gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 01:46 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Brake calliper fitting - looking for advice
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Brake calliper fitting - looking for advice  (Read 1232 times)

Offline GooseJuice

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Brake calliper fitting - looking for advice
« on: October 19, 2018, 09:18 PM »
Hi

Looking for some brake fitting advice on what is my first project bike.  When I got the bike (an 83 Supergoose) it needed new brakes.  As a quick and somewhat cheap fix so I could get some late summer use out of the bike I bought these Dia-Compe style brakes from Alan's BMX and fitted them with clear pads to prevent rubber marks on the wheels:

http://www.alansbmx.com/1353581/products/oxford_mx1000_oldschool_brake_set.aspx

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get the callipers to sit right. When I tension the brake level the movement between each side of the brake differs greatly and I think this is because no matter how much I attempt to tighten the callipers to the frame they move too much.  It's tough to explain so I've uploaded a couple of videos here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kQdF4hMYYebJDW518

This is either one of two things - the quality of the brakes I bought or that there's simply a knack to doing this that I haven't figured out.

I'd really appreciate some advise from the veterans on here!!  Thanks in advance.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: Brake calliper fitting - looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 10:06 PM »
It's a common problem mate.  The brakes look like a cheapo copy which wont help but they should still work fine with a little fettling. A tiny drop of oil between each of the parts on the axle can help but I usually bend the spring on the weaker side straighter so it counteracts the unbalanced nature of these brakes
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 04:53 AM »
You need to centre the spindle of the caliper, this video from Park Tools shows you everything you need to know to get it right  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline GooseJuice

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 08:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The video in particular clarified a lot for me. With a bit of jiggery pokery this afternoonI've managed to get the Goose running much better.

Great community on here. Will definitely be spending more time on the site while I keep going on the project over winter. Cheers!!

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Brake calliper fitting - looking for advice

gfxgfx
gfx gfx