gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975495 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 10:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Which BMX to buy? Expert size - new or used?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Which BMX to buy? Expert size - new or used?  (Read 6832 times)

Offline Verde

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Which BMX to buy? Expert size - new or used?
« on: August 09, 2018, 04:12 PM »
Hi all. I know very little about BMX, but I'm looking at buying my lad his first race bike for his birthday.  I don't want to spend over £200 so not sure if to buy a brand new entry level Cuda Expert or to look for something used... Similar to what I've seen on a FB group, which is a Haro Expert Pro for £120. Any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks,
Jay.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Re: Which BMX to buy? Expert size - new or used?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Hi mate - if you're lad is gonna race then get something second hand but spend your £200 budget as you'll get a lot of bike for your cash. Rule of thumb is usually twice the value as a guide :coolsmiley:

First time he stacks it on a berm and it's gonna be scratched anyway, so look for something tidy but with a few cosmetic scratches and your lad will appreciate it way more as it will be lighter with better components  :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:34 AM »
Yeah, you’ll get a lot more for your money buying secondhand. :daumenhoch:

Has he started racing or at least practised on a track yet? If not, see if you can borrow or rent a bike at your local track, as that might help you to decide which way to go. In any case, keep us posted!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:36 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 08:30 AM »
Yeah, for a first bike second hand is the way to go. Just need to find one that's mechanically fine and you're laughing.

Not sure about over there, but I know my local has "club bikes" which are for the newer people to use while they begin the sport, it also helps with sizing them up.
Even if you do buy one straight up it would be best to have him test ride them for sizing, so long as he is comfortable on it (ie correct crank lengths and so forth) then he should enjoy it more.

Offline Verde

• Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. He can get round the track okay (on his MTB) and we've visited our local club where he had a go on a proper BMX (it's light weight caught him out at first, but other than that he was getting round okay). His measurements were between junior and expert so was going to err on the side of expert as he has quite long levers. No plans to race just yet, just wants to be part of something that his thing, and I'd be made up if he sticks with it because all the family can get involved and have some fun. Away from home at the minute, but once I'm back the hunt for a BMX is on 👍

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 02:44 AM »
Excellent! Sounds like you’re both heading in the right direction! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Verde

• Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 10:34 PM »
Hi all, we've got our first racing BMX! Spent all the budget (£200) on a hardly used SE Racing Ripper X, still has the nobbles on the tyres and looks brand new (think it's 18 months old). Seemed a good deal, but you guys are better Judges there. Anyway, ready to rock, first run out tomorrow  8)

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 09:15 AM »
That's sweet as.
They do have some pretty nice looking bikes, and if its the polished version they look really sweet.

Now to show your young fella some footage of Jason Morris on his SE's  ;D

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Brilliant result mate, £200 for a secondhand SE bike the right size in great condition is the right way to go :coolsmiley:

Just looked the sizes up and spec and I think you definitely did well so I hope your lad enjoys himself on the track as that's what it is all about :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

Offline Verde

• Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Had it's maiden run at Bruntwood tonight, he loves it! Was kissing the bike when it was time to go  ;D

Thanks all, made up with it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:41 PM by Verde »

Offline Verde

• Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 09:45 PM »
Ready to rock...

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 03:33 AM »
Nice one! Stage 2 is to get Dad a bike! :daumenhoch:

Offline Verde

• Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 07:35 AM »
Ha ha, give it a few months and I can see that happening, my 5 year old needs kitting out next, so he'll obviously need Pops to chaperone him around the track  8)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 08:27 AM »
This is a great news story if you ask me.

Bloke finds forum, joins and asks sensible questions.

Forum members answer with sensible advice.

Bloke listens, digests information and makes really sound decisions.

Result = spot on choice, son happy, dad potentially going to get himself and his younger son a BMX to mess about on. Probably will ask further advice and possibly enjoy a new hobby with his kids.

Everyone lives happily ever after. The end.

Really pleased your son has such a great bike and is doing something he enjoys that isn't sat on a sofa playing x-box/PS etc so nice one Jay :daumenhoch:

Also keep our details for when your son wants his next upgrade as my 7yr old might be ready for that Ripper so I'll have it off you next :coolsmiley:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:31 AM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Which BMX to buy? Expert size - new or used?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx