gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 10:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  THE BIRTH OF THE FREESTYLE MOVEMENT - 2ND EDITION, AND ....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: THE BIRTH OF THE FREESTYLE MOVEMENT - 2ND EDITION, AND ....  (Read 3212 times)

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Guys, I wanted to share this with you since there is always a lot of support for these projects from within the UK. I am producing an evolved 2nd Edition of the book. There is a lot to share and a lot of new content. The link below takes you to the new website, where all the details can be found, as well as some package options (for those interested), a super-indulgent video, and a podcast that I recorded with Skatebike and Dig BMX a few weeks back.

I learned some valuable lessons regarding fulfillment on the 1st Edition project (who knew it would be difficult to produce a 244-page history book, while also creating a small business alongside it, and arrange International launches, all within twelve months?) So, with the known challenges of shipping, import duties, etc.,  I have found a way to get these products and the books to the UK, allowing me to ship from within the country. That keeps costs down and takes out the nasty surprises from the postman.

I appreciate the support that I receive from this forum. I plan to be in England and shipping these out in December 2018, and there will likely be some launches in the early new year (2019)

The book has some really exciting new content - in fact, even more, than the podcast suggests with new developments. Thanks and reach out to me via the site with any questions.

Thanks

Dom

http://www.w2wfreestylehistory.com/the-first-edition/

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: THE BIRTH OF THE FREESTYLE MOVEMENT - 2ND EDITION, AND ....
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 11:31 AM »
Still waiting for my custom Bob Haro custom illustrated Artwork from your last venture Dom... >:(   A venture which i very much supported both on here & all over facebook drumming up support.

You know , the artwork that was supposed to be in the crate that cost me nearly £500 for being a supporter of the project ?

The same custom artwork that you were then going to bring to MK 17 & then after that didn't materialise that you were supposed to be  posting to me back in November 17.

And then 3- weeks ago you said you'd post it to me again if i couldn't make Mk (which i couldn't & i advised you of that).....

I think you need to make good to those that have backed you before Dom, before you start looking for money to fund the 2nd edition...

Sorry to go public on this but we've pm'ed for over a year now on facebook & you closed the book page so that nobody could comment on this subject when somebody else had the same complaint .

Im not the only one & If you keep ripping people off your (support will wain somewhat in the UK & everywhere else).  :rant:

Watch this post get deleted by the mods....

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:35 AM by Funkyworm »

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Still waiting for my custom Bob Haro custom illustrated Artwork from your last venture Dom... >:(   A venture which i very much supported both on here & all over facebook drumming up support.

You know , the artwork that was supposed to be in the crate that cost me nearly £500 for being a supporter of the project ?

The same custom artwork that you were then going to bring to MK 17 & then after that didn't materialise that you were supposed to be  posting to me back in November 17.

And then 3- weeks ago you said you'd post it to me again if i couldn't make Mk (which i couldn't & i advised you of that).....

I think you need to make good to those that have backed you before Dom, before you start looking for money to fund the 2nd edition...

Sorry to go public on this but we've pm'ed for over a year now on facebook & you closed the book page so that nobody could comment on this subject when somebody else had the same complaint .

Im not the only one & If you keep ripping people off your (support will wain somewhat in the UK & everywhere else).  :rant:

I agree totally. I was at MK and even though there was the promise of the prints there. They were not.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 10:30 PM »
While I'm sure many appreciate the time and effort you have put into these books I can't help but think we only see you on here when you have something to pedal to us. Is this new book just the old one with all the bits that never made it into the first addition thrown in?
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline 76

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 07:10 AM »
The 1st 200 books seem expensive at 225 compared to the single 'print run' book at 40???  What else do you get for the 225 that you don't get for the 40 instead of a numbered book?

I remeber the first book and was going to buy at the time but for whatever reason I got distracted and never did, with the guys experiences up the page here I'm glad I never, they appear to have had a pretty shi**y experience. :(

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Ripping people off. That made me spit tea down my nose. These packages were pretty amazing value I think. I also don't make the rules where shipping items into the country is concerned. In fact, you likely know more about that than me, so that discussion should take place between you and your local MP. The artwork was unfortunately produced very late in the project for reasons I won't go into. These will be posted out in the near future at an additional cost to me personally, although the delay had nothing to do with me.

On this project, I am shipping from within the UK. That scenario takes quite a bit of organization and negotiation, not to mention extra cost to the project. I also spent $7,000 bringing 15 of the riders to the UK last summer for you guys to be able to meet and chat too as well as arranging a one-off launch event at the House of Vans. The point is, my motivations are pretty pure and do not prioritize financial gain - trust me I could find a few million other topics to write about that would be a lot more lucrative and exciting. But, for the record, my motivation is to put this story on record for those who have a genuine connection to it and appreciate it. I never take shortcuts, I never let my opinion override facts and research, I never avoid costs that often come out of nowhere, and I hope what I produce are projects that excite people that have a genuine interest in BMX history.

For those who dig the projects, identify with the challenges of delivering them, and actually read the books, I sincerely appreciate your support. These packages are good value and they are the vital component that allows me to spend months traveling and working full time on the books - then printing and celebrating the story in physical venues, not in chat rooms. I see nobody else doing it and that's not a surprise to me for many of the reasons noted above.

More on the Haro drawing from the postman.

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 07:28 PM »
While I'm sure many appreciate the time and effort you have put into these books I can't help but think we only see you on here when you have something to pedal to us. Is this new book just the old one with all the bits that never made it into the first addition thrown in?

You should probably visit the link I posted above and actually take the time to read the updated information. That tells you everything you need to know about the 2nd Edition project. The 1st Edition was packed with unknown information, unseen images from over 62 contributors. The 2nd Edition is 30% larger with a ton of new information and over 90 contributors.  Peddling something to you. That's hilarious. What are you doing to move the needle?

Offline dp and chopper dude

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 08:42 AM »

You should probably visit the link I posted above and actually take the time to read the updated information. That tells you everything you need to know about the 2nd Edition project. The 1st Edition was packed with unknown information, unseen images from over 62 contributors. The 2nd Edition is 30% larger with a ton of new information and over 90 contributors.  Peddling something to you. That's hilarious. What are you doing to move the needle?

You should probably look round the forum and actually take the time to read the posts. Then you’d find out what people are doing to move the needle as you put it. He released a publication himself at MK16. There are plenty of other creative and helpful projects he’s done. I’ll leave all that up to you to find out.

Good luck with the book  :daumenhoch:

Offline Tachikoma

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 07:40 PM »
Excuse the long winded nature of this post but:
The way i see it, you are producing a product, where funds from the purchase of that product and its subsequent special editions / extra content allow you to be able to do so, especially in this case where the people purchased your product and thus supported your endevour prior to there being a product ready to ship..
Starting a second project and expecting the same crowd to be as supportive and excited, while many are still waiting for promised items from the prior project is just..  how should i put it..  a stretch?

With these sorts of projects, regardless of the work you put in, the money you pay or the effort it takes, your customer-base essentially has to act on faith that a product will be delivered with all of the promised extras, seeing as these extras are the things that hiked up the price of the respective versions that, as you yourself have outlined, made the production of the first product possible.
When you don't deliver on what was promised, you put strain on that trust, and the more time that passes before the promise is delivered, the more strain is placed on those that supported your initial project.

To start a new project before making good the promises of the first project, is in my opinion, bad form.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 07:44 PM by Tachikoma »

griff

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 10:08 PM »
What Dan said basically ^

I ordered the First First edition
Very happy with it, the book is great but I don’t need another one that’s got 30% more in it
Of course if I hadn’t got the first one I’d be very interested  :daumenhoch:

Regardless of who’s fault the delay was for the ‘special’ orders, ultimately it’s you who advertised them & took the payments - I know you have done this project with the best of intentions but I can also see how people can be miffed when they don’t get what they paid for & see new stuff coming up for sale

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 03:09 PM »
Never got round to buying the first edition so have just ordered a copy of the second edition  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 06:25 PM »

The artwork was unfortunately produced very late in the project for reasons I won't go into. These will be posted out in the near future at an additional cost to me personally, although the delay had nothing to do with me.

Bob Haro Artwork still not arrived ....

Can you please define (near future) so that the people who invested in this Project at great expense nearly  2 years ago can finally have what they paid for .......... ???

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 12:43 PM »
Still nothin .... :bellend:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Cant say im surprised unfortunately  :-\
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  THE BIRTH OF THE FREESTYLE MOVEMENT - 2ND EDITION, AND ....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx