gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 02:34 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Raleigh Chrome Burner
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Raleigh Chrome Burner  (Read 3306 times)

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Raleigh Chrome Burner
« on: November 09, 2018, 08:21 PM »
About six months ago I’m working in someone’s house and I spot this hung on the wall.

I get chatting to the lad and it’s his childhood bike. He then goes on to tell me he’s got another old school bmx in his garage that he’s saved from the scrap man and I can have it if I want as long as I do something with it and not just throw it away.
So now I start getting excited imagining all sorts of BMX exotica getting rolled out of the garage. Imagine my dismay when it’s this!

I chuck it in the van and it sits out the back of the house for a couple of months before I realise how much the mk1 Raleigh Burner was such a part of my early BMX years. Loads of my mates had them, I’d stare at them in the catalogue before I had a BMX, everywhere you went there were Burners.
My intention was to build a spec chrome burner but after  struggling to find the correct forks for it and getting my hands on a cheap set of Tange tx1200 and having a load of spare parts after breaking my Peugeot up I decided to build a slightly upgraded version. Here it is, a thoroughly enjoyable build and easy on the pocket too!

This old knacker up next for my daughters pink build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Raleigh Chrome Burner
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 08:43 PM »
Looks great. Yeap too many burners about to go up against. Got an Ultra Burner to do which my brother had.

Interested to see the 'pink knacker' done. My second BMX phase in life started by buying an old MT racing frame to build for my daughter. Next thing I know I've got a room full of bikes and parts.. :-\ fun though!
Haven't built it yet but looking forward to it. Need more parts..

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 08:50 PM »
That came up a treat 👍

What did you do with the CW bars as looking for a set.. fistblump
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 09:22 PM »
That came up a treat

They were shitty copies which had been cut down so far the levers barely fit on. Just sold a  lovely set of Win CW type bars too that took me ages to shift.

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Looks great. Yeap too many burners about to go up against. Got an Ultra Burner to do which my brother had.

Interested to see the 'pink knacker' done. My second BMX phase in life started by buying an old MT racing frame to build for my daughter. Next thing I know I've got a room full of bikes and parts.. :-\ fun though!
Was  going to do this mk1 for her but seemed a shame to spoil it painting it pink. They’re not the best to ride either so didn’t want to put her off BMX for life!
I offered to buy her something new school so she wasn’t laughed at but she’s took an interest in my hobby and even brought her friends round to have a look at my bikes and was amazed how cool they thought it was that I was building a bike for her.

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 09:35 PM »

Was  going to do this mk1 for her but seemed a shame to spoil it painting it pink. They’re not the best to ride either so didn’t want to put her off BMX for life!
I offered to buy her something new school so she wasn’t laughed at but she’s took an interest in my hobby and even brought her friends round to have a look at my bikes and was amazed how cool they thought it was that I was building a bike for her.

Good effort pal. Same really but she's a bit young at the moment. Been going to markets etc trying to find parts (we never do), but she likes it anyway..

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 09:47 PM »
That came up a treat

They were shitty copies which had been cut down so far the levers barely fit on. Just sold a  lovely set of Win CW type bars too that took me ages to shift.

👍👍

Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Looks a great bike.

Respect for saving it  :coolsmiley:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Raleigh Chrome Burner

gfxgfx
gfx gfx