gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 12:14 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Best Brake Blocks for Caliper Brake?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Best Brake Blocks for Caliper Brake?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline CurbDawg

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Best Brake Blocks for Caliper Brake?
« on: May 25, 2018, 12:40 PM »
In the middle of restoring a 1997 Schwinn and I've just bought new gyro cables. The front brake blocks are past their best so I was wondering what to replace them with? The brake itself is a Dia-Compe Bulldog and I've fitted chrome rims to aid braking power, so I just want the brake block with the best bite!

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Re: Best Brake Blocks for Caliper Brake?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 01:06 PM »
I use "kool stop eagle 2" on my '82 supergoose rider - got a bit of the oldschool look to them and they slow my beer enhanced torso to a standstill !  ::)

Bit squeeky and noisey though haha !  >:D

I believe those clear sticky pads are supposed to be really good  :-\
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 01:19 PM »
Try some clear brake blocks mate.  :daumenhoch: They are made of a very soft compound and therefore they bite really good. Now I use mine (Rubber Dubber - look like Kool Stops) with mags and they work great even them. Before that, I used 'em with Araya chrome-rims but due to the brake forces I was a bit concerned about my DC880 caliper to break. Long story short, clear pads and chrome rims are good friends.   :)

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 02:01 PM »
[quote author=Andyboy77 link=topic=193065.msghttp
Try some clear brake blocks mate.  :daumenhoch: They are made of a very soft compound and therefore they bite really good. Now I use mine (Rubber Dubber - look like Kool Stops) with mags and they work great even them. Before that, I used 'em with Araya chrome-rims but due to the brake forces I was a bit concerned about my DC880 caliper to break. Long story short, clear pads and chrome rims are good friends.   :)
[/quote]

Mate..
Did you purchase these in the U.K.?
If so, have you a link  :daumenhoch: as I have looked but only store I can find is..
But the post is more than the blocks.. :LolLolLolLol:

http://www.oldschoolbmx.de/en/bmx-parts-brakes-co-brake-pads/Stereo-Bikes-Rubber-Dubber-Brake-Pads.html

Thanks.. fistblump
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 02:09 PM by Ady »
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 02:46 PM »
[quote author=Andyboy77 link=topic=193065.msghttp

Mate..
Did you purchase these in the U.K.?
If so, have you a link  :daumenhoch: as I have looked but only store I can find is..
But the post is more than the blocks.. :LolLolLolLol:

http://www.oldschoolbmx.de/en/bmx-parts-brakes-co-brake-pads/Stereo-Bikes-Rubber-Dubber-Brake-Pads.html

Thanks.. fistblump
[/quote]

If the post is more than the blocks you've found the right ones, as these pads are only 7,- Euros or sth. per set. No, I got 'em from the exact same webshop you've posted the link of.
If you'd take four sets or more - I would recommend to store some sets up anyway, as they may endure one season only. Up to 5kg it costs 15,- Euros (13,- GBP) I couldn't get 'em over to you cheaper, otherwise I would sort that for you.   

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Cheers mate.. fistblump
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 03:23 PM »
Cheers mate.. fistblump

I could check the actual postage costs and see if it saves you 3,- or 5,- quid. How many sets would you need Sir?

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Probably x4 sets mate.( 4 pairs)

Offline CurbDawg

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 04:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies lads... I've had a look and it seems that are several brands selling clear brake blocks. Is there a specific brand to go for or more importantly, any to avoid?

griff

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 07:31 PM »
Most clear pads will stick like shit to a blanket

I used generic ones with tuffs using bulldog calipers and that was still enough to pull an endo with me on it

Offline CurbDawg

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 08:07 PM »
Thanks, Griff... Good to know!

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 12:44 PM »
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:51 PM by Ady »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Best Brake Blocks for Caliper Brake?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx