty and like you say will only get worse if not sorted out.

Unless you treated the exposed rust with that liquid that supposed to stop the rust. I can't remember what it's called though

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 04:26 PM »
Give it a citric bath to remove the rust and it'll be reet. Truth is we don't just throw these things in the shed anymore (we look after em) so if it's stored indoors it shouldn't be a problem.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 11:50 AM »

PLEASE LEAVE IT !!!!! ;D

Seriously, please leave it as is.... so, so many frames have been restored and some need to be when they're too far gone, pickled rusted, no decals etc. etc. but this is a crackin survivor and those little touches like the shop decal are only original once, when they're gone they're gone. Pick up a battered one and restore that or one that's already been re-finished and pick a different colour maybe but treat this beauty with some nice survivor OG parts, give 'em all a good clean up and she'll look ace  :coolsmiley:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Agreed with what's been said. Will be lovely built up.  :coolsmiley:

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Hi guys, I’ve got the same dilemma! Got an 81 goose that has been sprayed 2 or 3 times, one coat might have been a primer for the first spray job. It came in white with no decals, was originally chrome. You can see the residue of an original shop sticker on the seat post tube. Not sure if new stickers on salvaged chrome is naf or do I go for a total refinish and decals ? Need to get some nitromors to get the stubborn paint off to see what I have underneath. No nonsense from screwfix isn’t cutting it ! I’m also on a budget so what say you guys?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:20 PM by Chilli Rinse »
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 10:32 PM »
Hi guys, I’ve got the same dilemma! Got an 81 goose that has been sprayed 2 or 3 times, one coat might have been a primer for the first spray job. It came in white with no decals, was originally chrome. You can see the residue of an original shop sticker on the seat post tube. Not sure if new stickers on salvaged chrome is naf or do I go for a total refinish and decals ? Need to get some nitromors to get the stubborn paint off to see what I have underneath. No nonsense from screwfix isn’t cutting it ! I’m also on a budget so what say you guys?

You need Starchem Synstrip mate.  :daumenhoch:
Get it stripped proper and see what you dealing with... but that chrome is looking like it's been keyed though.  :-\

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 10:42 PM »
Thanks for the stripper tip. I feared as much with the chrome, the seat clamp was sprayed too, when I removed it, it was polished unlike what the stripping revealed. Looks like you’ve answered my question, refinish and up the budget 😩

Another question, has anybody powdered the stamped mongoose spiders ? Do you loose the stamp detailing ?
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1981 Goose

gfxgfx
gfx gfx