gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 09:32 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Rekindling my interest.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rekindling my interest.  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Millsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Rekindling my interest.
« on: June 17, 2018, 05:57 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the rad forum as of today after spending the weekend pinned to my phone looking around at photos and chats about the early to mid 80s bmx scene. I'm trying to kick start all the stuff I've forgotten about from that era because those days were great for me. I've just today dug out my last bike that if I remember rightly I rode last in 1987, its in a bit of a state now and probably worse than I was hoping for when I had the idea of getting it back out to have a little ride round on with my little lad on his bike. I have put a little bit of oil here and there and given the chain a quick wipe over, pumped the tyres up and bugger me I'm 30 years younger and doing wheelies and endo's round my garden just like I used to. Brilliant just Brilliant.
So I now have the love for my quadangle again and I have a decision to make on what I will do with the bike, 1- leave it as is and maybe buy some fresh rubber for the wheels because it looks like the tyres my split if I ride too much on them, 2- go for a full strip down and start a complete restoration on it.
I'm in no real rush, but I'm so pleased I didn't give it away or something daft like that.

Offline burnerboy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Rekindling my interest.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Welcome! Put some pics up so we can see what bike you have there? From the sound of it you have re lived your youth like many of us here! If I still had my BMX from back then I think I would just strip down, re place and grease bearings, clean and leave as is to ride and enjoy, but as always its personal choice!

griff

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Welcome to  :radbmxsmilie:

Let’s see some pics! ;)

Offline Millsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 07:33 PM »
Hi, yes I'll get some photos up as soon as I figure out how to re size them to allow them to upload, it's telling me that my file size is too big as they are. Struggling with it just now.

Offline Millsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 07:51 PM »
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Millsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 07:53 PM »
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Millsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 08:06 PM »
From doing a little bit of searching around, I believe that these are worth a reasonable amount now. I know that when we got it imported via our local shop, the frame and forks cost about 300 quid with a few bits and pieces, all the other parts I took from my haro freestyler which I remember was a much nicer bike to ride but I (kicking myself now) gave to my brother who in turn gave it away.
Any ideas on a rough value as is?

griff

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 12:23 AM »
KEEP IT!!!

Offline Millsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 08:40 AM »
Yes griff, I'm not going to let it go anywhere, I was asking what it'd be worth out of interest that's all.
I did a full restoration on my old fantic 240 and then sold that which I now regret, so my quad is definitely staying with me.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 08:53 AM »
That is a lovely bike with some nice parts...as most on here will tell you just strip it down, regrease  and rebuild. Many on here would LOVE to still have their original bike including myself! You can't put a price on memories... :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Yep please don't be tempted to powder coat it. Whatever the reason for the rear end being that red colour, it's different and original.... A hard thing to find now.
Obviously it's your bike and you should do what you want with it but thinking and hard before you do anything irreversible  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Millsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Yes I totally agree, I'm going to leave the cosmetics, do the bearings and find some fresh comp lll style tyres and just use it as it is. The horrible red paint was my silly teenage idea of covering up a few scratches on the frame, the paint was only 'paint on red oxide' so I may be able to remove it without touching the powder coating.

griff

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Yes I totally agree, I'm going to leave the cosmetics, do the bearings and find some fresh comp lll style tyres and just use it as it is. The horrible red paint was my silly teenage idea of covering up a few scratches on the frame, the paint was only 'paint on red oxide' so I may be able to remove it without touching the powder coating.

Weren't they originally painted?

Check before you put paint stripper on it as it might take the lot off

In any case I quite like it, so there  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 12:18 PM »
PS don't lob the tyres - there's bound to be someone who'd love to use those on a ratty old survivor build ;)

Offline Millsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction for a pair of new tyres preferably in the comp lll style. I've had a quick look at ebay and these look to me to be OK for riding around on, I'm not going to be doing massive jumps and no crazy stunts like I used to, but just gentle riding around.
I know some things aren't worth the money you pay sometimes but if you guys can say there not too bad then I'll get a pair ordered.

Thanks

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 05:51 PM »
 :welcome to  :radbmxsmilie:  :daumenhoch:

You may find a cutting compound would remove the red oxide!

Offline Millsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 06:04 PM »
Yes thanks. That's what I had in mind, something not to harsh used with plenty of elbow grease, should take me hours but there's no real rush.

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction for a pair of new tyres preferably in the comp lll style. I've had a quick look at ebay and these look to me to be OK for riding around on, I'm not going to be doing massive jumps and no crazy stunts like I used to, but just gentle riding around.
I know some things aren't worth the money you pay sometimes but if you guys can say there not too bad then I'll get a pair ordered.

Thanks
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Tioga-BMX-Comp3-Old-School-Gum-Skinwall-1-Fat-2-125-1-Skinny-1-75-20-Tyres/222209918105?epid=5019496765&hash=item33bcbe4499:g:reQAAOSwH4hbEqgR

Offline Millsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 06:15 PM »
Made a start tearing it down to get to the bearings, I must of definitely not wanted it to fall apart when I built it up in the 80's everything is proper tight.

Offline Millsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 06:55 PM »
Getting on with it now.  :) [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Millsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 07:04 PM »
I did have a pair of white skyway tuff ll's and a pair of blue acs z rims, but they seem to have gone missing, looked all over my place there nowhere to be seen, so frustrating trying to remember what I did with my stuff 30 years ago. At least I've still got the araya wheels to go on.
Back to scrubbing and cleaning now.

In2bmx

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Like the look of this how it was .

Love a Quad too  :daumenhoch:

Offline Millsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 11:46 AM »
All I'm doing to it is getting it running smoothly, it'll be as it was. And I'll be riding it like that.

Offline Millsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Whilst rooting around for any bits for the quadangle I came across the original box for a odessy gyro, I think all the parts are still here to build the gyro back up I'll have another look.
Is this sort of thing OK to put on the for sale part of this forum?

griff

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 11:19 PM »
Whilst rooting around for any bits for the quadangle I came across the original box for a odessy gyro, I think all the parts are still here to build the gyro back up I'll have another look.
Is this sort of thing OK to put on the for sale part of this forum?

yes of course - just include pics and a price ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Rekindling my interest.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx