gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 02:50 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Citric acid bath - Little help please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Citric acid bath - Little help please  (Read 989 times)

Offline mivvi

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Citric acid bath - Little help please
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:23 AM »
Hi all,
Just about to do my first Citric acid bath on a slightly rusty frame, forks and bars. I have the Citric acid but am having trouble finding a suitable container to put everything in. I read somewhere that people had used under bed storage boxes but their not long enough, need something at lease 900mm internal diameter in length. Also is it essential to heat the mixture? and a 10% mixture is strong enough?

Sorry for all the questions but any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers everyone!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Citric acid bath - Little help please
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:42 AM »
people have also used inflatable paddling pools as well

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Can I also ask should the solution be hot or cold?  ???

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Kids paddling pool (the ones with 3 inflatable rings) is ideal as it will deform to any shape you want and cheap enough to bin once you are done, thought its perfectly fine to keep for using on other frames.  :daumenhoch:

Always done mine cold with no issues. Goes pretty cold pretty quick anyway i would imagine, that volume of water
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline jonnydiezel

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:45 PM »
if you want something more rigid I used a 'plasterers bath' the second time I did a frame in ctric acid

griff

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Don't forget to fill in the gaps between the frame tubes with stuff (e.g. old plastic bottles filled with water) so you don't need so much solution  :daumenhoch:

Offline mivvi

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 01:56 PM »
Thanks all for your help. Inflatable paddling pool! I would never thought of that  :D Plasterers bucket may be the way to go if I do more but only have this one to do at the moment. Nice one Griff on the plastic bottles, I would have just filled the whole thing  ::)

I may try and put a few water heaters in there too, only as I have some here. Heaters are for my anodising setup, £700 in and still ain't cracked that either  :-\

Well I think tomorrow is the day and will take some before and after shots.

Cheers lads, you never let me down  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Citric acid bath - Little help please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx