gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 09:36 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Polishing hard anno rims advice please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Polishing hard anno rims advice please  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Polishing hard anno rims advice please
« on: November 07, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Can you polish these out to a shine or not? They look like a really worn black to me so was wondering if you can strip back what looks like the faded colour and then polish it up? or are they this colour all the way thru? advice greatly received  :daumenhoch:

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Polishing hard anno rims advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 09:00 AM »
I polished a set of Pro class hard anodised rims, I used caustic soda to strip them, they took much longer than standard anodised rims, just keep checking them as caustic will eat in to the alloy if you're not careful, I used a red scotch pad to rub the rim, you must wear thick industrial rubber gloves 👍
British race frames and race clothing wanted

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 09:22 AM »
I had the black anodising stripped off mine they were a bit of a state they came out ok but are a bit dull as you can see from pic not sure if they would polish up though 👍

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 11:29 AM »
thx Sawzall i tried the usual oven pride route to strip them but it just isn't touching them? so caustic soda maybe  the way to go...Quadog what did you use to strip yours? Its deffo the hardest thing I've ever attempted to strip!  ::)

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 11:41 AM »
thx Sawzall i tried the usual oven pride route to strip them but it just isn't touching them? so caustic soda maybe  the way to go...Quadog what did you use to strip yours? Its deffo the hardest thing I've ever attempted to strip!  ::)

I took them to a place that done anodising cant remember the name of the place they stripped them for me my intention was have them polished but if I remember now the guy said they couldn't do it but it was only a tenner to have them stripped worth asking a few anodisers local to yourself.  I couldn't get the stuff off with anything think they done them that way to strengthen the alloy ?

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 12:26 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Polishing hard anno rims advice please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx