gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 28, 2024, 11:10 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  I've bought my childhood Schwinn...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I've bought my childhood Schwinn...  (Read 9389 times)

Offline CurbDawg

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
I've bought my childhood Schwinn...
« on: May 22, 2018, 06:05 PM »
Hi, I'm Steve...

I've been on here a while now but haven't logged-in for some time! I used to attend the over 30's BMX Jams at Terminal 1 Skatepark but haven't been to anything lately. If anyone remembers I was the guy who used to do long fakie sliders across the skatepark...

I was originally looking for a flatland bike so I could have sessions with my friend Darren who I believe is also a member on here, but then I stumbled upon a Schwinn PowerGlide that had my name on it! (not literally).

I had a Hydramatic back in '98 which I loved and was one of my favourite bikes of my past, so when I saw the PowerGlide I bought it instantly!

This was me back in '98...

Untitled by Steven Burns, on Flickr

And this was yesterday!

The Powerglide is tattier than it looks in the pictures so I'm going to smarten it up, although I can't decide whether to modernise it or keep it looking original. The bars are too rusty to salvage so I was going to add some kneesaver style bars and maybe a 3pc crank and some chrome rims perhaps? I want to keep it rideable as I'm not really interested in getting it spotless.

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

griff

Re: I've bought my childhood Schwinn...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 09:19 PM »
If you’re going to ride it just give it a clean for now
Let’s see a close up of the bars - you might be surprised how well they come up with a bit of TLC

Offline CurbDawg

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 12:14 AM »
I'll get a picture tomorrow... They're very rusty, far rustier than anything else on the bike!

Offline CurbDawg

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 10:02 PM »
I think you'll agree that the bars are beyond TLC...

I've gone over the forks with wire wool and Autosol and they've come up a treat... I wish I'd taken more detailed pictures of before and after now because they were really tatty before...

I've temporarily fitted some modern bars I had kicking around, but I can't decide what to replace them with...

I think modern bars look too big, although they feel better than old bars IMO. Any suggestions? I'm also unsure of what kind of seatpost to buy as the original says it's a 26.6... Surely that can't be right!?

Here's a pic of my modern skatepark bike... I've tried to keep it looking a little retro but it's no carpet queen, it gets plenty of use!

I've also ordered some brand new gyro cables for the Schwinn... I must say I'm really enjoying breathing some life into the old dog!

In2bmx

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 09:39 AM »
 :coolsmiley:

Offline CurbDawg

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Tonight I continued working on the bike... I used wire wool and Autosol on the inside of the forks. A quick before and after...

Next I stripped the crank and replaced the 44t sprocket with a 25t one so I can run a modern wheelset, and I re-greased the bearings at the same time...

And finally I fitted the new wheels...

I'm now running a freecoaster hub :)

Next job is to fit new gyro cables, which hopefully are in the post!

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 03:56 PM »
I had one of these. Had it painted in pink with silver glitter. Looked like a can of the Hubba Bubba drink that was doing the rounds at the time. Gold Hydraglide decals.

Upgraded mine over time. Gold alloy cranks, better pegs new seat etc. Loved it. In ways I wish I had just stuck with it as the geo was excellent and it rode like a dream. Bloody strong too, I did some stupid drops and gaps on that thing.

Then I started buying really high end stuff, resulting in a ?2000 bike being stolen. That kinda ended the mid school for me.

Always on the lookout for one. Would love to do a throwback to the one I had, in pink and gold.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  I've bought my childhood Schwinn...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx