gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 11:10 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch Quality
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hutch Quality  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Hutch Quality
« on: November 26, 2018, 04:57 PM »
Hi All,

I’ve just took my Hutch Trickstar apart to give it a bit of a clean then realised how bad the condition of the paint was on all the usual places so it looks like a full re spray but what I also noticed was that the quality it’s a bit shite when compared to other makes next to my laserlite it looks like I welded it same goes for my quad .so has anyone else noticed this as when you look through old mags they were not cheap always thought they were the bollocks .Also what is the RAL code for pink 👍

Offline Cherrypicker

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Hutch Quality
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 06:07 PM »
Best to just throw it away really. I’ll come get rid of it for you  :daumenhoch:
HIT ME UP IF YOU GOT A TEAM PRODUCTS LEVER (RIGHT) TO SELL

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Never owned a Hutch but have read plenty of threads about suspect build quality on Hutch. They could not get them out the door fast enough in 84/ 85 demand was so high that quality sometimes suffered no matter who the manufacturer   :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 07:01 PM »
I've got a U.S. made '84 TS and the welds are very good and nothing like yours. Going off your platform supports,it looks like yours could be 'far eastern' made with the baseball stamped serial number.

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 07:06 PM »
I also think it depends where your Hutch was made/welded/painted etc too ......Never thought Hutch had the best reputation for there frame sets...usually when you find a used example there in very poor condition and the chrome ones were the worst of the bunch! poor chrome that peeled like a ripe banana!

Offline Clean

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 07:12 PM »
I've got a U.S. made '84 TS and the welds are very good and nothing like yours. Going off your platform supports,it looks like yours could be 'far eastern' made with the baseball stamped serial number.

I didn’t know that Koizuni made Hutch framesets, but I would not denegrate the build quality of their gear, “Far Eastern” or not.

There is many a Diamond Back out there rolling around which sports the - much sought after, in fact - baseball stamp.

Just sayin’, like.

:daumenhoch:

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Yep it has the baseball symbol the brake bridge is way to high as well hence the calliper on the underside must have been a Friday bike or they were on sake 🇯🇵

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Clearly Quadog isn't happy with the quality of his Trick Star. Maybe Diamond Back were on the case when it came to Quality Control and Hutch were not. I use the words "far eastern' as I can't remember exactly which country the baseball stamped frames were made. At one time though,I did have a pair of Trick Star forks that were stamped 'Tange' which was an eye-opener for me.
As for issues with peeling chrome,I can only speak from personal experience. I've owned mine since 1985 and have never had the chrome peel. Just the usual fading in the nooks 'n crannies which I partly put down to using autosol on it in the 90's. Autosol is way too abrasive.

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Just picked up F&F and parts today freshly powdered ordered some new decals from Del then I’ll probably make an arse of it and scratch and chip it up putting it back together as I’m a right clumsy bastard 🙈

Offline tfi_friday

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Looks well :)

Japanese Trickstar quality is all over the place, some nice examples that even look like a US built frame (with regards frame stander support and brake bridge) and some that you can't even mount a rear brake on due to the bridge being mounted too high.

I've a Japanese Koizumi made frame ("baseball" stamped) and couldn't be happier with the quality of the welds and build.

That being said... from what I've heard the Japanese quality is still better that the Tawain made frames
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:40 AM by tfi_friday »

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Finally got this back together after a new paint job was going to change the look a little but as its my missus bike she preferred the pink bars and post. I had made up some snide woody Itson bars from a set of chrome repop power wings and some hutch decals a set  chrome mx 1000s with chrome  post also I managed to get power disc for my bullseye crank thought that will look a lot  better than the crank set up I have now I went to put it on then remembered it catches the rear calliper which is on back to front because of the bastard high brake bridge to be honest I think it needs a set of aerospeeds to finish it off .So it stands like this for now would like some opinions on the chrome parts though see if I can sway the missus .
If not check fleabay for a nos set of hutch woody bars just £250 bargain 👍

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 07:55 PM »
Nice build. Looks fab and not over the top  :smitten:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 08:29 PM »
You got the Woody decal the wrong way round Scott!  :crazy2:
I reckon chrome bars and post might look good...leave the 880's on though, fook the Mx1000's 
Looks pretty sweet as is though... :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 08:31 PM »
Tidy that Scott.  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 12:10 AM »
She's pretty in pink! Always used to prefer the lilac/lavender/purple reign colourway but must admit to liking the pink more and more. :daumenhoch:

Clearly Quadog isn't happy with the quality of his Trick Star. Maybe Diamond Back were on the case when it came to Quality Control and Hutch were not. I use the words "far eastern' as I can't remember exactly which country the baseball stamped frames were made. At one time though,I did have a pair of Trick Star forks that were stamped 'Tange' which was an eye-opener for me.

Just to clear this up, the "baseball" stamped frames were made in the Koizumi factory in Japan (the baseball-like symbol is the company logo) then later on Hutch (along with a host of other companies) moved their manufacturing to Taiwan. I was a always a bit sniffy about Taiwanese-made frames but I have to say that the welding on my '84, Giant-made Redline 500a looks great. That said, I suspect that quality-control in the early days was less than perfect, as they just wanted to get as many bikes made and sold as quickly as possible before the bmx bubble burst. ::)
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch Quality

gfxgfx
gfx gfx