gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 12:43 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Just starting out on park riding
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Just starting out on park riding  (Read 3518 times)

Offline anthony

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Just starting out on park riding
« on: June 12, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Hi all,

I wanted a bit of advice as to the bike choice for skate parks really. I'm not looking to do much, if any, flatland or dirt, just jump around parks. I had one taste of it albeit at the wrong park (XC Hemel, sliding all over the place), so would like to try it properly now I have the right protection.

Ideally as I reckon i'll initially end up on my arse a lot I thought about getting a cheapish but ok bike like a Diamondback Forum which looks like an OK spec.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diamond-Back-Forum-BMX/292598791259'ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

But then I've seen some nice looking Fit bikes like the Augie, Dugan or Mac and although they're a lot more expensive (as they'll be new), it'll save buying another bike in the long run.

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/fit-augie-2018-bmx-bike

So the question here is would both older DB and newer Fit perform the same?

Thanks

Anthony

griff

Re: Just starting out on park riding
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:36 PM »
looking at those 2 I'd def go for the DB

If you want to get a New School bike for actual riding best thing you can do IMO is get a second hand bike, since they tend to depreciate like fook you'll get a much better deal
I don't have the full spec of the DB but I think it's full cromo.

Most important thing is that it fits you, no idea how tall you are but just make sure that you have enough room for your height and if at all possible try someone else's bike for a bit.

Offline anthony

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Hi Griff,

Thanks for the reply.

I am only around 5'5"-5'6" so relatively short.

I recently bought the same DB but the 'turbo' looking one from 2016 (thanks to dingobmxer). I used that at the XC but after a few spills I decided against trying to damage it any more.

Yes I believe the DB is full cromo. OK cool, there are 2 on eBay currently, i'll go for one of those  :daumenhoch:

Anthony
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:58 PM by anthony »

griff

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 05:17 PM »
I'm only a little bit taller than you and ride a 20.75 TT frame no probs, so I reckon you'd be ok on the DB

If you can get it for anything like the start price that would be a bargain IMO - had a bit more of a look and from various sites the forum appears to be a full cromo F&F, rims are decent too and the Odyssey tyres alone would cost around £50 new

Bring it with you to ROM at the end of the month  :slayer:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Hi Antony

The best advice has been given already by our Griff, but if you get a chance to ride someone else's bike first then buy a second hand one off Gumtree or some other cheap site you're heading in the right direction :daumenhoch:

If you live anywhere near the Midlands tag along to one of the Usual Suspects ramp nights that Ed209 puts up on here and we will all let you have a go on our bikes to see which one you get on best with. As long as it's full chromo and got branded parts on it you should be ok and just keep an eye out for a 20.6-20.75" top-tube length frameset and you'll love it

Welcome to newschool - come on In, the water's nice and warm and nobody bites..... :coolsmiley:
Still limping......

Offline anthony

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 09:23 PM »
Thanks Griff, much appreciated. I'll see if Der Führer is ok with me coming down. To be honest I wouldn't be adventurous at all as I've only ridden around a park for half an hour. Romford isn't far from where I live though (near Cheshunt).

Spen, as I mentioned before, I have the same bike but a very slightly different version, it's a bit limited so I don't want to bash it up so need to get one that I don't mind scratching up.

Thanks chaps, feeling the warmth already

griff

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 10:06 PM »
Get the 29th off work
Get yourself to Rom
You’ll have a great time even if your wheels don’t leave the ground
The performance bowl is ace  :2gunsfiring_v1:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Just starting out on park riding

gfxgfx
gfx gfx