gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975495 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 08:47 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  BMX Coaching for young riders
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BMX Coaching for young riders  (Read 5146 times)

Offline AzurBMX

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Lil' Shredder
  • Rated:
BMX Coaching for young riders
« on: October 18, 2017, 11:16 PM »
 "help"

My son is 4 years old. His name is Azur. He is already a member of the Hackney BMX Club in London but he is not finding it too amazing to race, as he much prefers to freestyle at the skateparks.

Don't get me wrong, for a 4 yrs old he is already very skilled, he has been the subject to some post already here on the radbmx forum  :smitten: (you can see him https://www.instagram.com/azurbmx/)

My question is where can I find a coach to teach him few hours every week, for him to develop his style and skills?

I heard of some young kid in Dorset that has a coach and is even allowed to skip school on Fridays' afternoon to attend his BMX lesson.

After reaching out to the British Cycling who offers a wide range of coach, I have been told 3 times by three different coachs that I would never be able to find a coach for such a young rider (because of insurances)... so you get it... I am desperate to find someone to help my son develop his skills.

If anyone has some tips to point me in the right direction, or is interested to take on the responsibility, well... I am here

Thank you in advance

griff

Re: BMX Coaching for young riders
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 08:47 AM »
Bonjour Cedric
I don’t have the answer but hopefully someone can help
Azur has a lot of talent!

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 10:37 AM »
If he's too young to coach perhaps it's just a case of getting out there with him and practising. Practise makes perfect and all that.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 09:39 AM »
Not sure how it works over there but there isn't exactly too young of an age.
Probably more likely they don't want to coach as from personal experience it is very difficult to "coach" young kids.

My suggestion would be try to get him more of a mentor such as an older rider (think late teens, or someone starting to move into the pro classes) to coax Azur along.
Someone who will ride along with him and make him feel awesome about riding.
They will normally give some good tips and it is more about keeping the hunger to ride there.

We had a program down here for "sprocket rockets" which is for the under 8s.
Basically the main skills are to pedal, balance and simply getting round the track in a safe manner (ie looking straight as you go the way your head is turned)
When I personally coach the kids its generally a go to formula for the large majority until they can start to develop some racing skills.
Next stage is generally cornering, pumping and basic gates. Which is when the racecraft aspect starts to come into play.

So yeah, my recommendation is to try find a good person to be a buddy and go from there.
They don't have to even be a super fast rider, just someone who has a good attitude and is a great role model for the young fella to look up to

Offline phildaw

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 06:33 PM »
Hi AzurBMX, I met you down at ROM a month or so ago.. along with a few of us other older riders. Good to know your lad is still progressing and enjoying himself!

I have found that most indoor skateparks have a resident "coach"... for example at Asylum up near me in the midlands, you can have lessons with Tom Justice (check him out on youtube, he is a great rider).. so it might be worth touring the local indoor, privately run parks and seeing if they offer the same.

Hope you get something sorted.... 

Offline AzurBMX

• Lil' Shredder
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 07:13 PM »
If he's too young to coach perhaps it's just a case of getting out there with him and practising. Practise makes perfect and all that.  :daumenhoch:

Thank you very much for advice. I have in fact been doing exactly just that for the past 2 1/2 years. His skills are overtaking me, that is why i want to find someone who knows more about BMX than I do to help him progress even more...

As an example of me helping a lot, I just booked 2 days at the Adrenaline Valley where I am sure he will learn and enjoy new tricks  :D

Offline AzurBMX

• Lil' Shredder
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 07:18 PM »
Hi AzurBMX, I met you down at ROM a month or so ago.. along with a few of us other older riders. Good to know your lad is still progressing and enjoying himself!

I have found that most indoor skateparks have a resident "coach"... for example at Asylum up near me in the midlands, you can have lessons with Tom Justice (check him out on youtube, he is a great rider).. so it might be worth touring the local indoor, privately run parks and seeing if they offer the same.

Hope you get something sorted....

Thank you so much! Riding at ROM is always epic... we had such a great time that day. Azur still show me the Stickers that says ROM on his bike, always with a smile.
I am going to take him to the Adrenaline valley for 2 days on Wednesday, but too late too book a coaching lesson... I will ask to the local, but I am afaid they have insurance only for5 years old kids... Don't worry I'll keep looking until i get the right guy for Azur, he deserves it !

Offline AzurBMX

• Lil' Shredder
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 07:25 PM »
Not sure how it works over there but there isn't exactly too young of an age.
Probably more likely they don't want to coach as from personal experience it is very difficult to "coach" young kids.

My suggestion would be try to get him more of a mentor such as an older rider (think late teens, or someone starting to move into the pro classes) to coax Azur along.
Someone who will ride along with him and make him feel awesome about riding.
They will normally give some good tips and it is more about keeping the hunger to ride there.

We had a program down here for "sprocket rockets" which is for the under 8s.
Basically the main skills are to pedal, balance and simply getting round the track in a safe manner (ie looking straight as you go the way your head is turned)
When I personally coach the kids its generally a go to formula for the large majority until they can start to develop some racing skills.
Next stage is generally cornering, pumping and basic gates. Which is when the racecraft aspect starts to come into play.

So yeah, my recommendation is to try find a good person to be a buddy and go from there.
They don't have to even be a super fast rider, just someone who has a good attitude and is a great role model for the young fella to look up to

Thank you very much for taking time to answer me.
In fact I am not looking for someone to coach him racing, as he already does that every Sundays with his club, and also at the Olympic Dirt track every other Saturdays... Pumping, gates, corners... all this is on the program..

What I am looking for is a freestyle coach, to take him to the skatepark (with me of course) and show him new things, ride along, give him advice and tips...

I have already asked few good riders, but untill now they have all declined... they dont want to commit I guess... But i'll keep on looking until I find the right person to help him progress.He so loves to ride that he deserves his skills to be taken a step higher :)

Offline AzurBMX

• Lil' Shredder
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 07:26 PM »
Bonjour Cedric
I don’t have the answer but hopefully someone can help
Azur has a lot of talent!

Thank you mate!

Offline mintypete

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 10:02 AM »
Get him in the parks is best, you will find a good crowd at Harrow most weekend.

My lad is coming up 8 and he’s been riding 2 years now. All the older riders are usually happy to talk to the kids and give them some advice.

Best park was Malaga, Rubens Alcantara was giving the local kids lessons, Henry joined in, he’s a really cool guy. Know it’s not local but you might be surprised who you meet at a skatepark.

Good luck with it, my lad loves riding, we are off to Harrow this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Hey Cedric

Ed here ... I sent you the stickers over :-)

You have one Rad Lad there ... I think you'll find that as he gets older and rides more he will just grow in confidence and ge thelp from the people he rides with ... coaching sounds a bit 'serious sport' to me and could put him off!

Top day at ROM is was  :)

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline richiebozza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 12:24 AM »
How's about Mike Mullen (previous Vert Champ)...
http://www.bmxacademy.com
 explosion

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 08:34 AM »
Awesome! that kid rocks!!  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  BMX Coaching for young riders

gfxgfx
gfx gfx