gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 08:48 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Im not sure when i rode my first BMX..
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Im not sure when i rode my first BMX..  (Read 1713 times)

Offline enc

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Im not sure when i rode my first BMX..
« on: June 17, 2018, 07:44 PM »
...or exactly which BMX  i first  clapped eyes on.  One of my earliest memories is of the Team Murray display in Halfords in Bolton town square. They had the full range of Team Murray's  on display in the window.  We'd all been been riding Grifters and these Puch Murrays were something else they looked so cool with pads and anodized parts. looking back, these early bikes were heavy (but lighter thabn Grifters)  and fitted with chain guards .. i guess they were more BMX style than usable race  machines but i take nothing away from Halfords who were responsible for introducing thousands to the sport with the range.  Ive been searching online for pictures of those early bikes and managed to track down most but cant find the one a mates younger brother had.. i think it was near top of the range, fitted with better components and lighter than the others. If memory serves, it was two tone chrome and blue or chrome  and black  with araya wheels and alloy chain ring. 

A short time later, respected road bike shop MK cycles in Bolton opened a second shop across the road from their main store on Tong Moor road.  This second shop was stocked floor to ceiling with proper stuff and we'd spend ages drooling over Mongoose, PK's, Torkers etc etc ..

BMX tracks were thin on the ground in the early days, and being too young to drive we'd build our own in the woods or on the local slag hills. I recall the odd train trip over to the Chorley and Southport tracks. Does anyone remeber the indoor BMX exhibition at Belle View ?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:12 PM by enc »

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Im not sure when i rode my first BMX..
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 08:32 PM »
I guess that'll be Bolton Bmx Centre... got my GT pro from there.  :daumenhoch:

:welcome to Rad btw.  :)
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 05:47 PM »
 :welcome to  :radbmxsmilie:  :daumenhoch:

Offline Manu

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 08:16 PM »
 :welcome
Great return for that nice survivor. :daumenhoch:

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 09:05 PM »
I missed out on the Belle Vue exhibition. I used to ride a bit with a lad called Tudge from Bolton. Do you remember him? Rode a GT I think.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Im not sure when i rode my first BMX..

gfxgfx
gfx gfx