gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 02:13 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Fox Factor F-1 4-Styler & a Little MT Racing History Lesson .... Possibly..
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fox Factor F-1 4-Styler & a Little MT Racing History Lesson .... Possibly..  (Read 11145 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
I bought one of these frames with incorrect forks last November,  Ive always been a massive fan of this frame set & as such did a lot of digging around through my magazines to try get to the bottom of the Fox Factor / MT Racing relationship & to see where the 4-Styler fitted into the collection ....

To be honest some of this is conjecture (maybe a little common sense) but it seems to add up.....

OK so please bare with me :

Released in 1984 The Fox 4 Styler F-1 was the only British Made (Fox Factor) frame & it was made from Reynolds 531 & was solid the UK by  Fox Factor Ltd who were an offshoot of J&B Associates Ltd. 

J&B associates ltd were the MT Racing UK distributor based in Ashford Kent. You can see at the bottom of the few 4 styler adverts that were put out that they have the same address as J&B on their MT adverts...

Here in the U.K J&B re-branded MT Racing's products & sold them under the name of (Fox Factor). I haven't been able to find out why but it could be as simple as there was another company already in the UK called (MT Racing) & had trademarked or Registered the name making to difficult to sell MT Products under that name ...

In 1984 MT Racing still didn't have a freestyler in their range (they were all race bikes) which would have been an issue for J&B as freestyle was about to explode & they had nothing to sell , so as a result it appears that they employed Lynx Engineering at their Hastings workshop to build them a standalone freestyle frame from Reynolds 531 tubing to add in to their UK Range thus giving them a freestyle option to sell here in the until the MT Trick Fox was released in 1985/6 .

A guy on eBay who had this one for sale late 2015 explained all about this in his advert as he was an apprentice at Lynx engineering at the time saying they came out mostly in White Light blue & Gunmetal grey also stating hardly any were made as they were expensive.

The 4 styler was first featured in (BMX Action Bike Nov 1984) as a competition prize , it was yellow & sported Silver fox decals & it was referred to as the (Trick fox) ...

The frames were partnered & sold with MT Racing Super Fox Forks Made By Akisu from 4130 Cromo Tubing . Nobody knows why they didn't also have forks made in Kent as they were advertised as being made from Reynolds 531 in the test & write ups of the time (even slagging off 4130 )... which is ironic.

Im guessing as the Super fox had great (oversized forks) & by using these forks with MT’s signature & distinctive drop outs  that it would have tied the 4 styler in with the rest of the MT or (Fox Factor) range for the year. Also as I've worked for bike & Sports distributors in the past its clear to me that they would have potentially had relationships not only with MT racing but also their frame manufacturer (Akisu) so it might have just been the easy option to get the forks supplied from them.

Ive only been able to track down 4 of these frames thus far with only 2 of them havingthe correct forks although now the cats out of that bag this could change ... :daumenhoch:

I'll add the test images below & then my build...

Ok to my build..

As I mentioned I bought the frame in November with Incorrect forks but i loved the colour green & it had been recently powdered & it reminded me of the advert

I then waited until i could find a super fox, so & bought that bike complete (just for the forks)  & had them colour matched.. I then added some Nos Chrome MT racing UFO Forks to the Super Fox & sold it on ....

Super Fox forks added..

Stock Photo i found of a nos frame set showing the forks again...

Mani did such a great job on his Green 4-styler i wanted to do something a little different .  i actually also had a set of Rickman Bars which the bike was partnered with in the freestyle BMX test & as Mani had also used but i didnt want to so the same build even though i had a lot of the same or similar parts to hand..

I then came across a Shotgun 2 seat , nowI had a nos one of these on my pink Rickman & this one had very little wear so I had it refurbished & built the build around it to make it different from Manis.

I also messed with various bars as wanted something BiG   (Vector VC-10 or Hanter freestyle BIG) & angled too in order to go with the frame as this look definitely in my opinion suited the 3 TRM's that I've owned ... I settled for Columbia freestyle bars however i dont like the freestyle stand so removed this ...

I found an MT racing seat clamp in Greece & decided this would work really well &  a set of Suntour XC-II pedals which i refurbished & rebuilt & Im loving the result...

Anyway heres the pics: Spec to follow:

F&F: 1984 Fox Factor F&F
Bars: Columbia Freestyle Bars (Modified)
Grips: Ame Round
Levers: Dia Compe Tech 3 Refurbished with new hardware
Seat: Cyclepro Shotgun 2 Chequered
Post 531 Cromo
Clamp: MT racing Donut
Stem: Suntour Power Stem
Locking nut: Tange LP440
Callipers: NOS Dia Compe MX-1000
Pedals : Suntour XC-II
Crank: Nos SR Crmo Lite
Power Disc: Tuf Neck Chrome
Chain: IZUMI Black / Chrome
Wheels: Skyway Tuff 2
Tyres: Kenda White Wall

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:35 PM by Funkyworm »

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Cool as fcuk that  :bow:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Wow! Great info and research  :4_17_5: An awesome thread. I rememebr reading the bike-test you posted up there last year.
Your bike looks fantastic - that green looks ace. I love that checkered seat.  :daumenhoch:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
I love it. I agree with your summary/explaination of the MT/Fox Factor branding in the UK. Great research and attention to detail in the build. I have a Fox Factor jacket and racing jersey. I’ll get some photos up tomorrow. Great job!  :4_17_5:

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
This thing is top banana  :4_17_5:

Even the pics are bloody good

Offline burnerboy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
What a cracker! I want one that one!

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
The kind of great research and details that we all love here on Rad!
I’m loving the whitewalls .. it’s exactly the kind of spec that you always saw on bike/ frameset tests in BMX Freestyle magazine  :smitten: :4_17_5: :Great_Britain:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Cracking read and a cracking bike!  "wantit" :4_17_5: :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
What a great thread and some excellent research and info.

It's quite nostalgic reading this and seeing the mag scans as this was the 2nd BMX I had in Jan '86. Mine was pretty much the exact green as that in the 531 blast off ad, although I don't recall mine having a 531 decal on it, Union Jack decal rings a bell, I maybe confusing that with my Piranha though.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline donnydresser

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
fantastic build mate it looks cool as  explosion

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Fantastic bit of sluthing and a build to match  :daumenhoch:
Love it when people go the extra mile with a build and do the research, its this sort of info which makes the site so special  :4_17_5:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Thanks for all of the positive comments chaps

It really makes it all the time effort & expense worth while !

To be honest I’m just trying to prove to Benno that whitewalls have a place in BMX !  :daumenhoch:

Offline Monk_Wally_Honk

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Great thread and bike.
Gertcha!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Pretty fricking cool  8)

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Really liking that green one  :daumenhoch:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
MT/Fox Factor clothing

griff

Great thread, great bike   :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Sorry Cal, I forgot to mention your bike in my comment, it's mint pal, I hope to see it in next months BOTM, it'll definitely be getting one of my votes, if so? fistblump

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Saw a Fox factor Top on ebay t'uther day, can't for the life of me find it now though  :-\
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Saw a Fox factor Top on ebay t'uther day, can't for the life of me find it now though  :-\

Yeah I was watching it ...

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Sorry Cal, I forgot to mention your bike in my comment, it's mint pal, I hope to see it in next months BOTM, it'll definitely be getting one of my votes, if so? fistblump

Thanks Dan,

I won't be bothering with BOTM to be fair as have my issues with it. What really matters to me is that I'm pleased with how it came out & that there's been some kind words in the thread..  Also that i got to do a bit of research along the way which had me delving through loads of my old magazines which always turns up something I've missed before.

Thanks for the support   :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
That top is back up ont bay for 25 bin. Touch small to wear for most i suspect  :(

Offline ollysth

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Love it  fistblump

Offline benno

• Team Moderator
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Cracking research Callum and an even better build, well apart from the obvious that is 😂😂😘😘
Great job mate 👍🏼👍🏼
It comes out of the ground!

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
That is one freestyler I would love to own  :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Fox Factor F-1 4-Styler & a Little MT Racing History Lesson .... Possibly..

gfxgfx
gfx gfx